BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

New Year New Knee

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Zommom, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Zommom

Zommom member

United States United States
    I was planning on knee replacement surgery with my orthopedic surgeon in August. I have bilateral osteoarthritis with left leg pretty much bone on bone and the right one quickly approaching that stage.

I had surgery on the right knee in August for a torn meniscus and was waiting for that to heal before the left's surgery to replace. Well September 11th I had a cerebral veinous thrombosis (stroke) I have recovered from that but they have placed me on Warfarin for approx 6 months. I was told that I cannot have the surgery until I am off of blood thinners.

My pain is a constant 7-8. I cannot take aspirin or Advil. Tylenol does nothing. I am considering going off the blood thinner to get this done. Has anyone else faced this?

2. Pumpkln

Pumpkln FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

@Smokey253
    They are right, you cannot have surgery until you are finished with your course of blood thinners.
    Since your OS is going to want clearance from the MD prescribing the blood thinners, you most likely will have to wait until you have finished the 6 months.
    I do not think it is worth the risk of another stroke, to quit blood thinners early.

Suggest you ask to see a pain medication doctor for other options for you knee pain.
    Have you tried a TENS unit? TENS machines for pain management

Good luck in you search for answers.

3. Zommom

Zommom member

Thank you. I am using TENS, as well as RED Light therapy, I also have had cortisone and prolozone injections. Last week I tried acupuncture. I made an appointment at a pain management center through Sanford but cannot get in until January. I did find one that I am getting an initial consultation tomorrow. I am hoping for some relief!

4. Pumpkln

Smokey,
    Stanford is one of the top pain clinics in the country, I am interested in your opinion after you have seen them.
    Here is a link to a book by Beth Darnell PhD, she is one of their researchers. It also includes a good meditation CD with the paperback. The CD may help with your pain.

January seems a long way off, but it is only a little over a month away.

5. Zommom

Zommom member

Thanks for the info. I am afraid that it was a misunderstanding on the facility I have an appointment with it is Sanford not Stanford. The appt was made in September so the wait has been long! I also looked up reviews for them and not favorable at all!

6. Pumpkln

Sorry for the mix up, the book recommendation still stands.

7. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    @Smokey253 - My husband has to take Warfarin for a heart condition.
    However, he has been able to have surgery.

The surgeon made a plan, which consisted to taking him off Warfarin for 3 days prior to surgery. Instead of the Warfarin, he had to have a daily injection of Clexane (Enoxaparin). He continued having Clexane injections for 10 days after his surgery and then reverted to taking Warfarin.

It might be helpful for you if you contact the doctors responsible for your follow-up care after your stroke and ask them if there is a way of managing your care in a similar fashion.
    It would help if your orthopaedic surgeon was brought into this discussion as well - then they might be able to make a plan so you can have your knee replacement.

8. Zommom

Zommom member

Thanks all. I had an interesting conversation with the pain management clinic I just went to. They basically do nothing but injections and since they no longer work for me not helpful.

Except they explained there is a new procedure that freezes the nerves and could last up to 3-4 months. It is called Iovera. Not sure anyone is familiar with this but its an option. I am checking into this because they stated I have to be off of blood thinners for 3 days for this to be done. I am going to check with my OS and Medical Doctor on the possibility! There's a glimmer of hope!

9. Celle

New Zealand New Zealand
    My husband's cardiologist told him that being off blood thinners for 3 days prior to surgery increases the risk of getting a clot by only a very small amount and is sometimes justified, depending on the circumstances.

I'm glad you're going to check with your surgeon a medical doctor.

I'm not sure how effective those injections are - I have heard of some that failed.

While you're making inquiries, have you considered icing your painful knees? Ice is a good pain-reliever, both pre-op and post-op: Ice to control pain and swelling

10. SusieShoes

SusieShoes FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Ice really does help, though it’s not a miracle treatment. I found it very helpful the last two months before my surgery, when I was told to take no pain meds other than Tylenol. Tylenol didn’t help at all. :sad: Ice, though, did help quite a lot. My pain then was 8-9 and it was difficult to wait those few months.

Knee pain isn’t life-threatening, though. Recovering well from your stroke needs to come first. The Iovera treatment is intriguing. I’ve only read about it but it is something to look into.

11. Zommom

Zommom member

Thank you all for the comments. I have come to some inner peace that this process is not a sprint but a marathon. I am blessed that i have recovered from the stroke and I am back to work full time while many do not. I am a firm believer that we must all take charge for our health concerns and that means looking at all options. I do know that knee replacements are my only option and i am at peace with that. Its just preparing and treating the problem before i can have this done. I have reached out to both my OS and medical dr. if i need to be off of blood thinners for 3 days for this procedure it makes more sense to actually have the surgery. They give blood thinners for after care!

• Like Like x 2
  12. Celle

New Zealand New Zealand
    You've done all you can and I'm glad you've found peace.
    Best wishes.

13. Zommom

Zommom member

Hello all, I had an appointment this morning with my Orthopedic Surgeon. We had updated X Rays taken. My left is bone on bone - no amount of pain management ideas have worked or will work. With that being said he stated that surgery to replace is the only option. The right one recently had the torn meniscus surgery in August and they want to wait on that one. I seem to be managing better on that one. He will have me off of blood thinners from 3-5 days pre surgery and immediately back on after. He is thinking a night or two of hospital to make sure all is well. Thank you to those commenting about being off of the blood thinners for a few days were an option! I asked outright! The sooner this can be done the better (I never wished more for a surgery than this one)!

14. Zommom

Zommom member

The train has left the station and I am on my way to TKR! After meeting with my MD and the Anti Coagulation Clinic nurse they will do a bridge therapy for my Warfarin cessation . I guess with Levo? (sp) shot. The surgeon wants me off 7 days prior to surgery. They have penciled in the date of January 29th! I will get confirmation on December 17. Now I am working on pre surgery pain management. Tylenol does not help. I do have Tramadol but it makes me nauseous. I have ordered the Ossur ice therapy unit to help me before and after the surgery and I am using the Quell (tens system) directly on my left knee. I am only able to work 1/2 days because of the pain. I have been reviewing all the great posts and have come across many helpful hints.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Celle

New Zealand New Zealand
    I'm glad you have a date for your surgery.

16. SusieShoes

Not too far off now! I know what you mean about having never wished for a surgery more than this one. By the time I went to the hospital for mine, I wanted nothing more in the world than for the surgeon to replace my knees!

Your medical team has what sounds like a well-thought plan for your blood-thinner issues. That's the sort of thing to work closely with your surgeon. Ice does help with the pain (it did for me, too) and I hope the TENS unit helps too. I never tried it, but have heard many positive things.

17. Zommom

Zommom member

Icing like crazy and it helps a bit. The Tens unit helps a bit. Doctor prescribed an anti nausea pill that helps with the nausea I get from the Tylenol and the Tramadol. I am fine and not taking anything but the ice and tens if I am off my feet like this past weekend but back to work on Monday and dealing with the pain ranging about an 7 - 8I I lessened my hours at work and go home to rest ice and elevate. I use a cane but I am wondering if people get around better with a walker? Walking on this snow and ice is challenging. I feel that this is all a nightmare or a bad joke. How quickly our lives change.

18. SusieShoes

Use whatever aid helps you best and keeps you safe. That’s what things like walkers, canes, and crutches are for: keeping you mobile AND safe. If a walker does the best job of that, use the walker. Give it a try, especially if you think it will be best in snow. Not much is good on ice, but you can make sure the walker has slip-resistant tips on the legs for best grip.

Hang in there. That pain will go away after your surgery and you will heal from the surgical pain. You’re an expert now on using ice and the TENS. You will use them post-op. Yes, our lives change, but not only for the worse... yours will soon be changing for the better!

19. Zommom

Zommom member

I was at the clinic giving my usual quart of blood (ok not that much but it seems like it)to check my platelets , INR etc. and I was having a little pity party waiting for the valet to bring up my car. Experiencing terrible knee pain today with left screaming and rightly singing loudly with nothing working fast enough or well enough for me when a young lady kinda hobbled by me and sat down waiting for her car. I was joking around about maybe she should borrow my cane as she clearly was not getting around well. She turned toward me with tears in her eyes and said she just got done with a DR's appt (she is suffering with a torn leg muscle (i can't remember which one) a bulging disk and another fused disk along with fibermylasia. She said her doctor just told her to take more tylenol and there was nothing more to do for her. I almost started crying myself she clearly was in pain. So young. I told her I was sorry for her pain and not to give up on help. I recommended going online to look up forums like this for advice and hugs. I told her how much I appreciated this forum. I also talked about the TENS unit i was wearing and how it is helping to take the edge off. So I put my pity party aside and will think of that young lady with her whole life ahead of her and that my pain will be remedied. I also remembered I was parasailing and zip lining just 2 years ago and I was 60 :thumb:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Zommom

Zommom member

I am 2 weeks using the TENs unit (not sure I can give the brand name) but I can wrap around my knee, it’s been a god send for the arthritis pain I am dealing with, I wear all day with continuous use: it takes my level down from a 7-8 to a 4-5. Just thought I would share with those dealing with this constant horrible pain, I have my appt with my OS Monday is there a list somewhere of what to ask him? I have a few questions but I want to make sure my bases are covered!