TKR New Year, New Knee - Jan. 3, 2017<

@jaschembra - We have so much in common besides our surgery date! ! I, too, am down to using Tylenol for Arthritis (2x650 mg) before bed and Tylenol extra strength (during the day) for pain. And I have hiking (trekking) pokes for walking, which I find helps me walk with a more normal gate. As for antibiotics before dental work, I checked with both my OS and my GP and both said the Canadian Dental Association has declared that antibiotics are not necessary. However, if I were in your shoes - with a wee problem with your incision - I'd probably take one too! That's a drag about not being able to use the pool. We have one in our condo building, but I haven't started using it yet. I will soon, though! I was happy to read that all went well with your daughter's wedding, including your knees! What shoes did you end up wearing? I'm looking forward to dancing - and margaritas!) again soon! My husband and are are going to the opera Tosca) on Sunday afternoon. We went to one a couple of weeks ago, but my knee got sore. Luckily, I have an aisle seat so I can stretch it out! I, too, need to have my arthritic right knee replaced - probably next year. Sometimes I wish I'd had bilateral. My Dad did - years ago - and he recovered quickly! All the best, Judy

That's a fast response! Makes you think you hit the jackpot!

You are so blessed to have a doctor that responded so quickly. There are so many that don't have doctors as caring.

Had my dental appointment and they gave me 2,000 mg of amoxicillin before my appointment

Then I had my gynecologist appointment and he looked at my red spot - squeezed it slightly and it popped (kinda like a pimple). A tiny speck of blood followed the white. When he wiped it, I said look for a stitch! I don't know if there was one or not. I put neosporin back on with the clean bandaid. Doesn't look worse and maybe less red.

Glad those appointments are complete!

I'm glad your appointments are over with and you doc got the stitch out, hopefully!

So, this morning, my little red halo area seems to be less or gone, but where the stitch is, it seems a darker red (maybe because there isn't white fluid under the spot any longer) and I'm pretty sure I can see the stitch.

It wasn't even 8 a.m. yet and my OS office has called me to see how the area looks. I told her about the gynecologist popping it yesterday with the junk that came out and she asked that I come in today so my OS can take a look at it. She said, better he look at it than to have you fret over it. I totally agree!!!

@Josephine are antibiotics "typically" prescribed for a simple suture abscess?

Be sure and let us know what your OS says.

@Josephine are antibiotics "typically" prescribed for a simple suture abscess?
Leave it to your OS to decide.

Josephine has had surgery on her shoulder and is recuperating. She will be away from BoneSmart for a little while.

Hi @Celle I did forget that Josephine had her surgery. Yes, my OS said if it becomes more red or inflamed looking, he can get me on some antibiotics but he didn't feel it was necessary at this point.

My visit to the OS today - its kinda like the suture has "chilled out". Either from - puss being squeezed out yesterday by the gynecologist, taking 2,000 mg of amoxicillin at the dentist yesterday or the neosporin being on it! I no longer can see what looked like the stitch I could see this morning. It's still red right at the spot but the halo of redness is gone. The OS didn't have anything come out when he squeezed it. He said it was best not to go in looking for the stitch and to let it resolve on its own (I was totally for that - leaving it alone!!) If I start seeing/feeling little white prickly things, I'm supposed to come back in and he'll pull it out. Otherwise he said it's still a possibility that it will dissolve on its own. He thinks it is probably the knot. He told me not to shave the area and no pool until it is completely resolved - out and healed or not red anymore.

All good advice from your surgeon! Keep it clean and dry and don't fiddle with it. That's the way to go.

IMG_2624.JPG Question - where the circle is, do I need to stretch my IT band in order to help with the discomfort in this area? It is also the area that swells the most when I'm up and about. I have a lingering memory of one day, about 2 1/2 months ago, during PT when he had me attempt a bridge and something in that circled area felt like Velcro had ripped (that's the only way I can describe it) - of course, we stopped then and there and never did those again. I just hope I didn't tear anything and if I did, I would know it right? My OS had told me the IT band attaches near the arrow area (because I thought I had maybe done something to where it attached). Thank you
- I never know if you should do the thumbnail or full image
(Excuse nubs lol - haven't shaved since the suture abscess - it was at the end near my shin)

Last edited by a moderator:
@jaschembra - I have continuing pain in exactly the same spot as you. It's been there since my surgery on Jan. 3 and I'm sure has had a big effect on keeping my flexion from going much beyond 110. It hurts when I'm on the recumbent bike and when I walk very far. I am seeing my own, gentle physiotherapist once a week (I don't go back to see my OS until next January.) She is pretty sure my IT band is continuing to cause me grief, as well as some nerves in that area that were involved in my operation. I have decided to keep going to my PT for another four to six weeks and keep exercising and rehabbing myself with cycling, walking with my trekking poles and using the pool in our building. I hope we are both totally back to "normal" very soon...in time to have our other knees replaced in the next year or two!!

@Knees4Me :) yep, the circle area swells - unless it's my heavy fluid filled thighs hanging down! Don't you love trekking poles. I've never had them until recently. I just knew they would help me walking outside in the yard - going up and down our slope to the chicken house (my whole walk only to gather 1-2 eggs! Slackers!!). The first day I used them I felt my gait was so much better.

I can't get in the pool yet. I have a pin hole where I had the suture abscess and until that is gone I'm not risking anything.

Awe! Right knee... my original plan was to feel recovered enough and well enough to do it in June. Well, there is no way in this world I would be doing it yet. Too much discomfort - I need to be assured that my OS and implant (porous) will be the route I take next time :) Also, there are too many chores for my hubby during the summer and I want to pick veggies in our garden... so - I'm hoping for Jan. 2018. Same as you - my next OS follow up is the 1 year.

Thanks knee-twin! Here's to looking forward to more recovery time! :cheers:

I feel pretty tight in that spot when I stretch for Flexion. Not sure what it is. When I do it band stretches, I feel those closer to my hip.

@jaschembra - Yes, trekking poles really help make my gait more normal. Much more so than a cane, which tends to make me limp - a habit I developed about a year before my arthritic knee was replaced. I, too, thought I'd have my right knee replaced in June - next month! But, like you, there's no way I'm ready. I want my left knee to be fully functional first. I think it'll take the full year until I'm happy with it. Also, my OS says she's already booked solid for surgery in 2017! So I'll have to start the process all over again. For me, January is a good time to have TKR surgery because of the cold weather here. I basically missed winter this year, except for going out to PT - to be tortured (haha!) I might do physio differently next time. It's so interesting about your rural life with chickens ( fresh eggs - however few from your lazy hens! :yes:) We have a very urban life here, especially since we sold our house last year and moved to a condo. There's a long, deep ravine at the edge of our property with hiking and cycling paths that's also full of wildlife like raccoons, rabbits and coyotes. But no more garden, fresh herbs and veggies for us! :sigh: However, we do like it here (great gym and pool) and we have a great farmers' market just down the road. Keep in touch! Judy

Hi @jaschembra! I haven't been on here for a while due to "life"! I do check on your posts every so often though and like to keep track of how you're doing! I'm happy to see the progress you've made and I'm sure you are too! Keep up the great work and I'll try to drop by to say Howdy again soon!!

Laura [emoji7]

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

Just past 19 weeks and I had my most normal day yesterday. My total steps ended up at 6,200 (and during those steps, I had 2 long icing sessions and several elevation sessions - I don't expect these to end any time soon and I'm okay with that). I had no additional swelling than normal. I picked my horses hooves for the 1st time since Jan. 2! I did choose not to help hubby take the horses out to pasture grass as I knew that would put me over the edge as I was done walking for the day. And the best part of it all... I slept great AND I awoke taking my first steps and my knee felt the best it has felt during those first morning steps. That is the only time I use the cane - those first 10 steps or so.

There have been improvements every single week. I'm looking forward to seeing even more!
Last night, I wasn't rubbing my left "bionic" knee, I was rubbing my right sore arthritic knee!!

Yay! Great report and how wonderful to have a mostly normal day!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom