THR Newbie here....have a few questions

cheranne

Country
United States United States
Im 5 weeks post op as of today....i just found this site and it is so helpfull, there are so many questions i had that have been answered on here, i want to thank everyone for being so nice and helpful.. I do have a few concerns, not sure if im doing something wrong or if its normal...I had a THR Left side and that side is still numb and it is hard by the incision and around it. Was just wondering if that is normal or is something wrong....still trying to get rid of my limp but i have noticed like others have said that when i get tired i get limpy....

5 weeks there's still a lot of healing. mine is posterior and my incision didn't go numb. Now I did have previous incisions on that hip and they have been numb for years, just at the incision. Massaging the incision area did help once it was completely healed.

Thank you....mine is anterior and the incision looks good but its really hard and it makes me very nervous that something is wrong, it doesnt look infected or anything, maybe im just being overly proctective of it....

@cheranne, it's hard not to worry. I've had panics over several things that turned out to be fine. It's probably good in that it keeps us cautious. But know that most of the worries turn out to be perfectly normal aspects of healing. When in doubt, contact your surgeon's office -- they will either deal with it or put your mind at ease.

Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us.
The numbness can last for quite some time, slowly dissipating over several months. I've read the incision cuts small nerve fibers that run from inside to outside of the hip resulting in the numbness. As long as you're not experiencing any of the common signs of infection I'd try not to be concerned with the incision.
Common Signs Of Infection:
Fever
Unusual or increasing pain
The incision is hot to the touch
A change in the size of the incision
A change in the odor of the discharge
A yellow or green discharge that is increasing
Redness or hardening of the surrounding area
Excessive bleeding that has soaked through the incision
You can always phone the office of your OS with concerns if you need reassurance.

It's recommended you use an assistive device until you're no longer limping.
Try heel-toe walking when / if you're limping. Let your heel hit the ground first followed by toes.
It takes a concentrated effort but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try.

Below you'll find the Recovery Guidelines. Please read them thoroughly as much of the information still applies at five weeks post op. Stop by anytime with questions and we'll do our best to advise. We'd also love to follow your progress so updates are always welcome.

Have a great week!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice. @cheranne

Thanks everyone, this site is very helpfull with alot of questions...my physical therapist told me about it and im sure glad she did....im probably driving her nuts with all my questions and i see im not the only one with all these questions.....Thanks everyone you are all very helpfull

Wonderful to hear your PT enlightened you in regard to BoneSmart. Its an awesome resource!
I can't imagine my recovery without it. Stop back often, we'll be here. :wave:
@cheranne

Hi Cheranne...l am 7weeks in with left THR and it's still numb and hard and according to my OS and PT...likely to be for some time...most day brings new worries...aching , pain and frustration of not moving on !!! But , this site has been invaluable in terms of feedback from people who have "been through it " , unlike most OS and PT's....it seems most things are normal...l still worry that something is not quite right :yikes:.but its kept at bay by this wonderful group of people...stay well....:friends:....

@cheranne Welcome to BoneSmart! Can you please give me the exact date of your THR and which hip was replaced? I'll pop the information in your signature for you.

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Please leave us an update. We'd love to read all about your progress.
It's inspiring to those following behind you also.
Wishing you a wonderful week! :flwrysmile:
@cheranne

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back