Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

THR Newbie scheduled THR for March

Skins_fan

Country
United States United States
Newbie here. I am 45 years old and scheduled a THR on my right hip for March 9th. I have had a lot of pain over the past 3 years. It’s bone on bone on the right hip. Thankfully no issues with the left. I took the family to Disneyland last month and I could barely move at the end of the day and knew I had to quit putting it off.

I found a surgeon I feel very good about. However, I am kind of freaking out about the whole thing. I am having my surgery done at Hoag hospital in Irvine, California and they send patients home the same day. Is that common? I had platelet rich plasma and stem cells from adipose tissue injected 3 times in my hip last year and the pain was pretty excruciating for me the night of the injections so I am pretty worried about going home the same day as the THR surgery. I am also overweight 6’4” 325 pounds.

The surgeon is going to perform an anterior approach but it’s not robotic assisted. Is there a huge advantage to the robot? My surgeon has done a ton of anterior THR on larger patients and he didn’t even bat an eye at my size so that was comforting but if robotic assisted is superior I might reconsider and look at other surgeons. I appreciate any input. Thank you!

Also I have a trip planned to Vegas for the NFL draft at the end of April which will be 6 1/2 weeks after my currently scheduled surgery. Do you think I will be mobile enough to walk around or is that too much too soon?

longtimechemist

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Welcome @Skins_fan - you’ve found a great place for information about THR, from people who have been through the surgery themselves.
I am sure one of the forum experts will be along soon with advice and information.
Regarding going home on the same day - that will only happen if it is appropriate for you after the surgery is done. You will have a say in that decision, I’m sure.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hi @Skins_fan
Welcome to Bonesmart:welome:

It sounds like you've been nursing that hp for quite some time so congrats on getting a date.

It seems the trend to do same day surgery for hips is on the rise...
Although they should make sure pain is well managed, and that you are comfortable going home. I would discuss these concerns with your OS.

The surgeon is going to perform an anterior approach but it’s not robotic assisted. Is there a huge advantage to the robot?
The surgeon's skill is the most important thing and experience training for robotic assistance would be the critical factor as with most newer technologies.
My surgeon used the anterior approach...no robot...and his training and experience along with my confidence in him has yielded great results for my bilateral hip replacement.
Also I have a trip planned to Vegas for the NFL draft at the end of April which will be 6 1/2 weeks after my currently scheduled surgery. Do you think I will be mobile enough to walk around or is that too much too soon?
I think it would be, but it may depend on how much travel, walking and sitting you want to endure to if it is worth it.
You will likely be mobile enough, but just still healing and dealing with sore muscles.
Here are some helpful links for you to check out.

Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing hip recoveries

Going4fun

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Outpatient surgery has been increasing recently. Surgeons like to limit time in the hospital because they worry that patients are at higher risk for infections with all the hospitalized, sick people around. But you can ask to spend the night in the hospital, if you feel much more comfortable that way.

What might calm your nerves is to call your surgeon's office and find out what percentage of patients are outpatient.

If your surgeon is regularly doing outpatient surgeries, then it's likely they have a good at-home protocol in place, with a nurse calling you or visiting you after the surgery. You can ask about this at-home protocol. If you're concerned about your weight, you can certainly ask to spend the night in the hospital.

No, a robotic-assisted surgery isn't necessarily superior to surgery without robots. I almost used a surgeon who uses a robotic arm and so I read up on the research. Few people in his practice use a robot and no, he doesn't have outcomes that stand out among his colleagues.

Using a robot effectively has a learning curve just like any other method. The robotic arm doesn't perform the surgery. The surgeon performs the surgery.

So the key point is to find an excellent surgeon that you trust. Some excellent surgeons use a robotic arm. Most don't. Using the robot doesn't mean you're a great surgeon--any more than using the anterior approach means you're better than someone using other approaches. Good surgeons use an approach they feel comfortable with, that they are good at!

Last edited:

kernsac

Country
I went home the same day for both my hip surgeries. The idea scared me at first, but I am really glad I did. I had home health come in the next day, and they visited twice a week for two weeks.

Eman85

post-grad
Country
I spent the night in the hospital after my 1st THR and I was happy doing it that way. For my 2nd I was offered the same day service deal at the surgical center as my OS felt I was in good health and knew what to do. I instead elected for the overnight stay at the hospital. It worked out better for my wife and I as it's 2 hours to the hospital and almost 2 1.2 to the surgery center. It was just easier on us to get out around noon the next day and drive home. It was also easier just to lay in the bed at the hospital post op and relax.

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Good morning @Skins_fan Glad to see you here on Bonesmart!
I had the option of going home the same day after surgery and it didn't work out for either hip, mainly due to Low Blood Pressure and I was quite happy to remain there overnight.
My surgeon came in to see me and agreed and said it's not a competition between the patients to see who can go home the earliest.. :heehee: I rather liked him saying that.

As for your planned trip to Vegas at 6.5 weeks post op. That's a tough call. It will depend a lot on how you are feeling by then. You don't mention if it's a trip that involves a longer flight vs a longer car drive, etc. but that must be factored into the equation.
You are asking about mobility and maybe using an assistive device will help you with that, such as a can or even two canes. Having the cane with you also helps keep people from crowding in too close to you. That was my favorite part about carrying one!
If you read through some of the other members recovery threads you will notice a common theme of regrets from overdoing things,, returning to work too soon, etc.
You will know more about your recovery after the first 3 weeks and then you may be able to make the best decision for yourself.
Good luck!! I hope you aren't anxious having to wait until March!

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hello @Skins_fan :wave:
Wishing you all the best for your surgery on Monday.
if you read this, please consider starting a thread on the Recovery side. We will leave you lots of useful information and the support and encouragement you’ll receive over there is next to none. Hope to follow your healing journey.
Wishing you comfort as you wait.

leejaa

Forum Advisor
Country
Best wishes for your surgery and recovery. Keep reading the information here and it really helps to know what will help through recovery.

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Sending best wishes and healing thoughts for your surgery on Monday. Hopefully you're having a restful weekend and just kind of chilling for now.

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Wishing you the best for tomorrow.. I hope you will find, as many of us did, that the last 24 hours zooms past quickly.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Harryrightknee
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom