Newbie, scared, and would love to hear from you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boy, I remember all those feelings and I did cry outside the surgery suite and they did go ahead and put me under and I have been on the road to recovery ever since. You just have to go forward. Like you I was bone on bone and my OS said you will simply get to the point that it will be too painful to walk and at 55 I didn't want to be there. I love the outdoors, flower gardening, landscaping etc and those things were no longer fun for me.

Hang in there. I did try some basic exercise before and rode the stationary bike to try to build back some of the muscle tone I had lost. This forum is wonderful and the folks here give great advice and offer up such support. I have reached out to them so many times I've lost count and I just hope I can give others some of what has been given to me!!

Nana....one of the things I love most about this forum is how free and wonderful the participants are to take time to post for the people who follow them with surgery. That is such a comfort to people. Some may post eventually, but you would be very surprised at the number of people who remain "readers only." I feel like there are probably quite a number of those folks who are helped by posts from someone like you. So thanks for taking time to write!!!

Hi Donna,
You are certainly in the right place. I too am a newbie and scared. Much less scared since finding this site. Everyone here is extremely helpful and supportive. Oh yeah, and have a great sense of humor. I am going in on the 21st and now I can't wait. I lost a lot of the fear since joining this group last week. Good Luck and keep posting.
Jesse

Jesse! Like I always tell everyone,,,,Not only should you pack your semse of humor, but your PATIENCE as well when you go to the hospital!!!! :)

Thanks again to the newest posters, Judles, Nana55 and Jesse. And Jamie I agree wholeheartedly - It is so wonderful to hear from those who have been through the process and take the time to post after surgery. There's nothing like hearing from someone who has actually been there - and like you say, Nana -cried outside the surgery suite! That is so me! And so it is wonderful to receive encouragement from those truly "in the know." I've been doing a few of the post op exercises, but I'll bet it makes a difference, doesn't it, working on those muscles? I need to do more of that...

Oh it does. I am almost certain that is the reason my recovery was so slick! I spent most of last year at the gym 2-3 times a week.

Josephine, and all of you with "knees on" (as opposed to "hands on") experience - ha - Are there any particular pre-surgical exercises that you found to be the most helpful? I picked up a copy of "Total Knee Replacement and Rehabilitation: The Knee Owner's Manual" on a Bone Smart recommendation and it's a great book. Lots of exercises in there. And the author recommends the straight leg raise as a very critical pre-surg exercise to strengthen those unused leg muscles we will need after surgery. Did you find that to be so? Any additional advice on favorite presurgical exercises that really helped get ready for after-surg TKR? Thanks in advance.
PS: Nervous but getting excited, and I just can't wait to get on the road to recovery! It's only two weeks away...

Rosemary,
Welcome! I was nervous, scared, excited, and anticipated getting my life back to being able to enjoy the things I used to do. I was brave, and just went into it well prepared with all the information I could get my hands on to facilitate an excellent recovery. I knew I was in good hands with my OS. The rest would be up to me!
Now I have started enjoying the things I could not do before; skiing, walking, and am anticipating enjoying my gardening and hiking once again.
Be strong, be informed, and you will do just fine. Do purchase the book as it became my very best investment........ along with my Total Gym and my stationary bike.
Best,
Crystal
Hey Crystal! Thanks so much for the link to the book - "TKR and Rehab - The Knee Owner's Manual." It was delayed at Amazon but in stock and shipped right way from Barnes and Noble. I have been reading it voraciously and learning a lot, and doing the exercises. It is is huge help and I can't that you enough for the recommendation!

Straight leg raises
atbn1_google_com_images_ee90d9f11cd3fd1697529d40b801bd46._.jpg

Knee extensions
images

Knee bends
atbn3_google_com_images_00ecb3ddf5211fa4f953d3ed3a75ae79._.jpg

Leg pushes
atbn2_google_com_images_322121bdd9fd9bc5f582fc151d7b982e._.jpg

Upright and/or recliner bike
atbn0_google_com_images_a3596cade8288d184b77ffc2eaf5c4a6._.jpg
atbn0_google_com_images_8f15804047c323b24df178dc45fe43d1._.jpg

Elliptical trainer
atbn0_google_com_images_bc503a55eade0f61998d11d1766e1a4e._.jpg

You guys have all been the best! I'm still anxious, but feeling a little more confident by taking your advice and focusing on the road ahead, the reasons why I am undergoing this surgery, and how great it is going to be to feel better. Your successes and triumphs have been extremely motivating. Tomorrow is the big day for the left knee TKR. I'll post back later after I come home from surgery. And then all the rehab fun begins!

God bless, Catz. Will look forward to reading of your experiences.

I almost left ambulatory surgery before my revision this year..thinking well it's not too bad when it was...and this was after a good result with the same surgeon...minus a problem or two...the year before. Just about got dressed when he came in and said...we'll do another great job for you...you know that right? I stayed and my revision knee is great. It's scary whether you've done it once or twice or like me three times...and I had my share of concerns after...but it worked out fine and yours will also..worry only when there's something to worry about and then just a little...it works.

Catz we are waiting to hear from you. Im sure everything went well. Post soon if you can. And ask any questions you need to as well. We are here for you...........Get well soon......Kim

Catz, WE sound exactly the same!!! I have the same anxieties as you, i am not afraid of Pain( had natural childbirth) but I am afraid of the pre op, anesthesia, etc. I guess i am afraid of being out of control. I alternate between panic and thinking ok i can do it, and then panic! I hope to have a spinal (am having LHR) not general anesthesia. I am not afraid of the sounds and sights in the operating room, its just the GOING in and GOING under! i am going to ask for a calmer-downer med before i get that far! I have found this forum to be a miracle for me. Every response has given me support. just keep posting.

Hi Everybody! I lived! (joke, joke) Well OF COURSE I LIVED!! But considering what a basket case I was on my way into surgery you would have thought I was down for the count! I was still very weepy prior to surgery. They gave me relaxing things before surgery but I was still a wreck and now two weeks later I can't imagine what I was so scared of. Everything went fine and the surgery is the relaxing part - I was unconscious and they did all the work. Now I'm doing all the work! I was in the hospital for four days and had some minimal PT inside, and when I got home I needed help because it's hard to get up and about. But I'm doing well now. I still have weepy moments - which I understand is quite normal - especially between the pain meds and the fact that I've stopped taking my regular hormone supplement for a month. But I'm already doing out for outpatient PT and I have a very kind, supportive physical therapist. That makes a difference doesn't it? I recommend locating a good PT in advance, getting some pre-surgery exercises from them, and establishing that working relationship ahead of time. Since I am sensitive at this time, I really appreciate the fact that I found someone supportive, who checks on me regularly doing exercises to make sure I am OK, and explains what she is working on and why. The expertise of the surgeon is highly critical for the surgery part, but that PT is also your new best friend for months, so now I can offer the advice that a good PT makes all the difference in the world. Ask your surgeon and acquaintances for references and recommendations and get to know the PT, and the ins and outs of their facility, ahead of time. It makes those early visits go a lot easier.
The swelling is on the way down and I am working on flexibility in the knee. You guys are the greatest and I look forward to continuing to post with you. With one knee on the mend I'm still on track to do another in a few months. I really think the next one will be easier emotionally because I know what to expect.
Donna

Donna, how great to hear from you! It sounds like you are doing wonderful in recovery. You are so correct about the importance of excellent therapists. I like your idea about locating one BEFORE surgury that you "click" with...good suggestion for those that follow you!

Another chick returns safely to the nest! Good to see you, Donna.

Yeah Catz. I am so happy everything turned out well . I know you were very nervous, I understand that. Just take it easy though dont do to to much. Post anytime with questions, there will be some. All and All yeah for you , your a tough cookie , hang in there lol !!!!!!!!!KIm

Hi Catz, Happy New Knee To You!!!! you know that can be put into a song,so when you are in PT start singing!

congrats. I'm doing well too. 2 weeks today since op. I get my clips out today and start rehab. I hardly need to use the crutches. The only thing I hate is not being able to drive. Thats the only thing I can't manage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie