THR New to the group...

I am really happy I waited till after my surgery to watch.

For sure. I was horrified. Explained the bruises though.

Hi @kenadle
I just had to remind myself often -

Tightness is a normal occurrence after this kind of major surgery. Your surgeon did major carpentry work and disturbed every millimeter of soft tissue in this area.

You aren't tight because your muscle is underused and needs to be stretched and rehabbed. Athough, Easy Does It stretching is helpful in the mornings after all has stiffened back up.

You're tight because your tissue is healing... If a long full step right now is causing pain and limping, don't take long full steps. Take smaller steps. Take a short walk several times a day, instead of longer walks. Use your cane when you feel you need to. Keep on icing. Rest a lot.

This isn't the time to do anything to excess. Baby steps now, and lots of patience, pays off big time later. Recovering from self-induced tendinitis can end up taking weeks or months.

Consider yourself as still recovering from surgery and structure your return to your life as a slow, gradual process where you introduce very small increments in activity, and then give yourself time to see how you react to it.

All temporary, and worth the patience. I am certainly glad I am able to get back to a full happy life.

I am now almost 6 weeks post Right THR. I am for the most part feeling really good. I am finding however that after a few days of feeling great... I almost always take a few steps backwards. I have had issues with my right thigh tightness. Finally after a week or so.... it stopped bothering me. I thought great... I am done with that... Not the case. A few days later I started to feel the tightness again. Also I was feeling really uncomfortable on arising. Almost had to use my walker for a little while until the Tylenol kicked in. Then finally feeling that was clearing up and after a few days.. that is bothering me again
After being up for a while and moving around aches settle down. I don't know whether this has something to do with me doing more the days prior. In most cases I am increasing my steps and independence just doing normal stuff. Yesterday was the first day I went out on my own and did multiple errands. Usually my husband is with me and I am only good for one errand.

Anyway just thought I would share this experience and see if anyone else has noticed anything similar.

Kenadle

Good Morning and Happy Monday :wave:
I think what you’re experiencing is all part of the healing process and also a result of your activity level. The stiffness is inflammation and icing / elevating will help with the swelling and any physical discomfort you’re feeling. At only six weeks post op, even though you’re feeling pretty good for the most part, it’s still early days in the whole scheme of things. I’m sure this will ease with the passing of time and ongoing healing.
Have a wonderful week!
@kenadle

Went to PT the other day. Therapist gave me four new exercises. The exercises given right after surgery have gotten too easy and I did not feel any stretch or benefit any more. So therapist said not to do anymore. Three of the new exercises were doable without pain.... just stretching. The fourth one I felt pain immediately in my groin area. Stupid me.. continued through the pain for a few leg lifts.

Lesson learned... If it hurts. don't do it. I woke up in bed this morning with the worst pain in my groin area. After 2 Tylenol and some awake time I am feeling better.. still a little sore.

Won't do that again.

Therapist told me no bending past 90 degrees for 6 months. No twisting on operated side.. instead turn your whole body and no leg crossing. I thought these limitations were only for 6 weeks... not 6 months.

Finally realizing this is not a quick recovery.

Kenadle

Lesson learned... If it hurts. don't do it. I woke up in bed this morning with the worst pain in my groin area. After 2 Tylenol and some awake time I am feeling better.. still a little sore.

Won't do that again.
Good for you. You KNOW your body best.

Therapist told me no bending past 90 degrees for 6 months. No twisting on operated side.. instead turn your whole body and no leg crossing. I thought these limitations were only for 6 weeks... not 6 months.
This seems super conservative:unsure:...again, listen to your body.
Unless there was some major reconstructive work done or something anatomical that the Surgeon deems more risky for You...
Ice your groin and hip alot today.

I think it’s more important to consider your OS’s opinions on this, as opposed to the PT. Not all surgeons impose restrictions these days. For example, my surgeons care team only advised that I move slowly / thoughtfully and if anything hurts, STOP. Let your body be your guide, as you’re doing right now after accidentally straining your groin area yesterday. Wishing you comfort and speedy relief! :console2::ice:

I keep wondering why I feel so sore in thigh area when I get out of bed. I know I mentioned this before but still puzzled. I was having tightness in thigh area when walking all day.... thank goodness that has stopped.
First thing in the morning I take two Tylenol and within 1 hour thigh feels better and does not bother me for the rest of the day.

Am I expecting too much?? ( 6 weeks post op)

Hello and Happy Friday!
You could try stepping back from PT and exercises and see if you notice a difference. There would be no harm in trying this since walking, but not to excess, is all that’s really needed for recovery. That is unless you’re working on gait or something similar after a few months. Also, please don’t lose sight of all that happened beneath the surface and the healing that is taking place and will continue over the course of months. Hang in there, it does get better. Enjoy the weekend!
@kenadle

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
August it is
Recent bookmarks
Back