TKR New Year, New Knee - Jan. 3, 2017<

None at all.

The tightness, stiffness and grip are all manifestations of pain. Along with any soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching and swelling. How much Tylenol are you taking and how often? I've always recommended 1,000mgs 4 times a day which is every 6 hours. That should help manage those pains more effectively. Plus those odd doses of Tramadol you spoke of, of course!

@Josephine , I take arthritis tylenol at 7a.m. 1,300 mg (lasts 8 hours); I take extra strength tylenol, 1,000 mg around 2pm and I take another round of arthritis tylenol 1,300 mg at 8:30 p.m. (and I am fortunate to sleep from 10pm to 5:30 am only awakening as I roll over)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @jaschembra! Happy 11 weeks anniversary! Isn't it amazing how time flies? Glad you are doing better and finally feeling comfortable at night! I started sleeping in our bed again about a week ago but a few times have wound up on the couch during the middle of the night. Seems as though shortly after I lie down in bed my knee starts acting up. I usually end up tossing and turning a lot. Can't say it's really pain but more like restlessness or an achy feeling. I find myself stretching my leg often. And I too have been able to lie on my side with a pillow in between my knees (I last longer on my non-surgurical side though). Because of this, I still have trouble falling asleep but have found if I take 1 Tylenol pm and 1 plain Tylenol it helps me. I know that's not a good habit to get into though.

During the day I don't think about my new knee too much; it just seems natural and a part of me however, I do have a hard time getting up after I've been sitting for several minutes. That still hurts and I wonder if it will ever go away.

How's your weather been? Have you been able to get out for any walks?

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

I, too, take the 1 PM Tylenol and 1 extra strength Tylenol at night when I've had a busy day. I've always had to move my knees at night for over 25 years and still do. This regiment helps both of my knees do better through the night. Sleeping on my sides was a huge improvement in being able to sleep! I'm a little stiff first thing when getting up, but no pain except in the old knee! That discomfort of yours will go away, too.

Oh my gosh, isn't it wonderful when that achy bone pain starts to leave? I still get a hint of it now, but it no longer is bad enough for me to take a pain pill, or wake (and keep) me up at night anymore! You are right about where I was when the 'grip' started letting up occasionally - very rarely all at once, but it would feel like it was moving around - upper lateral one day, then lower medial the next day. All very interesting feelings, but it was comforting to know it was moving around and that it *could* at least let up!

I've not had any trouble sleeping on my side (and I pretty much have to bend my legs) - except that if I lift one of my legs up like that, (for instance, if I need to turn) I sometimes will have enough laxity in my ligaments that when I put it back down, I can hear the metal implant click against the plastic insert as it comes back together. It freaks me out a little, but I know my joints are pretty lax, and I figure it's probably just how I function. For all I know, it was normal for me before, but I just couldn't tell b/c of cartilage being soft!

I have had days where my straightening isn't as great, and my flexion is more difficult - they seem to vary, and do not seem to be progressive, so I just do what I do with everything that 'pops up' now - wait to see if it will change :yes:

So glad you are making progress and beginning to see and feel it tangibly. It really is quite encouraging! Hopefully with this much progress, your horse will no longer feel the need to show you it's backside! :horseriding:

@L.I.T I needed a like button and a funny button. Got to sit down there today and watch my sedated, drunk looking horse get his teeth floated. Makes my teeth hurt just watching.
I know what you mean about feeling the clunk when rolling over.

Clunk clunk here too! Sounds like a good week for you. Trail rode for three hours today. Paying for it now. Haven't seen Tramadol in weeks but...... I too love watching the equine dentist do his work!

@Grammy211 not much walking for leisure as I seem to get enough in while I'm up and about.
I too find myself waking up or I'm awake when it happens - but I'll stretch my leg out - that is a strange sensation all the way around the knee! I always think at that point - oh gosh, I hope I don't get a cramp in my leg!

Well, bridal shower 2 is now complete! No more customary things to attend until the rehearsal and wedding (oh, except the bridal meeting at the venue). Icing and elevating!!! Woke up with swelling I don't usually have unless I've been up and about - I must have been walking in my dreams.
:egypdance:

I'm so glad you're going to be able to enjoy the wedding!

Too bad we can't shed pounds in our dreams! :sleep: Your dreams must really be vivid if you woke up swollen!

Ha, ha @sistersinhim! It would be fantabulous to shed pounds in our dreams!!

@KarriB I will enjoy the wedding; however, the natural knee is now giving me the good ole bone pain that I have had (both knees were equally bad, the right actually has more bone/bone). I'm sure it's because I'm up moving more now. The only good thing about that - it distracts me away from any discomfort I'm still feeling from the LTKR :) Caught myself at the shower yesterday, rubbing my natural knee ha! ha! It was hurting and the bionic knee was not. That's a yea!

When my left knee started hurting more I thought the same, I've become more active. Also, the pain meds I had been taking not only masked the TKR pain, but also some of the bone on bone pain from my left natural knee. Eventually the TKR took on more work and the natural less. It's going to need done in the next year though.

@jaschembra I have found that my first replaced knee (left, 2013) hurts more than my new baby knee especially the past month or so! It seemed strange to me but then it just made me realize that I'm not thinking about my new knee as much and that's a great feeling!

I often find myself rubbing my new knee even if it's not hurting; guess old habits are hard to break! When I realize what I'm doing I try to turn it into a knee massage which my knee always welcomes!

My old knee, also was hurting a lot more, the more active I got. But, now that the new knee is taking on so much more of the work, my left has gotten better! What a blessing it will be if I don't have to have it replaced, too! I bet as your new knee heals, your old knee will be getting better, too!

Thanks for the info on those old natural knees. This is what my OS said as well.

The knee I had replaced in 2009 hurts more now than my new knee glad it's just not me.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

@boxerlover I see that we are knee twins! I'm sorry you're feeling that old-new knee already and it looks like that partial didn't last too long :( I hope your new 2017 knee is feeling better (we're nearing 12 weeks!) and that it lasts a long long time.

@jaschembra we are knee twins I've been reading your thread you seem way ahead of me I still have to use a stick I don't know if it's because I only had surgery 2 years ago it just seems more of a struggle this time. It was a shock my partial didn't last very long but hopefully I will get there [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom