BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

[TKR] No Kneecaps and a TKR<

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by sistersinhim, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    You know, that's exactly what I get but I know it's from the loose implant moving around inside the bone. I've read through your thread and don't see any mention of the possibility of a loosening? Or did I just miss it?

2. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    I don’t get any pain that wakes me up. But then, my legs are elevated all night every night, and because of the design of my wedge, I stay still all night.

3. Cementless

Cementless senior

Before you make the appointment with the allergist, make sure he does metal allergy patch testing, otherwise it is a waste of your time and money! If he does, the allergist can also write a prescription for the blood work that the Chicago lab needs too. Then you would have something to compare. Patch testing and blood work for metal testing don't always match up. That was what happened to me @sistersinhim

4. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Who knows? No one told me that I'd be traveling an hour to see a PA. If I had known that, I would not have gone. But, I did get the xrays, and they show nothing wrong. But, something is wrong.

I have thought that it might be loose, especially since it's getting worse. I posted my xrays, but you said they looked OK. Of course, it seems like many times the loose implant doesn't show up. How did you find out yours was loose? If I'm remembering correctly, your xrays looked good, too.

5. sistersinhim

We recommend that a person gets the blood allergy test. Why do both? The patch test normally doesn't show near as much as the blood work does.

6. Cementless

Cementless senior

@sistersinhim, I disagree. I had both done twice. Each time they showed different allergies. I wanted to make sure this time before my revision. It also helps if your OS revision doctor takes those tests seriously....some do not.

7. sistersinhim

@Cementless, I will make sure I'm taken seriously. I am fortified with my experience on Bonesmart these last 3+ years. I was a strong person anyway, but am really stubborn and strong now when it comes to my knees!

I have a new symptom added to my other ones. Today I'm hurting right in the middle of my knee like it would hurt under a kneecap, but I don't have one! These are more pains than an ache. @Josephine, could this be the patella tendon hurting?

8. Josephine

No 'could' about it! I'd say it definitely is!

9. sistersinhim

I finally got my prescription in the mail. My ailment is stated as pes anserine bursitis. The general symptoms sound like my pain. I will give the PT exercises a chance. But, you all know me, I will remain in total control in what is done. No hands on me unless it's a gentle massage. No pushing or pulling of my leg in anyway, and I will not go beyond discomfort during my exercises. The main thing I want is the ultrasound treatment, but I'll try the exercises. If my pain is coming from inflammation, great! I don't want a revision! I will give this a good try. I have to get off of the Diclofenac, I've taken it way too many years! :shocked:

10. Josephine

What were you prescribed?

11. sistersinhim

@Josephine, it says:
    Modalities
    Therapeutic Exercises
    Mobilization (Kinetics)
    Quadriceps and hamstring strengthening
    Hamstring stretches to gain.
    Ultrasound
    1st week 2x.
    2nd week 3x.
    Duration: for 3-4 weeks.

Goals: Increase Coordination
    Decrease Pain
    Increase Endurance
    Decrease Pain
    Decrease Swelling
    Increase Strength
    Home Program

Your opinion, please before I go to my first appointment.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  12. sistersinhim

I went 2½ days without the anti-inflammatory and had to go back on it this afternoon. I had lots of discomfort last night and both knees were hurting pretty badly this afternoon. I had to work at a church dinner tonight and needed relief, so I'm back on it.

@Josephine, can a person become addicted to Diclofenac? I will continue taking it until I do PT for a couple of weeks, then I'll go off of it again and see if the therapy is working. If not, I'll schedule a second opinion.

13. Josephine

14. sistersinhim

@Josephine, of course I know how bad any NSAID is, but I have to weigh my quality of life. Tylenol doesn't touch my arthritis and knee pain. I'm trying hard to get off it but it's taking time. Cold turkey doesn't cut it. I've cut down on the prescribed amount by half. Hopefully, the PT will help my TKR knee pain.

What are your thoughts on the prescribed PT?

15. SusieShoes

SusieShoes FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

NSAIDs are nasty drugs, but they can help, a little, with pain. When I stopped my Aleve before my knee replacement surgery, the pain got even worse. I’m sorry you’re having this pain again and am crossing my fingers your implant isn’t loose. That’s always in the back of the mind with the Attune implants.

Pes anserine bursitis is pretty painful. I had it in my left knee post-op, for several months. My OS said it was a result of aggravation before and during surgery (he cleaned things out in there) and to just ice it a lot, exercise by walking and daily activities, and rest it a lot. It did go away, but took its jolly time.

Metal allergy testing is kind of a mess shoot from what I’ve seen. Sometimes people take the test twice and get vastly different results, which seems odd to me. You would think you either have an allergy, or you don’t. Anyway, a good allergist is a wonderful thing, and if you have one that’s a fine place to start in figuring out whether you have a significant metal allergy. The allergist I saw pre-op was very helpful and informative.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Lindylee

Lindylee member

@sistersinhim So sorry to read about all the problems you're having.

I hope I'm not intruding but I see you have tendonitis and I thought I'd share my story. My right hip had become so painful I was dragging my leg upstairs, could barely lift it, walking any distance made it worse and it woke me up at night.

I was referred for an ultrasound guided injection and the Consultant Radiologist said my tendon was completely worn out, frayed, full of holes and severely inflamed.
    The injection helped a little for a couple of weeks and then I was back to square one.

But then a bit later a friend who had been suffering from a frozen shoulder (tendonitis) recommended turmeric as he had benefited immensely from it.
    He did point out it might do nothing for me. He'd recommended it to 2 other people, one had great success with it, but not the other.

At that point I would have tried anything, as no other painkillers/anti-inflammatories had touched it. I started taking 1 x 500mg capsule 3 times a day (following his example) and 4 days later I suddenly realised I'd been walking for 20 minutes pain free. I reduced the dose to the recommended twice daily and within a short time I was pain free lying down, and it only kicked in again if I did a lot of walking or climbing stairs.

I can't tell you what a difference it made. If I stop the capsules, which I had to do for surgery, I am aware of the pain in a very short time, although not as severe as before.

You do have to be careful with other medicines so need to check with a pharmacy, which you should do with any over the counter medicine or supplement.
    Just because something is natural doesn't mean it won't have an interaction and turmeric does thin the blood.

I'm not sure whether it is something you might consider and I put no pressure on you to do so.
    I've gone on to recommend it to friends, it's helped some, but not all.

By the way, I have no shares in turmeric and don't benefit from recommending it unless it affords someone relief from pain.

If you feel this post inappropriate, please delete it.

• Like Like x 1
  17. sistersinhim

@Lindylee, thank you for your thoughtful post. I have been taking Turmeric for quite a while. It's not enough for me. I don't want any needles near my new knee, so I decided no shots. The PT I'll be taking is really a hope that it's nothing wrong with the implant, but the pain where the shaft goes into my tibia with certain movements, especially during the night, has led me to believe it might be something more. I have to go with what the doctor says to try before going for a second opinion.

18. Lindylee

Lindylee member

Oh, that's a shame the turmeric didn't help. It is strange that it helps some and not others, but maybe it depends on the source and type of pain. I hope this latest attempt to offer you some relief works. Wishing you a successful outcome. :console2:

19. beachy

beachy post-grad

Good luck with the pt! It could be just the thing you need. If not, you'll know soon enough.
    I won't be far behind you in pt. It's inevitable for my back and hip bursitis. Like you, I'll do whatever it takes to help this :censored: pain!
    Such a shame that it's in your knee after all you've been through.

20. Cementless

Cementless senior

@sistersinhim, without reading your whole thread, why do you not have kneecaps? (osteomyelitis???)