BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. ATTENTION: Download the new BoneSmart® app today! This FREE app is available for iOS or android phones and tablets and will allow you to connect to the forum on all of your devices. The old Tapatalk app is being discontinued so get the new app now.

Get The app HERE

Dismiss Notice

[TKR] No Energy. Passing out couple times

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by drsmagic, Jul 3, 2017.

1. drsmagic

drsmagic junior member

United States United States
    Yes my hemoglobin,RBC and HRt were all low. WBC were high.
    This afternoon after walking 5 minutes my knee felt hot to the touch, was it because I overdid it?
    I take 325mg coated aspirin twice, and it starts to effect my stomach, should I take tums or Pepsid to line my stomach?
    Thanks everyone, you folks have been godsent

2. KarriB

KarriB FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

The heat is a sign your knee is healing, very normal at this stage of recovery. Is the aspirin to deter blood clots and is that what your dr ordered?

3. drsmagic

drsmagic junior member

Yes aspirin is for preventing clots. Good to hear knee becoming hot is part of process

4. Jennszoo

Jennszoo post-grad

I take Zantac daily bc I have pre existing GI issues all thee meds are awful for my reflux.

5. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Prilocet also helps.

6. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    If Aspirin is upsetting your stomach, you shouldn't be taking it. However, you do need to be taking something to prevent blood clots in your legs, so I suggest you phone your surgeon and ask if he/she will prescribe something different.

7. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Definitely not. What you are describing is gastric reflux or GERD (Gastro-easophageal reflux disorder). You need to see your GP and get some appripriate nmedication. See here to explain what you are suffering from and how to treat it. Medications: acetaminophen (Tylenol, paracetamol) and NSAIDs, differences and dangers
    That is also known as lansoprazole or omeprazole and is the definitive treatment for GERD.

Another important point: people who have GERD should never take any NSAIDS.

8. Kare2dare

Kare2dare junior member

I was also wondering about your hemoglobin. I'm a bilateral ( surgery 6/29) and experienced lightheadedness. Ended up needing a 2 unit blood transfusion.

9. drsmagic

drsmagic junior member

I just noticed this on my ankle on my surgery ankle, it looks like a clot. Does this disappear, I am taking aspirin 325 mg twice a day. It's day 14 after surgery. My range of motion is about 65. Hurts too much to go beyond.

IMG_1869.JPG

10. Celle

New Zealand New Zealand
    IT looks OK to me, but I'll ask @Josephine what she thinks. The bruising is left over from your TKR - as you get more mobile, gravity makes the bruises move "down hill".

11. Jennszoo

Jennszoo post-grad

I'm struggling with the reflux and the aspirin regimen. My gastro told me to go ahead and take the aspirin for the DVT protection, but not any other nsaids. A friend recommended Apple cider vinegar for my attacks and by jove, it works. I used to pop tums, many of them, until the attacks subside. But now I take a capful of ACV in some water and gulp it down and the reflux attack is over in minutes. So I'm using that until I can get back off the aspirin.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. drsmagic

drsmagic junior member

Thanks Celle, it's just that my wife noticed it this morning and it has a some swelling. ACV sounds interesting for reflux, but I am on diabetic meds and Lipitor and thyroid meds too. Don't know what it does with that.

13. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    It's nothing to worry about, just bruising drainage from your surgery. Take a look at these and see how far this draining can go! Bruising after surgery

14. drsmagic

drsmagic junior member

Thanks, Anybody know of a compression sock that can be put on easily. My wife tried to put one for me and she gave up, literally twisting my knee or any another alternative

15. rubyyarn

rubyyarn graduate

Those socks are a royal nusiance! The socks I got had directions... Take the sock and find the heel. It is a squarish patch a few inches in from the toe. Reach into the sock from the top and pinch the top of the heel (inside the sock). Turn the sock inside out. Keep holding onto the heel until the fold is at the top of the heel.

Stick your foot into the sock. Tug and pull until the sock heel fits over your heel. After that, it is fairly easy to smooth the sock up over your leg. Adjust the toe part.

Hopefully this makes some sense. Rolling the sock into a ring is just an exercise in frustration.

• Like Like x 2
  16. drsmagic

drsmagic junior member

Day 19; Am in a state of constant pain, manageable level3. Take 8 tylenols regular strength, and two 325 mg aspirins each day. Do therapy couple times a day. No opiates as they did not agree with me. Also take 40 mg Prilosec. Sleep is an issue. My knee is very stiff, if I walk it stiffens. After therapy it feels a bit flexible but then returns to stiffness. Mornings are worst. Feel like I have reached a kind of plateau in recovery. Hopefully at 4 weeks recovery will trend upwards. Overall doing better than week 2

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. drsmagic

drsmagic junior member

One more item, I still have quite a bit of swelling. Don't know if that's normal.

18. Celle

New Zealand New Zealand
    You only need to do that once a day at most. At this early stage, your knee gets all the exercise it needs with just walking to and from the bathroom and kitchen.

Cutting back the exercises may even decrease the amount of pain and swelling.
    Yes, it's normal to still have some swelling. It can take a long time to go away.

19. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

As you are finding out, this is such a slow process. You won't see improvements every day and sometimes not even every week. Swelling is completely normal. You should be concentrating on getting that swelling down. When it goes down, then that ROM will increase. Stiffness takes a while to go away. Even if you don't see swelling on the outside, the inside capsule is still swollen, leading to that stiffness. My new knee is over a year old, and it still swelling sometimes. Once I get off of it and elevate, it comes back down.

This is a year long recovery. So many are misled into thinking they'll be well and back to normal in a few months. It just isn't so. Patience is definitely needed all through this journey. Follow the BS guidelines and things will go so much easier for you.

20. pdx

pdx graduate

My dad used to use rubber dish-washing gloves to help put on his compression hose. Very helpful!