THR newbie member

deano

Country
Australia Australia
hi all
i like many have a thr on my left side mine was done when i was 32 yrs old in 1992 the hips been in 28 yrs but it hurts all the time now like a constant dull ache that never goes away and to make matters worse the other side is getting sore as well.
i never expected this hip to last as long as it has ive not been kind to it over the yrs i raced dirt speedway for 20 odd yrs and all the roll overs and hitting other cars and the concrete wall has prob not helped it much.
however its been pretty pain free most of the time apart from the last 6 months or so i need to make a appointment with my surgoun soon i think.
anyways cheers from dean here in south australia

Welcome Deano,

Glad that hip has seen you through some favorite activities for a long while. I hope you will see your doctor soon.

Sorry the other hip is speaking up, too. Two bad hips is not fun to deal with.

Other “Aussie” folks are here, too. Hope you are in a safe area.

hi and thanks
yes we are out of the fire zone we did have some local small fires but the closest main fire would have been 30 miles from us...i had a motor cycle accident in 1977 and almost severed my left leg compound fractures to below knee i broke the ankle and shattered my pelvis as well spent 6 months in hospital and another 12 learning to walk again .had bone grafts skin grafts and artery grafts to the lower leg. but i got arthritis in the hip by the time i was 32 i could hardly weight bear on the leg due to hip pain and altho they wer not too keen to do a hip replacement they really had no choice they told me back then if i got 10 to 15 yrs out of it that would be a great result but i cant complain but not looking forward to more surgery tho.
cheers dean

Welcome @deano
This is a great forum with loads of useful advice from people who have had hip (and other joint) replacements.

:wave:@deano
We have indeed been blessed with several new members from Australia on the hip side of Bonesmart as of late!:) :-) (:
The accident requiring this first hip replacement sounds horrid and surgery sounded extensive.
If you have revision surgery, it will be a controlled trauma so I would imagine you would do exceptionally well without having to deal with all of the injuries sustained during your first one.

We also have a member @jenTjenT who is recovering well from a simultaneous revision in one hip and new replacement in the other.
Both at Once:chuckmarch:
Is this in the realm of possibility for you?
I had BTHR and a one and done recovery was a great deal for me.

im not sure i could cope with both at once as i cant put much weight on my bad leg at the best of times and walk with a pretty big limp.. i bear most of my weight on the good leg so im not surprised that it may be worn out and need replacing but i guess its something i could talk to with my surgeon..
last yr i got a staph infection in my lower left leg that put me in hospital for 3 weeks and i came home wearing a bag over my shoulder with a picc line in and had baxter bottels putting antibiotics in i had to wear it for 12 weeks.
they think the staph infection has been there the whole time and lays dormant till my immune system is low and out it comes there was talk if it didnt clear up that amputation may be needed something thats been a possibility since the original accident . this leg has given me so much trouble since the accident in 1977. over 30 operations and tbh im sick of hospitals but im grateful of our health system even tho our private health insurance is expensive i have had more than my moneys worth out of it .
wishing you all well
dean

Oh my stars...30 operations!:shocked:
I can understand why you would be hesitant to take on two...however once those joints are replaced you will have 2 stable hips, just really sore legs!!!!
Just a thought.
I hope that you are able to get this sorted as it sounds like you've had an awfully tough go of it.

I am so very sorry to learn about your awful accident :thud:. It good to hear you are in a safe area. We do hear about what has been going on.

My stars, you are quite the survivor. It sounds like you may already have a surgeon in mind.

last yr i got a staph infection in my lower left leg that put me in hospital for 3 weeks and i came home wearing a bag over my shoulder with a picc line in and had baxter bottels putting antibiotics in i had to wear it for 12 weeks.

I understand your concern and hope your surgeon and his team of medical/nutritional experts can get you where you need to be, if you choose surgery. Maybe it is summer there, and perhaps a healthier time of year, as our summers tend to be.

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you've been a little rough on the old body but that's what living is. Better to get your money's worth out of the ride! I gave up street motorcycles a while back, bad hips made it painful to ride any distance. Still racing but I drag race, a lot easier on the pocketbook and the body. Hope they can patch you back up, plenty of life and racing to do.

Hello @deano - and :welome:

It does sound as if your hip replacement needs to be revised. You'll need to look for a surgeon who specializes in fixing problem hips. These surgeons see the people whose joints give more complex problems. In view of the multiple surgeries you've had on your leg, I think you need an expert to help you now. Make sure that the surgeon you see is aware of your history of staph infection as well.

Fortunately, you live in Adelaide, which is a large enough city to have the type of surgeon you need.

Best wishes for moving forward with your hips. Do let us know how you get on, won't you?

hi all
yes i have a surgeon when my original dr retired his practice was taken over bt dr rory montgomery and ive been seeing him once every couple of years for check up on the hip last time it was showing signs of wear but i was not getting any pain with it then so we decided to let it be for the time been but i think it's time to go back and get some xrays done on both hips and see what one he would like to do first they both hurt about the same.
i guess i always knew as i got older the injuries would catch up i get a lot of sciatic pain as when i shattered the pelvis the sciatic nerve got trapped in there when i had the accident i went over the car that hit me and landed in a sitting position on the road also damaging some vertebrae so i suffer now with back pain as well..i am lucky my local gp understands my needs and tries his best with pain relief i am on kapanol twice a day ie slow release morphine capsules and panadene forte ie codine plus other meds for the nerve damage.
i am fortunate to have a wonderful wife who is my pillar of strength and without her i would be in a lot worse place god bless her ..

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom