TKR New year, new knee!<

Hi there Celle, reporting from my desk at work here....
It's been very tough to make that return after packing up my Mum's house, when what the knee really needed was a complete rest!
However, as the saying goes, "Life is what happens..."
I have ice packs here, and use them regularly, but sometimes the knee is so painful at night that I don't sleep well. Also, I am on my own at home, so can't just relax after work or on weekends.
I still need to do my Mum's errands and make sure her meds are on track at the retirement place (they are not good at that). In the last 3 weeks I have had all day visits to the hospital emergency rooms here for her because of hip pain and an ankle infection (Cellulitis). She received the proper prescriptions from the doctors, but I had to really get after them about filling those prescriptions, and then dispensing them properly. Some of the PSWs interpreted instructions one way, and some another - very hard on her.
Like you, I wish for no regrets when the time comes, so will do all in my power to assure her comfort.
Then there is the yard, groceries, etc. I did get a yard work person to mow the lawn - all that uneven ground would be a nightmare.
Often after work, I have to crash for a while with ice and elevation on the sofa.
This weekend there is a CT scan for my mother at the local hospital - looking further into the cause of all that hip pain. Because of the timing of the CT scan, she will miss the dinner hour, so I will treat her to a Mother's Day dinner out - more vertical time.
I can't ask for more leave time, as the new computer system is not in place, locking out all leaves.
Plan B is to ask for a 4 day week, with the "off day" being Wednesday, giving me a chance to recup mid-week.
thank you again for all the help you provide to the "survivors" here.... this really is a surgery that knocks one sideways!
take care, Lynn

Hi again, Lynn.
You're doing the very best you can, in difficult circumstances.
I think it's a great idea to ask for a 4-day week, with Wednesday off mid week. I hope you are allowed to do it.

Your knee is going to recover, but it may be more slowly than you would like, because you have to be more active than the ideal. However, life isn't always ideal and you do what you have to do.

We'll be here for you whenever you need us.

Best wishes, :flwrysmile:

Thank you so much for the reassurance - it is valued, as I'm sure you remember early in your surgery experience.
A CT scan is in the works for this knee, before I go to the surgeon again on the 19th. Thank you for the advice about waiting for the MUA - this duration will be just what you have described, I bet - longer and slower.
By Friday evenings, the band around the knee has teeth.
The boss has responded so positively to my Wednesday reprieve suggestion! In fact, he thanked me for thinking of it, and explained that he's been overwhelmed with the new system, and with personnel issues (which are clear to see). He made some kind observations of my hard work and contributions at work, and then he said we would not go through Human Resources so that I would not lose pay for those days (my leave was without pay because all my leave times had been used to help my mother) - this will just be between himself and me. What a relief, and how kind the offer to use the time without reducing pay.
That break in the middle of the week will be a welcome opportunity to rest the knee.
This weekend I would like to wish you a Happy Mother's Day, and also some special memories to savour of your own Mum.
Thank you very much for following my thread and for reminding me about the potential for healing.

Oh, Lynn, I'm so pleased for you that your boss is so helpful. :yes!: Way to go!

My daughter and her husband became guardians for a toddler two years ago (in March, they were granted an adoption order for her). As they had been married for 11 years and were both working full time, that meant considerable adjustments, additional expense and some loss of income.

The little one has to go into day care while they work, but my daughter was able to negotiate to have Wednesdays off. That works well for them, as they have a day mid-week to unwind, and it has turned into a Mummy-daughter day. That satisfactory arrangement means that the wee one has 4 days a week in day care (which she enjoys and calls her "work") and 3 days each week at home. The mid-week day off refreshes both of them.

Here's hoping that you had some funl moments with family today, and that the weather where you are was pleasant as well.
Here it was windy and chilly, so I bundled my mother up to take her for her CT scan at the hospital before taking her for dinner.
Thank you for your reply.
Yes, Wednesdays are actually more helpful than half time, because that is a day that I do not have to make the trek to work. Your daughter would have had the luxury of a day beginning with Mummy-daughter time, instead of heading to work, and trying to fit that into an afternoon after putting in a morning at work. It does add a "no pressure" day in the middle of the week.
Happy Mother's Day!

Having Wednesdays off is a big help. I always try to work no more than two days in a row. I'm a nurse so I can usually negotiate that schedule. I'm sorry about your mom being in pain. It is very hard to deal with a sick parent, recuperate from a TKR, work fulltime and then also live alone. I'm kind of in the same boat. My dad is not doing well mentally and I see the time approaching when he will have to be moved to a facility to get the help he will need. Plus he lives 3.5 hours away from me. We just have to do the best we can for them. I hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day being with your mom today.

Thank you Marian, it sure does help to have this forum, where we can swap our experiences. I can't imagine how isolating this surgery would have been without it.
Thank you for telling me about your dad - the decline is so hard to see, when they were once so capable. I'm sorry he's so far away from you. Having my mother at a place that is 4 minutes away is a huge advantage, and I can be there in the middle of the night when I am needed.
The knee is still pretty stiff, but those with experience like Celle tell me it will eventually heal and improve - not having enough horizontal time means it will take longer. We're so fortunate to have folks who know all that this involves, to stay around this website and forum to help newcomers like ourselves.
I love your avatar!!! Is that your dog? We gave my mother a Yorkie pup six months after my dad passed away - he brought her back to life! A couple of years ago, when she became unable to care for him, I was lucky enough to be the one to take over his care. He had already spent many times with me when my mother went away, so he was comfortable, and I just loved him to bits (still do). He developed kidney disease and other health complications, so the "at home" vet came to free him from that frail old body last spring at this time. It was his fifteenth birthday when he went on to the next adventure.
That was the toughest, toughest thing I have ever done. He was such a dear, loving old soul. I still miss him parts of every day. Enjoy your canine buddy!!! They leave a huge hole in our hearts when they go on ahead of us. In an ideal world, we would age together and be ready to pass on at the same time. I read a heartfelt definition of euthanasia - "when we love them enough to trade their pain for our own".
Thanks again for taking the time to add your experience to this thread. I am still looking forward to that Eureka moment when I say it was all worth it. Not yet.

Good morning from across the pond,
This is a tough time for Bonesmart, with the cutbacks creating financial stress. I have tried to make a donation through my credit card, but international cards cannot be accepted for some reason.
I sincerely wish to contribute to this "grass roots" support site.
This surgery would have been an isolating, frightening experience without the help of folks like Josephine (the credibility and knowledge member), and the contributions of all of the members who have "walked the walk".
I understand if my thread is not the place for this discussion. I have tried to reach administration to get the information I need to contribute.
I know there is a deadline.
BTW, I finally had a CT Scan two days ago - knee still stiff and painful, especially by the end of the day at work.
It has been 6 months, and discouraging. That vice grip grows teeth!!!

Just for everyones info, I tried to contribute several times but the page kept locking up. I finally discovered that my Chrome autofill was causing the page lockup. I entered my information manually and it went through. So if you are having a problem and you use autofill, that would be the trouble.

Thanks, FlaGranny! Actually, I don't use google for this. The notice that popped up said that international donations could not be accepted.
I live in Canada - is your credit card British?
Thanks for any clarification.

No, it is US. I had tried to use Paypal, then a credit card, and the BoneSmart page kept locking up when Chrome autofilled my info. Just wanted others to be aware of the autofill problem. I did realize that was not your problem. My US bank credit card went right through. I doubt my US card is any less international than yours.:wink:

wow... thank you for this information Flagranny.
I wonder if I can find a way to make mine go through. I'll try again. It's important to try to keep Bonesmart available for those who deal with ortho surgery - a tough journey.
Thank you again for telling me that you were able to get through!

Thanks Flagranny - will do. That's a good idea.
L

Would anyone know of a source for arthrofibrosis? I had a TKR on the right side in 2016, and it's always been swollen and stiff - painful as well - worse than it was before the surgery. I would welcome suggestions. The surgeon has washed his hands of this one.

Hi lilbit
Thanks for reaching out on the New Years Eve thread. I moved your post to your knee recovery thread from a few years back because I feel you'll get more feedback here. The NYE thread is only open for a very limited time, so more members will likely view your post on the Knee forum and hopefully you'll receive some responses.

I am sorry you're struggling and looking for answers. I hope you find relief soon. May 2023 be a good year for you!

Following is some information from our Library, but I must add the list is from 2016, but it may be a start -
Names of US surgeons with experience in arthrofibrosis

A brief online description for those reading and unfamiliar with Arthrofibrosis -
What is Arthrofibrosis?
Arthro” means joint and “fibrosis” means the formation of scar tissue. Therefore, arthrofibrosis is an abnormal or excessive growth of scar tissue. Cause of Arthrofibrosis-
  • Arthrofibrosis most commonly occurs in the knee after ACL reconstruction when the patient does not achieve normal hyperextension immediately after surgery.
  • It can also occur when the ACL graft is not placed properly to allow the graft to fit perfectly in the intercondylar notch where it belongs, or when the graft is too large to fit in the intercondylar notch.
  • Arthrofibrosis can also occur after other knee surgeries as well (knee replacement, arthroscopy).
  • Knees that develop arthrofibrosis and a loss of range of motion, will never feel normal to the patient

Would anyone know of a source for arthrofibrosis? I had a TKR on the right side in 2016, and it's always been swollen and stiff - painful as well - worse than it was before the surgery.
Normally arthrofibrosis does not cause pain or swelling in your knee. What you are experiencing sounds more like inflammation to me, especially since it's swollen. I suggest you see another OS, one that is out of your area and has no affiliation with your current medical group. Your knee needs a fresh set of eyes looking at it. Since it has never been right after your surgery, it sounds like it's a problem with your implant or the surgery. You certainly need a second opinion and I wouldn't want to go back to a doctor that 'washed his hands' of me!

Have you tried icing and elevating? Also, Tylenol might help. You can try ibuprofen if you have no stomach or heart problems. It's best to ask your PCP about taking that or any other NSAIDs, which can be bad for you. But, NSAIDs are good anti-inflammatories and can reduce that swelling and stiffness, which in turn will decrease your pain level.

Please let us know how you are doing.

@lilbit .... sistersinhim is right that the normal indicator of arthrofibrosis is usually restricted joint mobility. When you bend your knee, it only goes so far and then you feel like you hit a "hard stop" with the bend. The list that Layla provided is older, but it's likely that you could find most of the surgeons there still in practice. But they are in the USA and you're in Canada. So that could be a problem for you.

Unfortunately your medical system doesn't lend itself to searching for surgeons and I have difficulty finding the names of good doctors there. But I do have a few and it might be worth it to give one or more a call to discuss your case. Best of luck to you and let us know how you get along.

Toronto, Canada

Revision surgeons for hips and knees:

Dr. Jeffrey Gollish
Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre - Holland Orthopaedic & Arthritic Centre
43 Wellesley St. E., Suite 315. Toronto, ON M4Y 1H1
(416) 967-8730

Dr. Markku Nousiainen
Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre - Holland Orthopaedic & Arthritic Centre
43 Wellesley St. E., Suite 315. Toronto, ON M4Y 1H1
(416) 967-8730
Recommended by Catirrusia (THR)
Phone: 519-661-2111 x34477

Ontario, Canada
Dr. Richard W. McCalden

London Health Sciences Centre
Western University
London, Ontario, Canada
Speaker at 2018 ICJR workshop on problem hips and knees
Recommended by Randi who had a knee revision.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
GardenGram
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom