NickUK - Feb 2018

NickUK

Country
Australia Australia
Hi, quick hello from Milton Keynes in the UK.

Just back from a referral and have been informed I am booked for a Left TKR in Feb 18 although the exact date is to be confirmed.

My first replacement although 15 years in the army and regular rugby and sailing has taken its toll as I thought it would eventually.

My op is to be done under Cyril Marek at the Horton Treatment Centre in Banbury, Oxfordshire. I would be interested to talk to anyone who has experience of Mr Marek and the hospital as well.

Current status is constant pain and very restricted movement. I have good days where I can walk (albeit with a slight limp) to days when I need crutches and have very limited mobility. I have heard good regarding the procedure and what I should expect and am optimistic of a big improvement in my quality of life.

Once I have a firm date I will update this. I am happy to talk with anyone regarding this position who is looking for either some mutual support or can offer help and advice.

Many thanks

Nick

Welcome, Nick!
We'll be here to support you through this.
Ask any questions, anything you want to know.

To help you prepare, here are some articles to read - good advice here!

Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing knee recoveries

Thanks Celle, already had a look around and found it very helpful and informative

Thanks Sherrie, I did mean Feb 2018 and am still waiting for the actual date.

Hope it is a lucky day though!

Welcome aboard. It sounds like you have plenty of time to prepare but not too long of a wait to your new knee. As you've already found, lots of good info here and people who have been through it or or will be going through it with you.

Thanks Sherrie, I did mean Feb 2018 and am still waiting for the actual date.
Hope it is a lucky day though!

Sorry for the misunderstanding. In that case I hope by 18 Feb 2018 that you will be post op, home and on your way to full motion and no pain!

That's OK, I wasn't that clear

Just wish I had the date so would know for sure!

Well at least you have a timeframe for your op. Most people have wait ages these days.

Let us know if you have any questions or concerns. We are here to support you through this journey.

Went for the pre-op checkup on Thursday. Pretty thorough checkup and all seemed OK. Seems a lot more real now I have been to the hospital. Took the opportunity to have a quick look round and speak with some of the other people in the waiting area who were post op and they all seemed happy

Off for physio on the 14th Feb for pre-op exercises.

Went for the pre-op checkup on Thursday. Pretty thorough checkup and all seemed OK. Seems a lot more real now I have been to the hospital. Took the opportunity to have a quick look round and speak with some of the other people in the waiting area who were post op and they all seemed happy

Off for physio on the 14th Feb for pre-op exercises.

hi Nick. Looks like we‘re the same day! My preop is next Monday (29 January). This tuesday is a sort of physio open house. Yep, it‘s getting very real. Good luck!

Fingers crossed for you. Would be interesting to compare progress, not suggesting a race though :loll:

Having some trepidation. Some friends who are concerned that I may suffer negatively from my op spoke to a "friend in the business" who regaled them with horror stories which concerned them so much they passed them to me out of worry I'm doing the wrong thing

A bit disappointed a so called expert would worry people to this extent, especially when they know nothing of my condition or history.

I feel I need this, not only for mobility but to be able to finally get off pain killers and resume the life a man of my age should be able to have

Ho-hum. Positive thoughts and onwards I guess

@NickUK Stick with us here - not with so called "friends" who have never had joint replacement. There are tons of horror stories about any procedure. But the reality is this surgery is life changing. You are far too young to side and watch life pass by due to pain. You need your mobility and yes, you definitely do not need to be on endless pain meds.

What were they worried about might I ask? I assume they have never had THR?

Why oh why do people share horror stories thinking they're "helping." It sounds like your life has been very constricted by the pain of your knee @NickUK and that you've been taking painkillers for it. Yes, it is a major surgery but I don't think surgeons or most patients go into it lightly.

I can tell you that I feel like I went from an old person, dragging along, to someone who is living life. It truly has been as if a weight was lifted off of me.

Agree whole heartedly. Apparently this expert works for a medical supplier

The friends did say they were worried and thought long and hard before speaking to me

Always naysayers trying to cause issues..

Thing is I need this, need my mobility, need to be pain free

Thing is I need this, need my mobility, need to be pain free
Yup - keep your eye on the prize! You are doing the right thing to get your life back.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom