Newbie To TKR's (or any surgery)

KJRDAD2

Country
United States United States
So, after four years of being diagnosed with "bone on bone" of both knees I finally made the decision to have "the worst of the two done, actually it was a coin toss". My surgery date is November 12th and like many before me on this forum, quite apprehensive.

Probably shouldn't have watched the surgery online, but I've always been curious of the unknown!

Would've loved to just had both done at the same time to get it over with but my surgeon will not do that because of my high blood pressure and sleep apnea. So I will be repeating the surgery on the left knee in February if all goes well!

This forum has been very inspiring and informative and look forward to participating! Thanks to all!

Aw, such a shame you can't do them both! But welcome to BoneSmart! You'll be among friends here!

This is, in deed, a great place!

Hang out here with us.
Bonesmart has a wealth of advice, information and support.
We will offer helpful suggestions, :idea:

Cheer your accomplishments :happydance:

And send hugs when you are feeling down. :console2:

Best wishes!

Welcome and best of luck to you!

Hello @ - and :welome:

Here is some reading to help you prepare for your surgery:

Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing knee recoveries

This is the approach to recovery that we recommend:
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for TKRs

@KJRDAD2, good luck on your upcoming TKR. Since it appears you’ve spent a little bit of time here, I’m assuming you are getting familiar with the BoneSmart way. If you ever feel the need to get a guys perspective on things, feel free to tag me in your post. That said, my number one recommendation is to not get over aggressive. It seems like us guys are prone to impatience and think that recovery from this is like recovery from a regular sports injury. FALSE! The harder you push the worse off you’ll be and the longer it will take.

Looking forward to following your recovery.

Welcome, and I wish you the best of luck. I've been thinking about my first TKR for years, knowing my knees were on borrowed time....but now that I have a date (Dec. 18), the nerves are setting in. That's even with 1 baby and 11 other joint surgeries under my belt. This one just seems bigger (ha)!!! For me, it's knowing I won't have all of my own parts anymore. :)

You're also much braver than me. I'm NOT watching this surgery online. My head can imagine enough on it's own!! :)

---Lisa

You have a date for your surgery now, @Rockgirl4 ? Which knee is being replaced? TKR or PKR?
If you can tell us that, I'll ad it to your signature.
(I edited this after reading your other thread - Right TKR December 18, 2018 - right? I'll add it to your signature.)

Have you joined the December Supernovas monthly group yet?
Just post your surgery date in the
2018 December Supernovas - Are you having knee surgery in December?
thread at the top of the Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area page and you'll be added to the list.
It's a good idea to get to know your fellow BoneSmarties who will be getting new joints this month. We've found that it helps to have a group of folks who are going through surgery and do it as a team....helping and supporting each other.

Thanks @Celle . :) Yes, we're set for Dec. 18. I meant to joint the December group yesterday and spent too much time researching OTHER things related to TKRs. It will be a total knee replacement on the right knee, which is the one that's given me grief for the last 10 yrs, with LOTS of work to keep me moving the last 3.

@NavyGunns - I’m having surgery in Nov, I’m new here, and would love advice. While I’m a girl, I’ve been a hardcore athlete most of my life w a very competitive (dare I say female macho?) spirit and a tendency to train through pain. I did fantastically recovering from both lumbar and cervical ADR spine surgeries, but this is different since the knee is such an active joint. Thanks in advance!

@KJRDAD2, good luck on your upcoming TKR. Since it appears you’ve spent a little bit of time here, I’m assuming you are getting familiar with the BoneSmart way. If you ever feel the need to get a guys perspective on things, feel free to tag me in your post. That said, my number one recommendation is to not get over aggressive. It seems like us guys are prone to impatience and think that recovery from this is like recovery from a regular sports injury. FALSE! The harder you push the worse off you’ll be and the longer it will take.

Looking forward to following your recovery.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member