Revision THR Newbie tkr recovery thread<

Hope today is a better day...
All temporary...patience prescribed in large quantities.:friends:

Yes Mojo, your comments are EXACTLY the reason I joined up on BS again...actually had another rough day today pain wise. I went through the same experience when I had my left knee replaced in 2016.
I was under-medicated due to a couple of things...I have PTSD and physical pain is one of the two triggers that cause me to start hyper-ventilating...for that reason I believe that I've stayed on the pain meds more-so and longer than most...I'm hyper-sensitive to physical pain and have a higher tolerance than most for pain meds. No, I'm not an addict or anything like that; I just have a set of consequences that tend to occur when I'm in physical pain.
Also, my incision from the revision is almost directly under my left buttocks, meaning that I have difficulty getting physically comfortable when lying down or sitting.
But this too shall pass
Tomorrow, i'm going to begin walking, with my walker, for 10 minutes, 3x a day...wish me luck!
I'm wishing you all the same...

:ok:That sounds like a plan.
Slowly but surely we will get there.
The hardest part of this recovery is trying to find a comfortable position to be in, for any length of time, without being in extreme discomfort...still working on it.
I found that being in any position for too long was uncomfortable..so I also was constantly rearranging. I think it's just part of it...and not a terribly bad thing as it keeps us moving.
I would hold on to something and raise each arm high to ceiling to get some of the pressure off of my lower back from sitting.
Layla says it helps to measure progress by reassessing week to week as opposed to daily..you may be surprised at how well things are going.

Can you tell me when your original surgery for left hip was done?
I see this in your signature.
Revision LTHR- April 1, 2019
L-TKR March 7, 2016
R-THR December 6, 2014

:ice: A couple of us are catching onto the idea of sitting on barely frozen gel packs for butt relief. I just started it yesterday but found it made a huge difference.

Hi @Newbie tkr
Sorry to read you struggle with PTSD and are continuing to suffer pain. Hopefully you'll notice more relief soon. Good luck with the 3, ten minute walks today. Let us know how it goes.
A great weekend to you!

Hi all: just checking in- cannot believe I'm actually entering my 3rd week post-op! Where DOES time go?
My OS wants to see me a week early, on April 16th instead of the 23rd like originally planned.
He is concerned that I'm using too many pain meds. He had prescribed 10mg. Percocet every 4 hrs. I've been taking 20mg. every SIX hrs.
I was diagnosed with PTSD about twenty years ago...pain is one of the two triggers that prompt me to go into hyper-ventilation. And when I DO experience pain it feels ten times worse than for most "normal" people that don't have PTSD. I did go into hyper-ventilation a couple of times in the hospital and a few times at home. This is my 4th joint surgery and I'm very much looking forward to meeting with my doctor next week to discuss this. I don't know how much awareness, if any, he has about the connection between pain and PTSD...
happy to get some feedback on how to handle him.
Meanwhile, I do feel like I'm getting better; slowly but surely

Mojo:
You had asked when my left hip was originally replaced. It was April, 2005. This is the hip I had the revision done on.
Sorry for the delayed response.

Meanwhile, I do feel like I'm getting better; slowly but surely
At least that is a small positive note in your posting @Newbie tkr . You're just 2 weeks post-op and it will take time, even for those of us that don't have PTSD. Each day should (hopefully) be better for you. I didn't have a revision but I will say that at 2 weeks for my RTHR it was still pretty rough. Everyone is different. As far as your OS, you should include your med concerns as you explain your PTSD history and take it from there. Good luck with the visit and keep us posted. :) :-) (:

I hope your OS is well informed on PTSD, many doctors aren't. I have become much more aware of it as my son, a firefighter, has it. He is now a spokesman for awareness here in Canada for 1st responders. You might ask if there is someone you can be referred to that specializes in PTSD/ pain. Awareness is really coming along and there just might be someone fulfilling that role in your area. A 'pain clinic' would be the next best. Good Luck!

Thankyou Carriemay and SE Florida- that's exactly what I intend to do...speak with my OS and start looking for a pain management doctor
Off now for a cat nap!

I wonder also, if there is a different medication, or type of medication he could prescribe? I have two friends with PSTD and there is a legitimate risk when you combine it with severe pain and heavy duty meds. And yet you don't want to get behind on the pain either....tough spot to be in for sure. Good luck at your appointment.

Debru4: I couldn't agree more...I'll update after I see him.

Glad you got an earlier appointment.

Hang in there, hippy pal!:ok:

Gosh: how many times can I say THANKYOU to all on this site who have encouraged, supported me, etc?
A couple of milestones to share:
1. Last night, for the first time, NO BREAK-THROUGH pain! Yeah! NO getting up at 2, 3, 4am because of pain...so very grateful.
2. Slept in my own bed for the first time since March 31st! Oh boy, it was wonderful...no more sleeping in my made-up "hospital bed" downstairs...yes, my bedroom is UPstairs but think I can handle it.

Must drive 35 miles tomorrow (one way) for my first ortho f/u. Can't take any pain meds before I go- I know that I shouldn't be driving but doctor wants to see me a week earlier than originally scheduled because I've been taking more pain meds than he prescribed- so I'm going.

Hope all is well with Mojo, Carriemae, SE Florida, etc.

Please be careful, I think this is far too premature. Can a neighbour, friend or member of your family take you? Worried for you so please take extra care with plenty of stops.

Hi @Newbie tkr . I take my hat off to you, you have been through a lot,but you still come across as positive. Congratulations on two great milestones, sleeping through and in your own bed.

This is great progress, but like @hbl, I also worry about you driving tomorrow. Are you sure there is no one who could drive you? You are only 2 weeks out of surgery, and you had a rough start too. I could barely cope with being a passenger at this stage. Is there a charity you could call, I have friends who are volunteer drivers for people in your situation, or ask a neighbour ( unfortunately I’m on the other side of the world or I’d be motoring over for sure.). . The driving itself is a big ask, but going med free in your situation.... all I can think is ow ow ow.

At the very least, take the max of non drowsy meds such as paracetamol (?Tylenol in US I think).

It is wonderful to hear your good news from overnight! That should be encouraging for you to know that things can and do get better little by little. The trip to your OS, even as a passenger, is going to be very draining for you. I can't begin to explain how much even a small drive can take out of you and then just going into the doctor's office, waiting room, etc. you get the picture. You will need to come home, get your ice, lay down and elevate the leg. But to add driving to that picture isn't a good thing. I honestly didn't take my first drive until I was at 5 weeks but I was off my meds at 3 weeks. My mind was clear but still a little fuzzy on the "need to be alert" scale. It's hard when you're alone with no one to drive you but as everyone has said, from our experience with driving, check your options for an alternate solution to get to your OS. I hate to suggest things that cost money but consider Uber, a cab or other low cost alternative. Best of luck to you and please check in after your app't.....when you are up to it. @Newbie tkr

Classy, hbl and SE Florida:
Thankyou all for your concern. It's so comforting...
After reading everyone's concerns I will ask some one to take me- he's the only person I can think of that might be able to. If he cannot, I will have to go it alone. I've been on my own my entire life and have had to do many things alone that typically aren't done alone.
I will update.
Hope you all are doing well. I truly love your support.

Glad to hear that you might have a backup plan for your appt. Always here to listen & offer support so keep us posted. Hope you have another good night!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom