TKR Newbie and Frustrated

Candygirl22

Country
United States United States
Hi All- Had Right TKR done November ‘22. Things started out great. That was until I home PT said, let’s move you to the cane…. I took that and had a grand time with freedom. ;) The new knee didn’t appreciate it. Then I had my 70lb Chocolate Lab run into me twice from the side. Needless to say, I wish I had never done this dang surgery. I’m 51 and feel as though I’m 90. My OS has been pretty fantastic, although, I wish more urgent.
I‘ve had all the things… aspiratio, MRI, PT, etc. Well on Monday(5/22) he went in arthoscope. Removed “angry/inflamed scar tissue”. Yesterday, I took my first shower since Sunday. Knee locked while standing in the shower and now throbbing excruciating pain down the lateral(outside) towards the tibia. So beyond frustrated.
Sent doctor an email and he wants me to let him know should it happen again, to try to remember if the knee is fully extended and if so, did it lock if I turn to a specific side. Why does that matter? If it locks, it locks. And boy does it HURT. I just want to get where I was before the TKR, at least then I was able to function kind of…..
Sorry for the vent…. Just looking to see if anyone has any suggestions or has gone thru similar.

Hello and Welcome to BoneSmart! Thanks for joining us.
I am sorry you’re having such a rough time. Hopefully the locking doesn’t happen again, but if it does, it is important for your surgeon to have the information he’s looking for to evaluate why it’s occurring.

In the meantime hopefully ice and OTC meds will get you through. I will leave our Recovery Guidelines since you’re only six months into a recovery that can last a full year for many and even longer for some. Please give us the exact date of your November TKR so we’re able to create a signature for you.

I wish you comfort and speedy relief. Please stay in touch and let us know how you’re doing.
@Candygirl22

KNEE RECOVERY GUIDELINES

As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

I think I had replied. My surgery was 11/2/2022. I know everyone is different, I was just hoping I’d be further along by this point. I honestly am worse off than I was pre-op.
None the less….keep on pushing. :)

keep on pushing
Actually, it could be "pushing" that is delaying your recovery. You might benefit by taking a step back and giving your poor knee -- which has been through a lot -- time to heal. In the articles that Layla shared with you above, you'll find advice on just how to do that.

I'm sorry your didn't find us sooner, but am glad you are here now. Sending hugs. :console2:

You can not push your knee into healing any faster than it's going to heal. It takes an average of 1 year for a TKR to heal. When you had your scar tissue removed your knee was only 50% healed. This new surgery date is the new date to go by now. That means you are only 5 days out of another major surgery on a knee that had not even healed all on the way Monday. This is a setback from your TKR surgery. Now, is the time to be VERY gentle with your knee. Your movements should not be forced in any way. Pushing it will have negative results, not positive ones. Ice, elevate, and rest as much as you can.

You would be much better off not doing exercises, just doing your normal, gentle daily activities.

Thanks for the replies. I’m now experiencing what feels like a vice gripe on my knee as well as my foot. It’s absolutely horrible.
The knee locked during sleep last night as well.
Just over it. Thanks Again for the replies and listening. I appreciate it.

When you say your knee is locking, what exactly do you mean? Are you unable to bend it at all or does it feel stiff at that current position? I've never heard of a locking of the knee and need to understand better.

Locking as in, it’s stuck. Like it’s stuck in place. So last night it was slightly bent, I tried to roll over and my leg/knee was suck. I had to physically adjust with my hands to move.
Previous to Mondays procedure, all my pain was medial(inside), now everything is lateral(outside).

I haven't heard of this locking before. I have heard of really stiff knees, but not knees that have to be physically moved with the hands. Have you contacted your OS?

Now, your traveling aches and pains, that is normal. Discomfort can move all over your knee and leg.

I did let my OS know initially about the locking, I plan on being in touch on Tuesday. This foot issue is crazy…. Honestly, like a vice grip.

Please let us know what your doctor says.

Hello Candygirl,
Stopping by on this one month anniversary of your last procedure and wondering how you're doing?
Please let us know as time allows and remember we're here for support if you need us.
I hope you have a peaceful weekend!
@Candygirl22

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker