THR Newstart70 from 3 pins to new hip

The 24th of March is the 3rd day without pain medication and laxatives. I am hoping that continues.
I am getting more used to walking with a cane, but have always preferred a crutch. The orthopedic surgeon and pt say the cane is preferred to a crutch. I still have the walker as well if we are out around people. I don't want to get bumped into.
We have had beautiful spring weather, and that alone brightens the day.
My sister has been a great support to me. She has stayed with me since the surgery, and is solely responsible for the cooking. It was especially important in the early days just after surgery, because without her, I wouldn't have had the stamina or strength to do that on my own. My appetite is very good, and her cooking has been an important part of my recovery.
My first pt appointment is Friday March 29th.

Sounds like you are doing very well @Newstart70 ! Enjoy that great Spring weather - a definite mood lifter during recovery.

:happydance:great update.
Slowly but surely, we get through this recovery and you are doing splendidly!
The doctor visit will be very reassuring...was for me!
Keep the faith, friend:ok:

You must be out on the west coast if you are getting the warm weather? I grew up in Victoria & teens in Parksville. Still miss is way too much! You are very lucky to have a sister that loves you so much and is doing the cooking! I envy you having a female helper close by. I forsee a few scraps with my husband over meals :whistle:

I am 45 minutes west of Toronto and 45 minutes from Niagara Falls now but hope to head back out west when my husband retires. You certainly had an easier winter this year that a few in the not so distant past!

Tomorrow marks 3 weeks post op. I feel I am getting stronger every day, and look forward to more progress ahead.
Thank you @Layla for posting Josephone's link to the right ways to elevate after surgery. I have a question about the aids they use. It shows how to make your own with 3 old pillows, and it shows the right way with a graduated wedge pillow. I can find lots of wedge pillows that are just a straight < , but none that are graduated like the one in the pictures.
Friday is my first physio appointment post op.
Onward and upward!!!

As I said...I didn't get to use it and this is the only product I might have considered.
At almost three months out I used some Vitamin E and later went to my go-to hydrator....coconut oil when damp just out of shower. Scar fades very nicely on its own and I've given up my aspirations of being a bikini model so...:curtsey:

I used EVOO (olive oil) on my knee scar rubbing gently across scar... you can barely see it! Cheaper than Mederma !

You're welcome! :wink:
Sweet dreams tonight! :sleeep:

@Fit4Family thank you for the introduction. I am now following your thread. As you go through this journey, you will find what works best for you. We all go through this on different paths.
The thing I am super careful about, is to make sure I am thinking about what I am doing, while I am doing it. I don't want to fall, especially during this recovery period. Even if you feel good, don't overdo it.
The people on this forum provide so much information and support. I don't know how I would have done without it.
Happy Spring to you so well, and I look forward to going through this with you.
Have a wonderful day, and great week!!!

Good Morning @Newstart70 I am following your thread too. I may be too cautious at this point. The broken hip was so painful I never want that pain again so I am following every rule and crossing off the days until I can walk. I miss being outside so much. Our house has stairs at every entrance and a very steep driveway. It’s going to be awhile before I can brave all that. Happy Monday!

The thing I am super careful about, is to make sure I am thinking about what I am doing, while I am doing it. I don't want to fall, especially during this recovery period. Even if you feel good, don't overdo it.
Amen, @Newstart70
You've got this!
Hope all gets better and better quickly!

Simple but wise advice. I wasn't under any restrictions which I didn't initially understand or embrace, but was not only cautioned to move slowly, but thoughtfully, thinking through what I was attempting to do ahead of time, without just plowing through.
I hope you're doing well and have a great week! @Newstart70[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the kudos...nice to know someone listens to us:heehee:
Soon to hit one month hipversary and the epitome of patient, hopeful, and before you know it....your life will be back on track on a big way:happyfeet:
You've got this...healing mojo coming at you.

Last edited:
Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you're doing well and continually noticing progress.
Update us when you stop by, we'd love to hear from you.
Wishing you a wonderful week!
@Newstart70

@Layla Thank you so much for the congratulatory message. I am feeling fine, and being very careful not to fall. I have been able to do some PT to get some of the strength back in my hip and leg. Hopefully it will continue in this mode. I look forward to driving again though. Another PT session on Friday, and a follow up appt with my OS on Monday. Wishing everyone a great week.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back