• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

[THR] Newstart70 from 3 pins to new hip

Newstart70

Country
Canada Canada
My total THR was done on Thursday March 7. Prior to surgery, they started me on 1 round of antibiotics, and ended up getting 3 round during my hospital stay. I had a spinal before surgery and blocker after surgery. My right leg was numb for the most of the day after surgery. Was hungry when I got of recovery and no nausea.

The day after surgery I got nauseated at 5am but got better throughout the day. Physio the first day and my leg kind of still felt like a log. Sunday I had my climbing physio, and came home. I thought I was doing so good once I got home but my body told me to stop. My sister is here with me. All the numbness is out of the leg but it still hurts a little to do part of my physio. I iced it last night but will start with my cryo cuff today. I am happy to have this over with.

I give myself shots in my belly each morning for 27 days. That is to prevent blood clots. I had a bowel movement yesterday, so that felt good. I look forward to getting better every day. Thank goodness for this forum. It helps so much.

Jaycey

SUPER MODERATOR
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@Newstart70 Welcome to the other side! Isn't it a great feeling when the op is over and done with? Easy does it on any physio - hips don't really need anything but walking. And yes, listen to that new hip. It will tell you very quickly if yo have done too much.

Here are your recovery articles and I will add one about those injections that really helped me. Blood thinner (enoxaparin, Lovenox, Coumadin) injections

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Mojo333

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
:wave:Yay...so glad you are home.
Now it's just a matter of time.:yes:
Glad you are listening to your body.
All temporary so just ice it up and hang in there.
Healing hugs coming your way!:loveshwr:

KathyB

Country
Hi @Newstart70, best wishes for your recovery. This site has been great for my recovery and I know it will be for you as well. Icing, elevating and only short trips to the bathroom, to get a snack or for a very quick walk around the house for now. So much wonderful information and support here.:flwrysmile:

Layla

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Welcome to Recovery! :welome: Congrats on your new hip.
It sounds like you're off to a really good start. The Recovery Guidelines are very useful as a reference.
One of my favorite articles was "Activity Progression For THR". It was nice to use as a rough gauge.
Stop by often, we'd love to follow your progress and offer encouragement along the way.
A great week to you!
@Newstart70

OP
OP
Newstart70

Newstart70

Country
Canada Canada
End of my third day post surgery and managing well. My sister made me ginger tea today and each sip was like a healing all over my body. She got the right combination of grated ginger with a touch of honey. Oh my goodness. It was wonderful. I savored every sip.

Good friends dropped by in the late afternoon and brought us a very tasty dinner. This pampering feels pretty good.

On another note it seems like I don't have a full bladder before the urge comes on. I am drinking a lot of water and other liquids though. Did anyone else have the same problem?

Good night all, and I can't thank all of you enough, for all the support these forums is providing me.

Sending healing and positive vibes out to all of you.

GrannyC

post-grad
Country
It sounds like your recovery is off to. Fantastic start. Just FYI, my OS said no PT needed to recover and they tell us that here on the forum as well. I did a little but found it didn’t help at all so I stopped and recovered just fine. Like others said, the trips to the bathroom and kitchen are plenty of exercise in these very early days. Your body needs you to be still so it can work on recovery. You can increase the walks as time goes on. Lots of ice and elevating!!

Eman85

post-grad
Country
Plenty of bathroom trips right from the day of surgery, it's good exercise.

OP
OP
Newstart70

Newstart70

Country
Canada Canada
Thank you to Eman8 and GrannyC

I love everyone's advice. You have all gone through it. I have done a bit of icing up to this point but will get my cryo cuff going today to get it iced more.

I woke up this morning in a night sweat but I am sleeping great.

Josephine

FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR
Administrator
Country
Newstart70, sorry to be on your case when you're so new but please don't put more than one tag at the top of you post. You can read this to find out why Multiple tags or alerts being used in posts

I'd also like to emphasise this guideline of ours about exercise and hips

Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

OP
OP
Newstart70

Newstart70

Country
Canada Canada
@Josephine I am not sure what you mean by just using one tag. Was I not supposed to start posting a new subject when I started the recovery side? I am not understanding what you mean about only one tag???

I also didn't realize that I was posting anything different to what you emphasize about hips. I have been following all your guidelines about less pt. I have been resting, icing and elevating, and mostly doing my walking to the bathroom and back.

I am a little confused about what rules I have been breaking.

I was thinking I was following the advice about recovering after hip surgery from this forum. Hips heal fine on their own....rest, icing and elevation.

I will read the section about tagging. I am not sure what I have done wrong there.

Mojo333

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
:hi: You sound like you are doing just great for these early days.
Wish I had thought of ginger tea early days.
My appetite was not great but I did try to stay hydrated despite the extra bathroom trips:sigh:

Please don't think Jo was admonishing you in regard to PT.
We staff take EVERY opportunity to throw in the big tip especially for those doing well. Getting rid of that bone crunching hip pain can excite us into overdoing it before we know it. Preemptive concerns cause me to want to caution folks too.:)

You are doing splendidly.:yes:
That new hip is going to make this one great summer!:SUNsmile:

Layla

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
You're doing fine, sweetie!
As Mojo mentioned, we do sometimes mention the Big Tip, just as a friendly reminder and because others are reminded in reading it also. Especially as well as you're doing, it would be sad to see you end up in the ODIC
(Over Did It Club) However, you seem to be doing everything right.

As far as the tag biz, if you tap the article in Blue that Jo left "Multiple tags or alerts being used in posts" it will explain. It's something most all of us have done and needed to learn. I guess I should speak for myself, lol.
So no worries, there won't be any "off with your head." :heehee:
I hope you have a lovely day!
@Newstart70

Josephine

FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR
Administrator
Country
I am a little confused about what rules I have been breaking.
Sorry, my dear. You're not breaking any rules. The bit about tags is when you do this - @ Newstart70 (though done properly, there won't be a gap bewteen the @ and you name so it will turn into a link like this @Newstart70 - see?

And the bit about hips is guidance not rules. That's all.

GrannyC

post-grad
Country
I’m glad you are doing well. Haven’t see you post for a few days so I hope we didn’t scare you off. When I first started to post, it too me a very long time before I understood about tags but after a few corrections I got it right. If you leave a space between the @ and the name like Josephine said, it doesn’t work like a tag. When you type the @ and continue on with the name with no space, your computer/phone will pop up with names starting with the letters you have typed. Then you can click on the name and know your tag is correct. Then besides the tags, I think it may have been months before I noticed the Alerts way up at the top on the right. There it shows you if someone has tagged you or marked one of your posts. I’m sure I missed out on plenty of tags early on. Eventually we all seem to figure it out.

Back to your hip, are you getting around some now. Sometimes it is hard to notice progress from day to day so I used to look back at last week which for you now is about when you had the surgery. It’s amazing how wonderful certain milestones feel after surgery like the first BM, getting in and out of bed by yourself, going from walker to cane and on and on. The good thing about this forum is that everyone understands how great those things feel. Sending happy healing wishes your way!

OP
OP
Newstart70

Newstart70

Country
Canada Canada
Thank you @GrannyC I appreciate you covering the issue of leaving a space when you tag someone. I was aware of that, and also that the name will come up when you start to type it. A tag is like an email address, and if you leave a space, you won't get a link. If that is what I was doing, it was not on purpose. It seems like in the last week, my feelings are on the edge.

I am 8 days post hip surgery, and have been doing alright. Icing, elevating, and rest. My walking is around the house, and bathroom breaks. Had a BM this morning, so that was a happy start, but after my shower, and prior to coming downstairs, I lost my balance, and on the way down, I grabbed onto the dresser, and prevented the fall, but in the process, my hip temporarily came out of the socket, then went back in place. It was a scary moment. I called my orthopedic surgeon, and the receptionist said to take it easy over the next few days, and no exercises. I had a scheduled appointment with him on Tuesday, so she said rest until then. I have been taking it easy, and this just has made me realize even more how careful you need to be in the first few months.
Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
lablover64
Recent bookmarks

Trending hash tags