THR Newbie to forum and getting a new hip

Teacher Jim

Country
United States United States
I'm a 60 yr old hip patient with a 40 yr old brain (my doc's words, not mine), about to enter the world of right side hip arthroplasty. I'm nervous and excited about the prospect of pain free sports enjoyment once again. My doc assures my new hip will last 40-45 years. He claims over 3,000 successful implants in his career, so I'm trusting him. His nurse calls him the "hip guru" I'll keep ya posted in here how things progress and when I ski my first double black diamond run after I'm back on skis after too much time off skis.

Sara61

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Portugal Portugal
@Teacher Jim
Hi :welome: to BoneSmart.

I truly hope you will be pain free and able to enjoy life once again, Yes, implants do last a lot longer than they did in the past, with normal use, but I was told by my surgeon that I was to avoid high
Impact sports, you don't want to risk falling and breaking/damaging your new implants on a black ski run :flabber: no matter how good a surgeon is he cannot guarantee that.

HIP Recovery

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing hip recoveries

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hello and Welcome to BoneSmart! Thanks for joining us.
It sounds like you’re in good hands and it is reassuring to have confidence in your surgeon. I’m wondering if you have a date scheduled yet? If you do, please leave the info below and we’ll creat a signature for you. Stop back often, we’re always here.
Wishing you comfort and a nice weekend!
@Teacher Jim

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Hello @Teacher Jim :wave:

Well, I like your positive attitude, that is helpful while recovering from a joint replacement..
Read the articles left for you, they will answer many of the questions that you might have.

One of the most important detail is Patience... this recovery requires a lot of that.

People who ski seem to really love it, I've never ski'd before in my life.. I was too accident prone and my parents never allowed it and I guess they convinced me of it too. Ahh well.

Looking forward to reading about your hip and the subsequent recovery.

leejaa

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
It is wonderful that you found a surgeon you like and get along with. I like my surgeon and trust his expertise and it made the process easier. It is exciting to think of a pain free life. I hope you share your journey with us all.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Good, I'm planning on checking out at 80, so I should be good if they last 30.

zauberflöte

alpha
Country
@Teacher Jim yes, excited is the best way to be! I have no idea how long my hips will last, and I doubt the numbers will be in on a 2013 implant until around 2043 :heehee: when I will be 91 and definitely not wanting a revision!

I did have OS advice that if I wanted to prevent wear and tear, I should skip running/jogging as cardio. I can sprint just fine, so I do that for fun from time to time. Thankfully, I've never had the desire to ski!

OP
OP
T

Teacher Jim

Country
Date of surgery: 26 August! Right around the corner, or so it feels like it is. Thank you for all your words of kindness and support. I'll be certain to keep you posted how things go along the way.

OP
OP
T

Teacher Jim

Country
Hey Schaargi
In my teacher history, I've been a middle school life science, earth science, natural science teacher. Additionally, I've been a university instructor in an education faculty teaching teachers how to teach science. Presently, I'm teaching in a school for kiddos who can't even handle themselves in alternative school settings. My students are severely behaviorally challenged to put it mildly. I need good hips to give chase when they take off running out of class.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
My students are severely behaviorally challenged to put it mildly. I need good hips to give chase when they take off running out of class.
You will certainly need good hips to do your current job.
We usually recommend taking about 12 weeks off before returning to work and then doing a
Phased return to work if possible.
You may need to plan to take longer than 12 weeks.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Bless you, @Teacher Jim for what you do.
A friend of mine is a director at a 'psychoanylitical' school which sounds alot like the school environment ypu work in.
There is definitely drama there every day....and runners.
It will be nice to get this hip recovery on the road so you can get back to healthy and strong.
Take all the time off you can, because when you are back . You are back.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mmpc123
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom