Patellectomy No Kneecaps and a TKR<

I am single and feel that Bonesmart members are part of my family. Spending at least 12 hours a day on here most every day brings about an intimacy like no other site can for me. When I cut my computer on in the morning, Bonesmart comes up with Windows and is up until I go to bed at night, unless I leave the house for church or shopping or something like that. When you guys feel like things aren't going right, I am right there with you in my own way. We hold each other up, whether in prayer or a shoulder to cry on. For many of us that's all we have. As long as I feel this closeness and that I can help someone, I'm here! They'll have to kick me out to get rid of me!

I will pray about this knee situation of mine and when I feel peace about it I'll make the decision that I feel God is leading me to do or not to do. Each day is a new day and a chance for the knee to snap back to what it was a year ago! After all, "all things are possible for those who..." Well, you guys know!

Last edited:
You changed your title, too!!!

I had to do a double take at that title, then I saw your user name, briefly thought second thread, remember who’s user name it was and realized you changed your title!

It’s amazing how many thoughts can go through one’s head in 2 seconds! :rotfl:

By the way, great title, as was the original. :wowspring:

Thanks, Jockette. I wanted to catch the attention of anyone who has no kneecaps and to them know that they can still have a tkr. I searched a quite a bit for an OS who had replaced knees without kneecaps. I then searched on here for those without kneecaps. I found a couple of people and one lady even called me and talked to me about her experience! What a blessing she was at a time I was so scared! I think the title of our threads can be helpful in the search of those in the same situation as we are.

@Josephine, is a hyper-extension a sign of an implant's instability? It happens at times while walking. My bend does not feel unstable.

Not necessarily. Some people have hyperextension normally in knees and elbows. But after a TKR it would more likely be a sign of instability in the ligaments.

Some people have hyperextension normally in knees and elbows. But after a TKR it would more likely be a sign of instability in the ligaments.
Would exercise tighten up the ligaments or do they stay the way they are with only the muscles building up?

@sistersinhim, my right knee that did not have a TKR/revision hyperextends all the time. When I use to do Pilates, my instructor wanted me to do exercises to strengthen that knee. I never did them enough for it to help with the hyperextension. :umm:

I looked up exercises for it, but googled didn't have anything. Hopefully, Josephine will. This might be caused by my having no kneecaps. Though, my new knee doesn't hyper-extend when it's flat on the floor like my old one does. The tkr knee goes backwards when its extra tired. It doesn't hurt, but causes me to be off balance. I'd like to take care of that problem.

@sistersinhim, I found my Pilate's exercise instructions for a hyperextended leg. It is mainly hamstring work.
1. Use or not use a TheraBand: lie on stomach, pull heel to butt (2 sets of 10).
2. Standing: bend knee upward, push foot up towards ceiling. (2 sets of 10).
3.Bridges: pull abdominal up & in "zip up jeans". Protect back.

@Cementless, thank you so much for digging out those exercises for me. I will wait and see what Josephine thinks I should do since my implant might be loose.

I went back to the Y today and had a pretty extensive workout plus swimming. I am wiped out now! My new knee is a little sore, but not bad. It has been feeling better since I've been swimming again. Tonight and tomorrow will tell the story on how much machine work I can do on my legs, if any. I can always work on my upper body. My belly is a disaster! I've let it go way too long. It's gonna take lots of crunches to make that thing shrink!:gaah: How come it's so much harder to loose weight when we are women and older? Not fair!:tantrum:

I’ve been away for a while and I just realized the problems you’re going through. I’m so sad to hear about your TKR possibly being loose. You’ve always been so helpful to me and others on here. I hope it’s not bad enough for a revision.

@jboles, thank you so much. I'm keeping my faith and thinking positively that it's not loose. If things get worse I'll call for an appointment with a 2nd opinion.

I made it to the Y 3 times last week. My new knee isn't happy, but 1000mg of Tylenol helps some. I also got the prescription for the Diclofenac topical gel and still haven't reached a decision about it. It seems to help for a few minutes, but not so much after that. That is hardly worth the almost $30 for one tube that I paid for it! My prescription insurance classifies it as a tier 3 drug and I have a $500 deductible for those. I will be searching for a new insurance come next October. I also called and left a message for my OS asking what leg machines I should avoid and what maximum weight I should use if they were OK for a tkr. The PA called back and said there were no restrictions at all. I'm surprised. I bet she never asked the OS.

I start PT and ultrasound tomorrow morning. It will be interesting to see how aggressive they want to be with me. They will have a tough one on their hands if they try to be! I'll let you'all know what happens tomorrow afternoon.

Sending you good vibes for tomorrow. Cannot wait to hear all the detail.
:flwrysmile:

What all did you do in the pool? Did you enjoy being in the water? If so, maybe just go and hang out in the pool, literally. Last summer that’s what I did in our pool, I went to the deep end and hung out there and chatted with my neighbors who were doing the same thing. (I’ve learned the value of floating on those pool noodles!) We only go to the pool occasionally to be social. Very few adults in our community use the pool, let alone actually swim!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom