Revision THR Newbie tkr recovery thread<

Thank you for letting us know. I think we would have been quite concerned without notice. I get where you're coming from and hope it does you the world of good to focus on other things. :)

Hope all is easing and you are starting to see the light flicker at the end of the recovery tunnel.
:SUNsmile:

Sometimes is good to take a break.
How it is at just over a month is not how it is going to be, dear @Newbie tkr
I know we don't get all the proper insight into recovery but 2 months will look so much better and 3 months even better and at 2 years, life is sweet.
Hang in there...one month out is prime time for post op blues!
This too shall pass.

HELLO HELLO- Mojo, SE Florida, Layla, Carriemay, Sarah B...
Hope you all are well and thriving.
I'm doing better too-pain has lessoned, my OS continues to gush over my "...healing beautifully..." (In other words, he's gushing with awe at the beauty of his own surgical talents on the canvas of my now permanently flawed thigh scar, lmao).
I did have a minor slip the other day. I didn't fall but my operative hip was stretched backwards, like a skier's back leg when fully extended. I'm okay (34 days post op now), BUT I do have groin muscle issues that now need to be addressed before moving forward with my PT. Muscles affected- mainly adductor like iliopsoas tendon, psoas major, periformis, you know...all the little soft tissue stuff that hurts like beck- it got overstretched from my sliding. Period.
I did start working with myofascial massage and helper tools a few years ago because of my ballet background. Indeed, the myofascdial massaging and trigger points I'd been working with almost everyday BEFORE the hip revision are the very same ones that got injured again in my slip and slide. Like, the very same exact ones!
I want to begin my mayo massaging again. I've been sitting still for 2 days icing, elevtng., heat and rest...the groin is feeling better but I'm GOING NUTS!
Ha, haven't worked out in almost eight weeks, gained about 10 lbs. feeling sorry for myself-
Not working with a PT any longer, not an issue. But I must move or kill somebody, lol!
Thoughts?

:wave:Cabin fever was at its height at my one month mark.
I am sorry you hyperextended something but you sound as if you have been babying it properly.

I had to at least manage to get outside and get some vitamin D therapy along with a change of scenery.:sigh:
Short walks more often were my go to..
And I managed a few short trips with better half thigh they weren't as relaxing as I had hoped.
Riding in the car wasn't my favorite as I had low bucket seats that were Not comfortable.:umm:
You will be able to get more mobile soon (though it doesn't seem soon:unsure: when you are in the midst of it)

Hope your weekend is healing and happy.:SUNsmile:

Ms. Mojo: really do feel as though I'm through the worst of it now though you'd never guess it when I came back to BS screaming and squawking...also realizing that a REVISION does take longer to recover from than an initial replacement...
How are YOU? I did read all of your threads but couldn't really find any info about you and/or your present circumstances given that you've been helping so many other people

I'm doing great and I'm hoping you will be joining me eventually in hip recovery memories taking a back seat to Life.
Now I go to work at a charity in a super active capacity, play hard on the weekends riding my ATV, walking in the woods, swimming, and fishing.
I'm an outdoor kind of person.
My son just got married and I rocked some heels...well, kind-of...got new shoe blisters but No Hip Pain:tada:

Awesome Mojo! Huge event, the wedding.

I'm seriously starting to realize this recovery may be (hopefully NOT) significantly longer than I thought.
Tried walking w/cane again today. It was miserable and buttocks keep "crippling" and now entering my 6th week post-op. Not feeling that anything is wrong with the surgery; just that it's hugely difficult to not know or have any indication or timeline that tells me when my life will get back to normal- looking for the silver lining as I know there IS one.
My OS DID tell me, several times, that a REVISION recovery takes longer.
I'm just sitting, sleeping, eating, getting outside for my daily "workouts"...
My home is a mess

Don't worry about the house, @Newbie tkr As I tell myself and anyone who will listen, it will be here when we are dead and gone. I've always been OCD about my house but had to give that up. I'm just now starting to do a few housework type things. Be patient with yourself. All will be well.

Just over one month...really early days.
Try to relax and you will see improvement before you know it,my friend!:friends:

Hi @Newbie tkr
When you have visiting family or friends and they wonder if they can do anything to help, ask them to straighten a bed, vacuum the living room and dust, do the dishes and tidy up the kitchen. I don't know about you, but if I ask someone how I can help them out and they offer up something, I'm happy to oblige. Most people like to feel useful and help others. You should be able to do menial tasks soon enough.
I hope you have a great week!

Again, Thankyou so much, Layla, Mojo...
advice taken, from both of you- always.
Today, 36 days post-op...ok. This is what I hope to do: 1 load laundry, prep and eat two very simple meals, personal hygiene, clean litter box, feed cats, walk out side w/cane twice for 10-15 minutes, routine ankle pumps, butt crunches, ONE very simple yoga breathing exercise to start loosening lower lumbar spine, sister coming over to help me re-pot 3 plants...
I know going into such detail sounds very remedial but remedial is what I need from you guys...
How funny that, a week ago, I was going to "disengage" from BS for a couple of weeks-haha

Happy Monday!
It sounds like you have a nice plan for the day. Nothing too strenuous but enough to feel useful,
and part of the world again. I hope you enjoy time spent with your sister today.
No worries about disengaging and re-engaging with us here. Look at it as temporary insanity due to anesthesia brain. I think I blamed everything on that for as long as I could :rotfl:
We welcome you back with open arms. It's good to have you back. We'll continue us to be here for support and encouragement.
Enjoy your day and week!
@Newbie tkr

@Newbie tkr Wow, now that is actually a pretty long list when you sit and type it out! If you don't get through all of that, don't get discouraged. Even a quarter of your list would be a wonderful thing!!! You can always do more tomorrow if you don't push it too hard today! :flwrysmile:

OMG, SE Florida, I think I WAAAY overdid it!
Did about 75% of the tasks I wanted to do- took a total of about 2 hours...tried to take a nap.
Got up off my couch about 2 hours later, and as I was literally lifting myself from my couch to my crutches (you know, the point where you're keeping your operative leg straight while the other leg is pushing you up) the entire front of the inside of my post-op leg went into screaming pain, enough to bring me to tears. It lasted for about 5 seconds...better now but still sore. Not moving again today and only got ONE walk in with the cane.
Called my OS to get the Ph. # of his P/T again because I think I'm going to need her...
What gives with this???
Surely I should be further along, right?
Help

@Newbie tkr Honestly for me, I've had to take it slow with recovery. Not that I want to but if I try to do a lot in one day, I pay for it the next day. It seems to be a recurring problem with some of us. That's why I thought your list for the day seemed awfully long. I'm at 9 weeks now and still can't do all of my usual daily activities that I did before. So for me, I wish I was further along but I'm not. I will be there if I keep a slow and steady pace; increase activity a little more everyday. I'm not saying it's the same for you, just generalizing about my own recovery. I will say the biggest problem is if I do too much, I hurt like hell the next day, and continue to pay for it for days afterward. The only thing to help then is rest, ice and elevating. The bad thing with that whole scenario is then I'm back at square one with my slow and steady. I hope all of this makes sense. It does get better but not if you do too much, too quick.

And P.S. I am sorry you're in so much discomfort today. Please do get some rest, ice and elevate to help ease some of the pain @Newbie tkr. And please don't get discouraged with your recovery; we've all been there and it does slowly get better. Take care :flwrysmile:

@Newbie tkr , while I can do about two hours of tasks over he course of the day.... 15 minutes here, 10 there..... Two hours, non stop would do me in. And I think I've been doing very, very well. Maybe pace yourself and take more breaks. I know you want to get things done but not at the cost of this much pain. Hope the ice will help.

Further along...Not necessarily.:sigh:
Still early days.
I could move something the wrong way, or get an errant stabbing pain for virtually no reason sometimes.
What do you think is happening?
Called my OS to get the Ph. # of his P/T again because I think I'm going to need her...
What were you hoping this would help exactly?
I'm sorry it frightened you but has it eased? Lots of come and go symptoms with me...for several months.:yes:
Hope all has eased and just try to be patient and mindful with your movements.
All likely temporary!:console2:

Last edited:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker