Metal Allergy Nickel allergy

ATHIKER

Country
United States United States
I am having TKR in January and they are using the Stryker Titanium. I told my Dr I had a allergy to nickel he said it wouldn't matter because it's titanium. Has anyone had a TKR that has a nickel allergy

Athiker,
Welcome to BoneSmart, Glad you joined us!

We have members with nickel allergies, have or will be receiving nickel free joints.

Here is some information about nickel allergy, and labs that test for nickel allergies.

Allergies:
Allergy Testing (thread)
Allergies and MoM articles
An allergy-free new hip...made from the world's toughest plastic
Metal allergy in joint replacement
Metal allergies and knee replacements
Metal Allergy Screening Prior to Joint Arthroplasty
Metal allergies investigations AAOS 2013
Nickel Allergy Concerns
Orthopaedic Surgery in a Patient with Metal Sensitivity

Ask any questions you may have, someone is always here to provide support and answers to your questions.

I told my Dr I had an allergy to nickel he said it wouldn't matter because it's titanium
Well he's quite correct. Titanium is a pure element (#22) and not combined with any other metal. Grade 5 Titanium that implants are made of is called “surgical grade” but is still nickel free.

I'm due for my TKR in January as well and have the same allergy. Buying jewelry is the worst !

I have no problem with titanium.

Best of luck with your surgery.

Hi, Athiker and welcome to BoneSmart. I'm glad you joined us!

I have a suggestion for you. Since you are aware of having an allergic reaction to nickle, you might consider having a complete metal allergy test done prior to your surgery just to be sure you are not sensitive to other metals. The problem with the test is that it's usually not covered by insurance and it's expensive....more than $500. But it will give you peace of mind going into your knee replacement and reassurance that you should not have any problems from the metal in whatever implant your surgeon is using. Talk to your surgeon or your GP if you are interested in the test.

That said, we have had a number of members with nickle allergies who have had successful joint replacement surgery.

I've been reading a lot of the posts on here and I must say it's helped a lot for the fear factor. I'm still nervous but not petrified any more

I'm glad to hear that!!! That's what we're here for. Please don't hesitate to ask any questions that come to mind as you go along. It's also perfectly fine to voice your fears here too. I'm sure one or more people have felt or thought everything you're going through! Even those of us who have worked with joint replacement patients for years experienced anxiety prior to surgery. It's just a normal reaction!

@ATHIKER I had LTKR July 17 and I'm having RTKR on January 17. I've always had problems wearing cheap jewelry, so I opted to request metal allergy testing before my first surgery. Turns out I was not only allergic to nickel, but a lot of other metals too. Including titanium. I have a Smith and Nephew oxidized zirconium ceramic femoral component with an all polyethylene tibial component. No problems so far. The tests aren't covered by insurance, but I felt like it was worth it.

with an all polyethylene tibial component
An excellent option! This one is the all plastic tibial component and the femoral part is coated in zirconium (ceramic)

Biolox(R) delta.jpg

@ATHIKER I had LTKR July 17 and I'm having RTKR on January 17. I've always had problems wearing cheap jewelry, so I opted to request metal allergy testing before my first surgery. Turns out I was not only allergic to nickel, but a lot of other metals too. Including titanium. I have a Smith and Nephew oxidized zirconium ceramic femoral component with an all polyethylene tibial component. No problems so far. The tests aren't covered by insurance, but I felt like it was worth it.
@jboles, how is your implant doing?

I had metal allergy testing last month. I knew I had a reaction to jewelry or clothing snaps with nickel. I didn’t know how allergic I was until the test. I had an immediate and big reaction to nickel, cobalt ( biggest offender) and gold. I just got titanium wire to tape to me to see if that’s a reaction, too.

If you have a concern then get tested. I had the skin test. The best test is the blood test. I may still do that.

If you have a concern take care of it before surgery.

Could you please change my thread to metal allergy post TKR?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back