Patellectomy No Kneecaps and a TKR<

In the social forum "pets and recovery" thread...page 10, message 191 are before and after pics of Tootsie. It will make you giggle. I couldn't quote it with my tablet.

Has your foot and/or knee caused you to limp? Could limping cause your old knee to act up?

Ah Tootsie is adorable. I can see why you fell in love with her! She does look tiny.

My foot is on the old knee leg and I haven't been limping. The foot doesn't hurt much to walk on it, it just has pains sometimes. The bone spur is getting larger and won't get any better, so it has to be taken care on. My old knee has needed replacing for years. I moved wrong and pushed against it one morning while still in bed, and that must have broken off some meniscus cause it hurt like the dickens. Now, each step hurts. I have been using some hemp cream, but it's done nothing to help. My appointment with the OS isn't until 4/17 but I'm going to call tomorrow and see if there has been a cancellation so I can get in earlier. I can't take on a new tkr while the old one isn't right. I haven't had a shot in lefty for over 15 years, so I am counting on it helping me a lot.

How's your back and knee?

I did the same thing to my knee years ago. Rolled over and boom! Pain and it swelled up like a football. I had to go to work which made it feel really good LOL. Had it drained a few days later. Knees. Geez.
I'm counting on the shot to help you, too. Did you get an earlier appointment?

My knee is ok. Just a little muscle ache from a lot of activity. It's a good ache. The back is hanging in there. Not too bad. I can do so much more now than before. I need to strengthen the muscles.

I tried to get an earlier appointment but nothing is available. It's scary, I just found out this group has been bought out by VCU, (Virginia Commonwealth University). They don't have a very good reputation. I bet the transition will be a pill with lots of lost records. The service is sure to suffer. We don't need bigger medical groups, we need smaller and more personal.

I guess I'll limp along until I can get that shot in the old knee. The new one was fussing last night while trying to sleep, so both of them need to be put in the corner for a timeout for a while! I'm tired of them bugging me!

I know what you mean about a good muscle ache! It lets you know that you're doing things you haven't done in a while, and that's good. Since getting back to the Y, I know all about those muscle aches!

I'm sorry for the hassle about the medical groups, Paula.
These things never seem to consider the patients' needs.

If we don't have some knowledge and advocate for ourselves it's not a good thing. This forum is a great resource for knowledge and awareness!

Hope a cancellation happens and you can get in sooner than later.

Thank you, but that doesn't seem likely. His next available appointment would have been the end of April. By then I should have an idea of how this group will be after the huge medical group has taken over.

I had a real scare a couple of hours ago. There was a tornado warning in my small, no stoplight town. I grabbed my phone and headed to the closet after turning up my TV tuned to the local station. It went north of me. I haven't heard if it was on the ground or not. Unfortunately, the worst is yet to come. It looks really rough south of us. My joints feel the drop in the barometric pressure. I'm praying hard that God will dissipate these awful storms.

Are you fairing OK. It looks like you're getting some heavy rain.

Hugs to you, Paula, I was just thinking of you so I was glad to see you post.

Good idea to turn up the tv!

I’ll be praying. :console2:

We had some tornado concerns when we lived in Ohio. None ever came to our town while we lived there, but it was alarming one evening when I heard on the tv “if you live in (wherever it was) get in the basement now!” in a stern warning tone of voice. It still gives me chills to remember it.

@sistersinhim we had tornado warnings twice today. The wind was whipping the rain, so I trekked to the basement with my phone and cat. It seems to have blown over here, hopefully it’s gone from you as well. Yes, my knee has hurt today too!!

We designated the place under our basement stairs as our tornado safe spot. I went so far as to put something to sit on in this area, some bottles of water, a box of crackers, and our cat’s carry case.

My husband thought I was rather silly, though he didn’t actually say that. He asked me how long I thought we’d be there, and told me tornados go by quickly. I told him if major damage happened to the house and we were trapped there, he’d be happy we had those things!

Thankfully in the 7 years we lived in Ohio we never had to go to our safe spot.

@Jockette I spoke with my sister who lives not too far from you. She said a tornado touched down in Delaware. I hope you are okay.

@4quilts I’m fine. I had not heard that, I had to look it up. It was last Monday. I do remember we had a tornado warning then for a while.

Boy, what a scary, early night we had here. Another tornado warning came through my phone about 7:30. I had been watching this thing traveling up from NC and heading straight for us. I got all the kitties inside and was glued to the TV. My foot, where the spur is, was screaming. My old knee, and new knee quads joined in the yelling contest. I again grabbed my phone, turned up the volume on the TV and headed into my closet. Then the power goes out. It was raining so hard that I wouldn't have been able to hear a roar if the tornado was headed over me anyway. Thank God it didn't. I have no idea where it hit. I did walk around the yard afterwards and just saw lots of twigs and leaves all over. God is so good!

I got a so-called update on my foot this past Wednesday. After waiting to see the OS for over 2 hours, I saw him for about 15 seconds. He said I had arthritic changes. That what he said in my previous visit! I will NOT be going back to this group for any of my orthopedic needs. It has been bought out by a teaching hospital. We were jammed in there like livestock. My previous records were disregarded, saying that they were Virginia Commonwealth Medical now and needed them done their way. What a shame.

Even with a tkr, weather is still affecting my knee. It's not nearly as bad, but still there. Hopefully, I'll outgrow it!

Wow, scary weather! I’m glad you’re ok!

Sorry about the Dr visit. It’s ridiculous. I’m trying to stay as far away from them if I can.

Sorry about the Dr visit. It’s ridiculous. I’m trying to stay as far away from them if I can.
I remember the days when doctors were actually interested in what the patient had to say. Now that they are big business, our personal attention has fled. Insurance companies took over our care and we are nothing but money makers for them. I bet my 15 second OS visit will cost 100s of dollars. I'd contest it, but why bother. I'm just one little person against a huge conglomerate. I pray I never have to have surgery ever again.

A half grown squirrel was blown out of a tree last night. One of my cats found it and brought it in to me. I kept hearing something squeaking during the night and discovered it was that baby squirrel. I was able to catch it, getting bitten in two places!, and took it back outside. I hope mama can find it. I have a birdhouse with baby bluebirds. The house is still upright, but I haven't checked the babies yet. Normally, mama will stay with them during bad weather.

My new knee is still uncomfortable this morning. It might be all the up and down from off the floor that I did yesterday and last night. I can do it, but it's difficult. It always has been since my kneecap removals. The OS said that my legs would be left weaker and this is a sure sign of it! At least I can roll over and walk up with my hands. Not a pretty sight, but doable!

How are your aches and pains doing? Did the bad weather affect you? Since we lost power and cell phone coverage, I had no radar to keep up with it.

Poor baby squirrel! I guess the cats didn’t hurt it?

We didn’t get much of the storm last night, as far as I know. If we did, I must have slept through it.

My knee is ok, but it didn’t have much weather to deal with.

The squirrel took off when I let it go into the woods, so I assume it's OK.

Great that you didn't have the bad weather. Is your knee any better or the same?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom