Revised PKR to TKR Nine months recovery

That CT scan was done on Friday morning. I assume the doctor will do a follow up this week. I would love for them to find something. Obviously there's more arthritis and some swelling under the kneecap which I believe is where I'm getting most of my pain if the research that I've done is correct. Lol but I will definitely keep you posted

If they can’t find a reason for continued pain/ discomfort, they can’t fix it.
I had to edit the above quote from my post, I meant to say ”can’t”, not the “can” I originally wrote. One would never know I really do proofread before I click reply!

but I will definitely keep you posted
Please do! I hope they are able to do something to relieve your pain. We have these surgeries for that reason, not to continue to have pain.

Well, I'm going under the knife again 3/24/2023. Going for a TKR. The partial was done correctly he said but more damage under knee cap and bone spurs. He also said there was alot for history with this knee. So were going to start over. This will be the 4th surgery on the knee. Ugh. Wish me luck for recovery. :)

Best wishes for a successful surgery!

This will be the 4th surgery on the knee. Ugh. Wish me luck for recovery.
Fourth times gotta be the charm! :wink: We'll be rooting for you.:yay:
Wishing you all the best and comfort as you await surgery on Friday. Please stay in touch and let us know how you're doing.

Well, I'm going under the knife again 3/24/2023. Going for a TKR. The partial was done correctly he said but more damage under knee cap and bone spurs. He also said there was alot for history with this knee. So were going to start over. This will be the 4th surgery on the knee. Ugh. Wish me luck for recovery. :)
Surgery went awsome back hm today. Arrivale time 7 hm by 3. ? the new knee feels very loose. Is this comon? I might need to chain my quesions to TKR

Yes, your muscles and tendons have been moved and stretched to get your new implant inside your knee. As your knee heals, those soft tissues will return to normal. Now, it's very important to use your walking aids. You do not want to fall! Treat your knee as the newborn baby that it is, giving lots of gentle TLC, and slowly walking around for a few minutes every few hours or so. Listen to your knee and it will tell you when you have done too much. Unfortunately, a lot of times it doesn't show up until night time, so be careful during the day to not overdo it.

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
If you want to use something to help heal the incision,
BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

HI,
I hope you're doing well, your pain is well managed and you're able to rest comfortably.
Will look forward to your first update. :)
@Mavric

Happy One Month Anniversary!
Wondering how things are going as you hit this milestone?
I hope you're feeling stronger and steadier on your feet with each passing week.
Please update us on your progress next time you're here. We'd love to read all about it!
Until then, take good care!
@Mavric

How is everybody doing? I'm still have stiffness and little swelling. Pain when I stand. But for the most part back to work and on it daily. I think this is very common recovery. Anyone using a knee brace for durability during the day? Also my limp is going away day by day. Thanks

I‘ve moved your post above out of the Monthly team thread. That thread is reserved for surgery date information. Having this monthly team thread allows members to see who else has surgery in the same month as they did. All other comments and discussions should take place in a pre-op or recovery thread, such as this one. Enjoy interacting with and learning from others who are on the same journey as you are, here in this thread.

@Mavric I had my partial knee replacement 26 May this year, and everyone kept telling me that a partial knee replacement heals quicker than a total knee replacement, well I wish somebody would tell that to my knee, as I struggle daily, even I thought I would be ok by now, thankfully people on this forum are very sympathetic and very knowledgeable which is helping me to come to terms with this very long journey, some days my whole body aches, probably because I am tensing up while walking, I have gone back to my trainer who is concentrating on body strengthening, I only started back this week and have aches and pains all over, so I’m hoping this will get better. As others have said, unless anyone has been through what we have all been through no one knows the pain and struggles we all have to endure on a day to day basis.

I had a partial in March of 2021 and It never seamed the same. I think the pain was worse than before surgery. I went back to another doctor and because of some other work that was done plus the partial we went with a tkr . I'm about 5 month into recovery and I think this was a better choice. Also had to lengthen the interior tendon for the knee to line up properly. Thant probably should have been done the first time. But keep pushing and are wish the best in recovery.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks