BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

New to this hip pain journey

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by kernsac, Sep 14, 2018.

1. kernsac

kernsac new member

United States United States
    Hi, all. I hope I'm doing this right. :)

I've been suffering with osteoarthritis in my hips for about a year and a half, and over that time, I've watched my mobility and range of movement continue to decrease, despite physical therapy, antiinflammatory medication, and a recent cortisone shot, none of which have given long-term relief.

So I'm beginning to think that some kind of hip surgery may be in my future and will ask for a referral for an orthopedic evaluation once the three months have passed since my cortisone shot.

To add to the "fun" and "adventure" of my hip journey, I'm also totally blind, so I'm especially eager to do what I need to do to keep myself mobile in as safe a way as I can. Looking forward to learning from you all, as well as from the wonderful resources on this site.

Peggy

2. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @kernsac Welcome to BoneSmart! You certainly have some challenges! Sounds like you have already explored every other treatment to try and address your hip problems. THR will make all the difference in the world. All that hip pain gone!

Please let us know if there is anything here we need to do to make it easier for you to use BoneSmart. I look forward to following your journey.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    You don't need to wait until then to see the surgeon, just for the surgery!

I'm going to add a form to my post. I hope you will be able to access it. You'll need to print it off. It's a questionnaire and will tell you how bad your quality of life is and whether you need a hip replacement.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi Peggy. Welcome to the forum.
    Interested to know how you access the site?
    I suffered with that terrible OA pain for years as I had some trouble getting diagnosis.
    Found that there was nothing to alleviate my discomfort but hip surgery which was certainly a shock to me.
    Lots of good advice on this forum and it was a great recovery tool for me.
    You will have an even more challenging journey I would imagine but you sound strong and if THR is the plan, getting through the recovery is alot easier than managing with bad hips!
    Wishing you all the best!

• Like Like x 1
  5. EL11

EL11 member

@kernsac /Peggy, you seem like an extraordinary person with a great attitude. I am so happy that you came to this forum. There are lots of good people and excellent resources here.

Your osteoarthritis progression is similar to my own, though I've been limping on and off for many years. Physical therapy only helped for a while, and the therapist almost yelled at me when I was doing my third go-round in a year's time, to see the orthopedic surgeon she said was the best here in Worcester, MA (I'd already gotten x-rays and my PCP said he'd be shocked if I didn't need a THR on both sides soon, but I was kind of in denial).

I asked for cortisone injections to tide me over till my first surgery, which was July 30th, and for me personally those injections were way more traumatic than the surgery, complete with involuntary screaming expletives.

The surgery took 90 minutes. I was home the next day, on a walker for 3 days, crutches for a week or so, then one crutch, and at week 6 I was walking unaided.

There has been pain, of course, but it has a different quality from the burning arthritis pain, for me more tolerable by far. My sleep has been broken up every night by waking up achy, I'd readjust, get the foam wedge to put under my legs, get the ice pillow from a cooler beside the bed ... Last night I woke up fewer times and it wasn't as bad, and I got in a full 8 hours of sleep, a milestone just two days before my second surgery.

I am so grateful for the gift of a future that includes real exercise again, long walks. I'm eager to hear about your next steps.

• Like Like x 2
  6. kernsac

kernsac new member

Okay, let's see if I can reply on this thread. <lol> Thank you all so much for the welcome. I access the site with a screen reading program that speaks what is on the screen, so I'm still getting used to how things are laid out. I'm beginning to wonder if I shouldn't go ahead and ask for a referral to an orthopedic surgeon, even though they can't do anything until after 3 months from my cortisone shot, which will be November 21. They will probably want to do tests and evaluations anyway, just to get more information than what the X-rays showed. The one thing I've noticed about myself, is that I'm so good at adapting to situations, probably because I've had to as a blind person, that I've barely been aware how I have been getting more and more immobile. And I never thought of my quality of life as being diminished, because I still love life as much as I always have. But when I think about having to sleep in a body pillow, in a different bed from my husband, how walking is painful, especially later in the day, how I can't exercise as vigorously as I like to, I realize something needs to be done. I'm thinking my hip issues must be a family thing, because my twin brother had a double hip replacement a couple years ago, and I believe our father had hip replacements over his lifetime. So it will be interesting to see what my next step will be.

• Like Like x 1
  7. InkedMarie

InkedMarie senior

Hi @kernsac ! I agree with making an ortho appointment as they could be months out as far as when surgery can be done. Get your ducks in a row, so to speak

8. Knitquilt

Knitquilt member

I’m going to echo @InkedMarie You should definitely make an appointment with a surgeon now. It took me 3 months to get the evaluation appt., then surgery was scheduled 3 months from then - total 6 month waiting for me.
    Arthritis runs in my family, also. In fact, my mother recuperated from a double hip replacement 25 years ago in my dining room. We shoved the table out of the way and brought in a hospital bed!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Toddlermom

Toddlermom graduate

@kernsac
    Welcome!!!Go ahead and start the referral process now. It might take many weeks to book a surgery, and you could schedule it for November 21st and minimize the impact of a bum hip. On my last hip, the final 4 weeks were difficult. Anything that you can do to minimize that period is wonderful. In my experience, once you finally make the decision.....the world is trying to catch up with your choice! And they aren’t very quick about getting the job done. Good luck!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I, like your twin brother, had bilateral hip replacement and it has improved every aspect of my health.
    The sleep deprivation was causing me to feel ill...physically and emotionally.
    You don't sound like someone who lets restrictions hold you back from life, but no-one deserves to live in pain when there is a solution.
    Hope today is a Good Day!