New to this/just diagnosed (sort of) Please comment...

lynneat

Country
United States United States
About 2 months ago, I got pain in my groin (inside and now in front). I saw an orthopedic doctor who did an xray and MRI. He said 'you have arthritis and need to see an orthopedic surgeon'. He did ask if the pain went down as far as my knee. I said no...however a day later the aching goes from the top of my groin to my ankle. Occasionally I get pain in the hip. Most bothersome is the aching in the thigh and down the leg and groin pain.
1. why did he ask if pain went down to the knee? I've called to ask. No reply yet.
2. He didn't say what kind of arthritis. Does it matter?
3. Yes I'm hitting 70 and do have arthritis but how do I know that is the cause?
(I'm picking up a cd of the MRI and report next week)
4. I'm more than concerned as I'm allergic to most all antibiotics so infection being possible with any surgery is scary for me. The center I'm going to doesn't have an infection disease control dept.
5. Am also wondering how well Tens etc. does for this major surgery as opioids cause severe constipation for me. I certainly won't be using much of these.
I appreciate any comments. I realize it's early in the game, but I wish I had looked on forums before my last surgical escapade. They got inconclusive biopsies, pet scan of 6 out of 10, so ASSUMED it was lymphoma in my sacrum...took the bone out with the tumor which has put me in chronic pain for life...found out it was Castlemans and I didn't need to lose the bone!! That was after 3 famous hospital/doc visits. So I trust forums now more than doctors. Too bad you all can't do the surgery for me! :)
Thank you.

I don't have much trust in Dr.s and or hospitals. I interview a Dr. as much as they examine me and I am not afraid to ask them hard questions. If I don't feel comfortable they are not touching me. That said you have to find someone you trust that answers your questions and has a staff that is the same. People can say what they want but in this country is you see a GP you get a prescription if you see a surgeon you get a surgery, words from my GP!
Hip pain radiates down your femur sometimes. My left would do it sometimes at the end of a work day the whole leg would hurt, but usually the pain stayed in the hip area. My right is completely different, it radiates to my foot and my thigh aches incredibly. My hip joints have been bad for over 50 years so the arthritis developed as well as the joint wearing out. Osteoarthritis from what I remember. The cause? I think it's got a lot to do with the date on our drivers license.

Groin pain was my only symptom with my first hip. My primary care treated me for a pulled groin muscle but it never got better. I all but begged for an X-ray. He agreed, called me and told me I needed to see the ortho surgeon. His first question: “how’s your groin”?

Have you scheduled an appointment with the surgeon? They will be able to answer all your questions.
I had no pain with my two hip replacements and that is more common than you know.

Hi, @lynneat....welcome to BoneSmart. I'm glad you found us and please know we're here to provide support for you and to help you make well-informed decisions about your hip that are right for you.

About 2 months ago, I got pain in my groin (inside and now in front). I saw an orthopedic doctor who did an xray and MRI. He said 'you have arthritis and need to see an orthopedic surgeon'. He did ask if the pain went down as far as my knee. I said no...however a day later the aching goes from the top of my groin to my ankle. Occasionally I get pain in the hip. Most bothersome is the aching in the thigh and down the leg and groin pain.
This doctor gave you good advice. You need to talk with an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in hip issues and does hip replacements. I'm assuming this orthopedic doctor told you this after viewing an x-ray of your hip. Correct? It's pretty easy to tell when a person has arthritis in their hip to the point that a hip replacement is needed. If you don't know a good hip surgeon, you can use our Joint Surgeon Locator to find doctors near you. Read about them on their websites and make appointments with a couple to talk with them about your hip. You are basically interviewing them to find out (1) if they are experienced and do a lot of hip replacements (150 or more a year) and (2) if they are a good "fit" for you and you trust them. I can also help you find a surgeon if you like. Just let me know you want my assistance by responding in a post and tagging me so I see it quickly. To tag someone, you type the "at" sign (@) followed by their username with no space like this @Jamie

why did he ask if pain went down to the knee? I've called to ask. No reply yet.
It is common for pain from a hip to travel to a number of locations. He may have asked about pain going from your hip to your knee to evaluate whether the problem was your hip or your spine (sciatic nerve). But it really doesn't matter. Looking at an x-ray of your hip will tell the story and this is why you need to see a hip surgeon for an expert opinion about what's going on.

He didn't say what kind of arthritis. Does it matter?
There are several types of arthritis. Normally hip problems are the result of osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis. But it doesn't really matter what type causes the loss of cartilage in a joint that creates the need for a joint replacement.

Yes I'm hitting 70 and do have arthritis but how do I know that is the cause?
Your surgeon will be able to tell you if arthritis has resulted in a deteriorated hip once he takes a look at your x-rays.

I'm more than concerned as I'm allergic to most all antibiotics so infection being possible with any surgery is scary for me. The center I'm going to doesn't have an infection disease control dept.
Not all hospitals have infectious disease departments and even though you have allergies to some antibiotics, that should not be an issue for any surgery you may need. The chances of infection with joint surgery is very small. The important thing to do would be to check your hospital's infection rate and to discuss your concerns with any orthopedic surgeons you see. Believe me, a good surgeon is going to be just as concerned about keeping you safe from infection as you are.

Am also wondering how well Tens etc. does for this major surgery as opioids cause severe constipation for me. I certainly won't be using much of these.
Just about everyone has constipation issues when they take opioid pain medications. But there are many things that can be done both pre- and pos-op to make sure this is not a problem for you. Today surgeons use many options for good pain management so it's not always a given that you'll be sent home with prescription pain meds. A TENS machine can be helpful with recovery, but it's not something you would use immediately after surgery. It might be helpful if you read our special section on Pain Management (tab at the top of the page). Let us know if you have any questions after reviewing that material.

So I trust forums now more than doctors.
While we love to hear that people trust BoneSmart, we also want to help you find a surgeon you can also put your trust and faith in. I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with a previous surgery. We will do everything possible to make sure you have a more successful experience getting your hip pain resolved.

Here is some other helpful information for you. Please spend some time reading here on the fourm and feel free to post whatever concerns or questions you have. We'll help you become an informed patient so you can partner with a great surgeon if hip surgery is what is needed.

New BoneSmart members like you are in various stages of their journey to joint replacement. Making the decision whether or not to have surgery and preparing for surgery can be easier once you have done your research and know what lies ahead. Here are some tools that can help you decide what is best for you.

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:

Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic hip?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:

Stories of amazing hip recoveries

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks