THR Newbee

HipHiporay

Country
United States United States
Hello and thank all of you posting about your THR experiences. I am feeling better informed hearing from others who will or have gone through this experience. Excited to get on the other side of this and re-start the use of my new joint. The biking group looks interesting.

My concern is about my current dental status. Due to Covid I have suspended going to the dentist. I have no problems (teeth & gums seem healthy) but so much has been said about not having any cavities, infections, etc. I am hoping that my lack of recent care or sign off from my dentist won't interfere with getting my surgery. Has this been an issue for any of you?

Hi @HipHiporay , and welcome.

I too suspended dental visits due to Covid, but as a member of this forum since first hip , I was aware that there are concerns about dental issues. So I managed to fit in a checkup just before my second THR in January. Fortunately it showed all clear. I think if your teeth feel fine and you have been looking after them, then as I found, they probably are fine.

I had no advice from my hospital about dentistry, so I don’t think it would have stopped surgery if the check up had found anything needing work. I might have had to wait a little while to get it fixed post op.

But I have read of others on this forum who have been required to get a sign-off. Hopefully that doesn’t apply to you - if you have been booked in and they haven’t mentioned it yet, that would be a good sign that you don’t need a sign-off.

Welcome to BoneSmart and thanks for joining us!
In my personal experience there were no requirements around dental care aside from being advised to have any necessary work completed within a certain amount of time before surgery, or wait until a specified amount of time afterward. This window may vary from surgeon to surgeon and I’m sure through a quick call to your surgeon’s office you’ll be able to find out what your OS advises.

I’ll leave you a little pre-op reading material. Please stay in touch and let us know if you have questions. We’re all here for support and will be happy to help.
A great day to you!

Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Stories of amazing hip recoveries
@HipHiporay

Welcome to the forum!
Most surgical offices will ask that you don't get any dental work 6-8 weeks before surgery, or they will cancel your surgery if you do. It has to do with decreasing your chance of a tooth infection moving to your new hip and causing an infection there or other issues.

Do you have a surgical date? if not and you require any type of care, I would get it done now so it's done and out of the way, before you start planning for your procedure and it's date.

Thank you for the information. It really helps to hear reaffirmation of what I had read and remembered. There’s a lot to do to get ready for surgery and post surgery!

Your surgery is soon! I think if your surgeon was going to require a clearance from your dentist, he would have requested it much earlier.
Wishing you the best with your big day!

Hi there,

Yes, I agree. It’s off my list of questions.

Mind over Matter Moment

I feel like my hip has deteriorated since I scheduled my surgery. My wonderful partner, of 50 years, who knows me so well asked, “Do you think it’s worse because now you’re letting the actual pain break through your mental guard?” The light bulb lit up! Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon? I love to workout, dance, hike, work in the yard. In fact, I will muscle & mentally power through 2 weightlifting/body pump classes, 1 Pilates and 1 stretch and train class weekly until the day of surgery. Mental power rocks… ow. Just hope I don’t overdue it. Has any body been doing the pre-op exercises that are identified on line? They’re not easy but I can see where they will help you keep muscle mass and stamina for what’s coming!
The conference yesterday was really good and very helpful in terms of the befores, operation and aftermath. It has been recorded and is worth a listen.

One last question. Bag of peas or ice machine for coping w pain & inflammation?

Thanks….good luck to all!

Oh my,, just know that bags of frozen peas tend to leak and make a mess of everything.
I never had an ice machine but people who have, loved theirs.
I bought around 6 ice packs and rotated them as needed.

I agree with the Mind over Matter! After we "give in" to the decision the mind relaxes a bit.
May 25 is coming up, though!

Hello and Happy Monday! @HipHiporay
Some say pain intensifies as they get closer to their date, others say it lessens. The latter then worry they’re moving too fast on replacing their hip. Then…some fall in the middle, I was one of those. Pain wasn’t excruciating, but life wasn’t what it once was, or could be.

I didn’t do the pre-op exercises, but many do and if you can do them comfortably enough, I say Go For It!

Regarding Cricket Hips comment on the frozen pea bags leaking, also heard it creates an unpleasant smell. I’d go the ice machine or frozen gel pack route instead.

Thanks for kudos on JRAD. I’ll pass that on to Admin, your commentary on the topic is appreciated. Have a great week!

Maintaining your fitness now will be a great asset to you during recovery. I think post-op you should listen to your body more than you normally do. Trying to power through on a hip which is still mending can be counterproductive.

Whatever you do, STAY AWAY FROM THE FROZEN PEAS! And the frozen blueberries. And frozen strawberries. And frozen spinach. I can post photos of my pea-stained bed linen if you need evidence. The stains are permanent, although smelling like peas was fortunately reversible. A supply of ice packs worked fine for me.

Thank you for your responses and feedback. I'm glad I heard from Klassy...no food ice bags, got it! I just read the article about cryotherapy and it seems that no matter what your budget you can afford ice therapy and can easily use it responsibly without burning your skin by simply putting a layer of material between you and the source. it was good to hear that you can use it as much as you like without needing to follow the typical 20 mins. on 20 mins. off routine. I liked the recipe for making your own flexible ice bags (4:1 water to isopropyl alcohol).

Has anyone used an aquatic bicycle for rehabbing your hip? Are there recommendations/restrictions for upper body weight lifting and toning exercises.

I'm really getting jazzed to have my surgery. Two days until my meeting with my surgeon for pre-op. I'm staying home and nesting.

Ok take care with the ice. Balance Is needed!

the idea is the system ups its circulation to remove debris and provide help and healing to area to keep infection down etc….

that causes heat and swelling and discomfort.

you now provide ice to keep that down. Fine. So you are comfortable. Fine. But you are slowing healing and recovery…ok?

balance!

I'm really getting jazzed to have my surgery
Great news! Sounds like you’re ready to roll. :thumb:

In regard to icing -

Icing for up to twenty minutes only is what most of us have heard or been advised to do following an injury. Following joint replacement, ice is a critical part of pain management and should be used not only on the joint, but any surrounding areas of discomfort for as often and as long as you're comfortable doing so, always placing fabric between your skin and the ice source. Icing helps bring relief from the soft tissue trauma and internal swelling. Icing is a great natural pain reliever and best of all, it's free. While some care providers do put a maximum time on icing, others suggest you ice as often as you see fit.

Happy Tuesday to you. I hope it’s a good one!
@HipHiporay

I used an ice machine, it was great. I could use it constantly as it stayed cold for hours at a time. When the frozen water bottles I used in it melted down I just rotated in 4 that were in the freezer and I was good to go for hours again. I could use it when I went to bed also with no problem.

Good suggestions. I'd like to get some sleep so taking the ice machine to bed sounds comforting.

Tomorrow is your big day. I hope you’re feeling well prepared and ready for this new chapter. I’m excited for you! You’re going to love your new hip and the ability to return to all you love and have been missing out on. If you’d like to start you recovery thread today, please do. It may make it easier for you once you’re resting comfortably back home and feel like updating. All the best tomorrow!
@HipHiporay

:wave:@HipHiporay
Getting this chronic hip pain gone and on the way back to happy and healthy is life changing.
Healing hugs in advance!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back