• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

Revision THR Newbie tkr recovery thread<

OP
OP
Newbie tkr

Newbie tkr

senior
Country
United States United States
Unfortunately cannot get ride.
Will have to do this on my own.
Total time of trip will be about 4 hours.
I have two (back to back) doctor appts. Both doctors in the same building but a 35 mile drive each way.
Won't switch my doctor's closer to home b/c. I love them both and wouldn't trade for the world. Uber would cost about $80 each way!
Oddly, I was feeling pretty excited about getting out and seeing actual people again and that's ALL I was thinking about until I read of your concerns...then I became concerned too, lol. Am going to stay positive and have faith that God's got my back here.
I'll update after appts.
xoxo, Diana

SE Florida

post-grad
Country
My intention really wasn't to make you nervous just aware. Just be careful as you always would, no cell phone, texting, eating, or putting on make-up when driving the car. There, I think that covers it all and probably what you would tell a 16 year old teenager too :heehee:. Oh I almost forgot, NO speeding! Now that I've gone totally off track, you should go out to your car now (not tomorrow at the last minute) and slide in according to instructions posted on the forum. How does it feel------will you need a soft cushion to help with any pain. Consider if you should take some gel ice packs to put on your thigh, groin area, etc. It's better to prep now and not when you're in a rush for your appt. Try to take a pit stop on the way, get out & stretch. Get your mind together and just focus. We'll be thinking of you! @Newbie tkr

Carriemay60

post-grad
Country
Canada Canada
I'm not going to sugar coat it. $80 each way is nothing compared to the danger to yourself and others at so early into recovery. If you just don't have the money, delay the appointment until you can organise a ride through a friend or charity. Please!

Klassy

senior
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I feel a bit bad for saying it, but I am afraid @Carriemay60 is right. $160 is a lot of money, but think how much your hip cost.

But you may be on your way by now, in which case I hope your faith will see you through safely. Thinking of you.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
I have my reservations about your decision also, but our concern wont stop you, I'm gathering.
Prayers for safe travels.

To those reading, I was scheduled to have a 1/2 hour phone conversation with a nurse prior to meeting her in person for what I'll refer to as my OS's version of Joint Camp, as some call it. One of my first questions was when I could drive. She told me some drive to their Two or Three Week post op appts, with physician permission, only consideration is that you're off the heavy narcotics. So it does happen. It was out of my comfort zone at 15 days post op, but obviously we don't all share the same level of confidence.

A couple things @Newbie tkr if you see this before your journey, you may want to bring an ice pack. I'm sure you recall as this is your fourth joint replacement recovery, that car rides can be miserable. At least I found them to be for several months post op. I'm betting this trek will wear you out. It's a lot of activity in one day.

Let us know how your appts go, if you don't mind sharing.
Happy Tuesday!

OP
OP
Newbie tkr

Newbie tkr

senior
Country
Wow. So much good information from you all!
WHY am I not anxious about this?? I AM cautious, prepared (yes, ice pack, pillows, etc.)
I do have a well-made car; it's an older Saab. I have already driven it short distances...point being that the seats are leather and very comfortable.
Carriemay60, I agree in delaying if I could. But I need to pick up WRITTEN scripts today from the doctor- completely out of pain meds and another class-scheduled drug that cannot be called in
(Thanks USofA!!)
Layla: very grateful for your support and knowledge too that you drove on day 15 post-op...I just don't share the apprehension here about making the trip. At all...other than knowing I WILL be very tired, I am so excited to get out of the house today.
I will be very careful. I will have a very sore bottom. I will be eating Ben and Jerry's tonight.
I DO ADORE you all for caring...

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
You misunderstood me, sweetie. Sorry, I need to clarify.
I did not drive at 15 days post op. I didn't have my first post op appt until exactly three weeks post op.
At that time, I was released to drive but waited several more days (within a week though) to actually get behind the wheel. I was simply stating that my OS's nurse said that some do drive to their Two or Three Week post op appts if they call for release and are off all heavy narcotics.
Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Share your flavor later. I never met a Ben and Jerry I didn't like :wink:
Check out their flavor graveyard later today when your icing and chillin:ice:
Yep, for those who don't know, they have an online flavor graveyard for the flavors they retire. Kind of funny :heehee:
Recovery often leads to ice cream discussions. I've participated in my share of them here.
A universal cure for all that ails you!

OP
OP
Newbie tkr

Newbie tkr

senior
Country
Kayla: no worries about the 15-day drive that I thought YOU drove...it actually was a confidence builder for me.
I'M HOME! I'M HOME NOW, SAFE AND SOUND! YIPPEE!
I wouldn't do it again, ever, and my butt is KILLING me but...OS very happy with healing process, got all of my scripts refilled and had no apprehensions about driving at all...just exhausted!
I truly wouldn't advise anyone to do what I did today. But the alternative would have been worse, being without any pain meds.
I am thanking God and felt protected every step of the way.
Thankyou all again for your concerns, feedback and support. I was out and about for almost 5 hours...
Yeah, about that Ben and Jerry's thing...I ended up buying some fudge bars instead, ha!

Klassy

senior
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I am so pleased to read this, thanks for posting.

I think it was definitely one of those “don’t try this at home folks” adventures, but all is well that ends well.

Rest up and enjoy those fudge bars.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Thanks for updating. Great report with OS and thankfully you now have the meds you needed.
I'm happy you made it home safely.
Hopefully now you can ice and relax for the rest of the evening.
Wishing you a peaceful one! @Newbie tkr

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Oh my @Newbie tkr
Glad I've been somewhat sparse on the forum due to family obligations ...as I've been dubbed the Cassandra of the hipster clan of BS.

So I caught up tonight...began with
Oh yeah...she is getting this...oh my...driving alone...oh my stars...hope she will be OK...yay, she's home.

I'm exhausted.
But good for you for carefully doing what you had To do.

Now stay home and behave.:roseshwr:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Newbie tkr

Newbie tkr

senior
Country
Mojo333: ...too cute, really.
Yes, made it there safely and back but my body is paying the price...here it is 2:22am and I feel like every muscle, bone, and joint feel like I've been run over by a truck! Am taking it easy tomorrow and I promise I'll "behave" now- to the best of my limited abilities, lol.
Diana

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
PepperPott
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom