TKR New to TKR world

5531stuart

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi, im now 11 days post LTKR. Been nosing around the forum and got some excellent info. Been through the ' why did i do this ' to days full of pain. Got lots of questions id like to ask, and im sure i ll get answers on here.

Welcome to BoneSmart! Let the Moderators know the exact date of your surgery and they'll send you lots of useful information. Glad you found this site!

Hi and Welcome!

Yes, please tell us your surgery date and which leg it is, and we’ll put it in a signature for you.

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery. They might just answer your questions and if not, just ask.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Hi left TKR on 2nd march 2020 in Scotland, had a good day yesterday but a world of pain today after a restless night. Some great info on here, thanks folks.

Can anyone give me a guideline regarding putting weight on the new knee please? Im now 12 days post op, should i be walking on it with crutches while putting some weight on it etc, i dont want to push to early but also dont want to be sitting about thinking all is ok. Any help appreciated.

Gentle walking to and from lounge /kitchen bedoom with the aid of crutches /walker is recommended and good for you it keeps your joints flexible as soon as you feel confident you can progress to 1 crutch - look online for videos on walking with a crutch. I used elbow crutches.
I was only discharged from hospital once I proved I could manage 2 flights of stairs going up & down and 600mts of corridor and was told to walk slowly around the house with plenty of rest ice & elevation.

Hi Sara61, thanks for getting back to me, like yourself i was assessed in hospital before being sent home. It s elbow crutches i have also, biggest fear ive got is putting too much weight on the knee if its too early. Im managing the stairs at home no problem and getting about ok. Ive hobbled about for years so trusting the new knee is going to be more mental than physical i think.

In my pre op class I was told not to be afraid of standing on the new knee the first time, that it will be strong right away, so I had that confidence the first time I stood up, just a few hours after surgery, and each time after.
Ive hobbled about for years so trusting the new knee is going to be more mental than physical i think.
You’ll get there. Give yourself time.

I’m told by my surgeon no limitations. Call your surgeons office on Monday but you need to use it to help prevent blood clots.

I used a walker inside for a couple of weeks and outside for about a month. I also put weight on it as much as it tolerated. I let my knee always be my guide on what I could or couldn't do.

Hi, im now 18 days post op, doing ok i guess, biggest issue is shin pain, has anyone else suffered this ? Cant seem to get relief from it at all. Does it mean im doing to much?. Ive been moving around with one stick now for about a week or am i just expecting too much to soon.

Hi Stuart Shin pain is normal for the most of us, our knee(s) went through alot with this surgery so all sorts of healing is going on below @Celle will be able to explain this better.
When I suffered pain I found massaging my leg with a little moisturiser or body lotion helped if all else fails take a paracetamol x
Movement (gentle ) is good for you dont be afraid of your new knee its tough and made to last but the tissue /nerves surrounding it need "time to heal" but soon you'll notice small improvements and pain will lessen - hang in there it will be get better - I'm proof of that xx

My OH has had shin pain too, and it seems quite common. Elevation seems to help him and I would give it a try. As Sara61 has said, gentle massage with an emollient cream is also helpful.

biggest fear ive got is putting too much weight on the knee if its too early
That knee replacement is strong and you won't do it any harm if you put full weight on it. Be guided by the amount of pain you feel, because initially you may not want to put full weight on it straight away. Just work up to it gradually.

Keep using both crutches until you find you're starting to leave them behind as you move around the house.

Oops, forgot you guys show month first, I'm actually almost 4 complete weeks in 2nd March. I'm off my crutches indoors but using one outdoors. Managed a full rotation on a static bike yesterday but feel the knee is very tight today so kept away from it. It's some journey mind you, some days not bad other days blue murder. I've still got shin pain but also get restless leg in the evening.

Hi folks, hope u are all doing well. Just a question to put out there if i may? Im about to begin week 6 after my left tkr, the hospital have just cancelled my 6 week appointment which i expected. What im wanting to ask is regarding stiffness after activity. Im off my crutches and able to walk upstairs foot over foot and can manage 2k on the static bike. Is that too much at my stage or just keep it up and ice regularly along with paracetemol. Sorry about the long winded post.

Yes, for just a month out you are doing too much and your knee is responding with increased swelling. This swelling is causing the stiffness that you are feeling. Definitely deep up with your icing. Also, elevate while you are icing. This will help the fluid to move down to your kidneys and then out of your body.

Your normal daily activities is all you need to be doing at your stage in recovery. All that bike riding is probably contributing to your swelling. Try cutting it in half and see if the stiffness goes down. It will take more than a few days to see any improvements, so give it a week or so with the less riding to see the results.

Doing too much too soon actually sets recovery back. Healing takes time...as much time as your knee wants! You can not speed up that healing but you can slow it down by doing too much.

Shin pain, also known as splints, is due to putting your toes down before your heel when walking.
Concentrate on walking smoothly and evenly, so the step on your new knee is very similar to your old one.
Most important is to heel and toe, not toe and then heel.
I had bad splints, but this sorted it out in just a couple of days.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Raithtaxi
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom