TKR New Year, New Knee - Jan. 3, 2017<

I’m glad you have confidence in your TKR recovery even with a bit of discomfort. I had pain when walking or standing until I started a walking regimen 2 years ago. Now I walk with no pain in my TKR at all. I’m not an exercise fanatic, but walking has definitely helped my TKR.

It sounds like things are continuing to go well for you, especially with your new exercise protocol. Hope the injections continue to give you enough relief to delay the right's replacement. Hugs to that little fellow!!

Good news... I’ve really felt like I’ve been moving right along since adding the senior strength classes each week. So much so, I started helping trim outside for hubby and was riding 2 days a week. This week I rode 3 days!

However, now I have the good and bad. The good? “It could have been a whole lot worse!” And... I protected my knees and neither one of them hit the ground. :) :-) (:

I was riding my horse at some friends house and went to canter and he went into a full-fledge bucking situation! I rode out like 6 of them, but knew I was losing my balance and couldn’t get him to stop so I concentrated on getting close to the ground, clearing him and not hurting my knees (especially my bionic guy). I ended up spending 3 nights in the hospital to get the pain managed and make sure my internal blood from a gigantic hematoma had stopped. The hematoma is on my left hip/flank/fanny and I’ve broken 6 ribs on the left (I fractured 3 ribs, on the left, 5 years ago, but these are different ones) . They were all in alignment so it’s just a healing process. I’m on the recliner for the night and going forward. That rolling into bed and out was the most painful so I’m giving that up lol! Last time, 3 ribs took me over 3 months to heal so I’m taking this 1 day at a time and not expecting much for at least 6 weeks. My patience panties are on!
And yes, I’m making sure to do my breathing exercises to avoid pneumonia. :)

Oh my, I’m so sorry! I’m glad you weren’t hurt even worse, but wow, you’ve got a bunch of injuries! :console2: Yay for managing to protect your knees!

Do you know what upset your horse?

I watched my daughter slide off a horse once. The pasture was close to a country road and a truck went by and must have spooked the horse and his movements unseated her. She hung on as she slid off to the side and then she finally let go and dropped to the ground as he was still moving. She did not land on her feet, but she was ok. There was nothing I could do from where I was, not that I had any experience with horses anyway. She was either high school age or early college, I can’t remember.

Take care! :console2:

Yikes! That had to be so frightening … and now the aftermath of healing. My biggest fear since my hips and knees was a fall. Covered that one 2 years ago when hiking. It is amazing you were able to "save" your knees from impact - I have visions of a graceful gymnastics move executed with a score of 10 that saved them! Thank good ness for the option of a recliner. Good luck with those ribs.

Bless your heart! Praise God it wasn't worse than it was. I know you are one sore puppy! You will be getting lots of prayers from your BS friends! I'm like Jockette, do you know what spooked your horse?

@Jockette and @sistersinhim I had trailered for the first time this year, he was excited from that, from being in a new environment, from playing with the cows... if I was going to canter, I could have gotten off him and lunged him first to make sure he didn’t have any silliness in him etc but I didn’t. I think he had some built up energies going on, he is only 10 and that is still young. All I know is, it took me a long time to get back on and ride confidently after the 3 ribs due to the painful recovery and after the knee due to fear of hurting the knee if I fell so... I’m not 100% of my future with horses. I’ll come to that road when I get there.

3rd Year Anniversary - LTKR Hi Everyone!

My update is just about a repeat of my 2nd year anniversary update. :)

This past year knocked me down a notch when I took the spill from my horse in June. I still thank God my knee was spared any damage. Heck, I'm thankful a lot of me was spared.

What I recently had to deal with was apparently a small tear of my hamstring, near where it attaches below the knee. Of course, it was on my TKR (inside area). That has taken the last 8 weeks or so to get better and I'm just starting to strengthen the hamstring again. When I went to my OS for Orthovisc injections into the right knee, I asked for a cortisone shot in the left "bursa" - near where that hamstring attached. Of course he said it would get worse before it got better for about 5 days and he was spot on.

The scar tissue inside is still bothersome. The scar tissue creates the inflammation I feel daily when I'm walking or standing and the inflammation sits in my Bakers cyst. I have less range of motion than with my right, natural knee.

I am still active and can get around well. I have tight/sore calves everyday and again, it has to do with the hamstrings (both legs), and I feel my legs are kept quite stretched during my 3 day/week gym visits. I believe it's my whole stance that creates the soreness. Recently, my chiropractor has ordered "stabilizer" orthotics that I'm going to try out. Maybe I'll be quite surprised and find out my knees aren't the culprits in this story. :heehee:

I can't say my TKR feels better than my natural knee all the time, but there are definitely times when it does! And I know the TKR joint is stronger than my arthritic natural knee.

Life goes on and I'm grateful for my health.

Always great to hear from you! I’m sorry you’ve had some new challenges.

Things are pretty much the same for me, although I have seen an increase in ROM as I’m finishing up my third year post op.
:happy-new-year-smiley-emoticon-4:

So good to hear from you. Man, it's so hard to believe it has been three years. Time sure does fly.

I hope you find the orthotics work much better than you expected!

I'm glad you weren't injured anymore than you were from your horse fall. It could have been so much worse.

My knee is also about the same, not great, but better. That was my goal!

Any update yet on how you are doing with the new orthotics? I certainly hope your horse is being kinder to you of late! You mentioned your stance as perhaps being part of the problem... amt chances a good pt could take a look at that? I recall mine at one point asked me to stand up straight. What I thought was straight... well, she had me make a lot of adjustments to my not-so-straight which helped tremendously.

2021 4th year update, just a couple of months delayed. So, I can pretty much say, I'm in the same boat as I was in for all of 2020 and if anything, I think I may have a little less ROM in my TKR but I have enough to function and take stairs normally, etc. But if that step is too steep, I must go sideways, as it won't bend enough. The "pes anserine bursitis" is a pain for me. When I'm outside, at a store or if I'm vacuuming or doing a lot inside, I have on my knee compression straps in place. They help. They are always on my legs (down at my ankles lol, so I can pull them up when needed). When I go to my OS and get the orthovisc shots in my natural knee, I aways ask him to give me cortisone in that bursitis.

I get the gel shots on my right knee about every 8 months right now and they are keeping the severe bone/bone pain away - I just deal with inflammation pain on a daily basis in both knees. BUT, I do what I need to do, life goes on, and I'm grateful to be healthy - even if I do have osteoarthritis in way too many places in my body. I haven't been on Bonesmart since last year but thought I would update my history.

Hope those that know me and that I came to know are doing well. To those out there new to a replacement or thinking about it - I have had issues, BUT - the bionic joint in my knee causes me no issues and it's nice to have NO bone pain in the knee. My issues all deal with scar tissue and inflammation (which hides itself in my Baker's cysts) - Dr looks at my knees and thinks they look great.

Hi! It‘s always nice to catch up with you! :wave:

I’m not much better off, in general, either, but I’m managing. I did a 4 year update on my thread a couple of weeks ago. We do what we have to, when no one really knows what’s wrong. I’m happy I’m doing as well as I am!

Good to hear from you @jaschembra . I am glad you are comfortable with your knee function. I hope they can come up with some better assist for the cysts and the bursitis - so frustrating.

How great to hear from you! Are you still riding your horses? It looks like you might have a little one with you on the back of one. I remember you were so looking forward to getting back on one. I've not attempted to ride since my replacement. The old body has aches everywhere and the old knee would throw a fit.

My TKR knee isn't pain-free either, but it is better than that grinding bone-on-bone pain. I was told to not expect to be pain-free because of my history, that the soft tissues would fuss at times, and they do. Still, I'm better.

I occasionally suffer from pes anserine bursitis in my new knee, also. What kind of compression do you use? I went for ultrasound treatments about three years ago that helped tremendously. I have decided to buy an ultrasound machine if it gets bad again. That's a lot cheaper than therapy!

@sistersinhim Oh, I haven’t ridden for a long time. My knee would act up and I was wearing a protective vest because I didn’t want to fall and break ribs ever again! So, I have a friend that rides my horse several times a week- she’s an excellent ride, loves it, so it’s a win win for both of us. I enjoy watching. You asked - The knee compression sleeve I wear were bought on Amazon and they are the best I’ve ever worn. And they were the cheapest and are lasting. I wear them every day. Crucial Compression is the brand. Next time I go to my OS I’m going to ask for an X-ray just because it’s been a long time and because there is such discomfort every day, without having done anything. But life must go on. :)

Oh, I am so sorry you are riding anymore. I was hoping you were back to normal riding that horse every day. You have a good friend that is keeping him exercised and you are enjoying watching!

I understand about not wanting to break any more ribs. I fell off of my bike when I hit some rocks and cracked a couple of them back in December. Man, it hurt to even breathe. I couldn't get comfortable in bed to get any good sleep. It was a pain for about a month.

Thanks for the information about the sleeve. I'm going to check it out.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom