THR New to the group...

kenadle

Country
United States United States
I had right hip replacement on June 15, 2021. I am almost 5 weeks into recovery. I am walking in the house without a cane and when I go outside I use a cane for stability. I have never taken anything for pain other than Tylenol. I am still taking Tylenol three times a day and Meloxicam after dinner. My don't have pain but I do have much stiffness in the anterior thigh area. I have called the ortho hotline nurses and they said this was pretty much normal. I have an appointment with my surgeon on July 21 for post op.

My instructions say to walk 30 minutes 3 times a day and of course continue my exercises. I am finding walking that much difficult to do. I am wondering if anyone else is having this problem.

I do not sleep well.... I have just started to sleep on my sides with pillows. I find I am very restless at night and cannot stay in one position for long. I do not have pain at night.... but when I go to get up in the morning it is very stiff and painful. After 2 Tylenol and some time walking around supported by walker.... the pain and stiffness ease up.
I have spoken to a few other people who have had hip replacement and they seem to be "Good as New in 4 weeks". This makes me wonder why I still feel this way.

I also am hoping to go back to my work in a 3 month period. I work for the schools and walk and stand for 6 hours.
I am hoping to improve but right now it seems I am stuck in this part of recovery.

Came across this site and thought I would post and maybe get some insight into other peoples' recovery.

My instructions say to walk 30 minutes 3 times a day and of course continue my exercises. I am finding walking that much difficult to do. I am wondering if anyone else is having this problem.
Just walk the amount of time you find all right.
It's probably better to just walk a shorter time and distance, and cut it back to once or twice a day.
Don't forget that you're getting walking exercise as you move around the house, too.

As you'll see in our recovery guidelines, hips really don't need a lot of exercise to heal.

I do not sleep well.... I have just started to sleep on my sides with pillows. I find I am very restless at night and cannot stay in one position for long.
Sleep disturbance is a normal part of this recovery. It can take several months for your sleep patterns to return to normal. Meanwhile, take daytime naps to make up for sleep lost at night.

I have spoken to a few other people who have had hip replacement and they seem to be "Good as New in 4 weeks". This makes me wonder why I still feel this way.
They obviously don't really remember accurately.
Recovery from a joint replacement takes months, not weeks.
There's nothing wrong with the way you are recovering.

Here are our recovery guidelines to help you:
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

People are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for YOU.“ Your doctor(s), physiotherapist(s) and BoneSmart are here to help, but YOU are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Try to follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Thank you Celle for your words of encouragement and for your guidelines. I will continue to do what I can and try to increase walking and exercise as long as it is not painful. Good to know what I am feeling is normal and will improve. Kenadle

Hello, Welcome to BoneSmart! Thanks for joining us.
Happy One Month Anniversary, a day late. :) :-) (:

Consider shortening the daily walks, or not taking as many, finding a balance that doesn’t leave you feeling wiped out, or suffering discomfort afterward. With the normal activities of daily living, the exercises you’ve mentioned and the walking, its no wonder you’re finding the walks difficult.

Please try not to be affected by those who claim to have recovered within weeks. Those types are few and far between. It’s simply not realistic. If you read the threads of others here who experienced surgery around the time you did, you’ll probably realize you’re doing just fine. Here is a link to the June Sunbeams. You can use the SEARCH at the top right of the page to locate threads of those that are sharing their recovery journey here…if you’re interested.

Try to look back and reflect on your recovery weekly, or even bi-weekly, rather than daily and you’ll realize you are progressing as you should.

All the best as you continue your healing journey! :walking:
@kenadle

As we'll all say 5 weeks is very early on in your recovery. Really hard to compare timelines with others and even with my 2nd hip it was different. As far as stiffness goes I stll get it every morning when I get up but it fades after I get moving a little.

First night since the June 15…. I slept through for 6 hours. I could not believe it. It felt really good. I guess I just needed to hear that my not sleeping well was a normal part of recovery. No one told me this before surgery. I am learning many things I probably should have known before surgery.. now … from reading these threads and from knowledge of the moderators.
Now I have to work on patience…. Which I am not good at. My recovery depends on being forced to retire. Which I don’t want to do yet. I am required to stand and move for 6 hours a day at my job. Right now that does not seem possible. I am hoping that by the 3 month point I will be able to do so.
Trying to keep positive attitude.

Nothing like getting some restorative rest…and six hours straight, Woohoo! It’s seems the reassurance you received also provided some peace of mind. Patience can be hard to come by early on, but if you’ll look back on the week, each weekend, you’ll most likely notice the progress you’re making. Sleeping better, less pain / discomfort, feeling stronger and steadier on your feet, improved mood etc. It does get better and better.

You may be surprised at what you’re able to accomplish at three months post op. Rather than retire if you’re not ready, if you’re not feeling you can meet the physical demands of your position at work, it would be wonderful if you can reduce your hours, or days of the week you work. Time will tell, you may return and do just fine.
A great week to you!
@kenadle

Great idea Layla on the reducing work hours or days. In fact I have already mentioned this to my boss….. and she seemed open to it
I am noticing small changes happening. Today was the first day in a while my thigh has not felt all tight…. Not painful… just tight. Hoping it continues.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Kenadle

I am at 30 days since THR. My surgeon says that if you have a lot of pain you are doing way too much-this my fourth replacement and his advice, like BoneSmart’s, is wise. If you do too much you will swell and your recovery will take much longer.

This is your fourth replacement….. not just hip I hope.

This is your fourth replacement….. not just hip I hope.

Hi again,
Just a friendly FYI. I am wondering if you’re not seeing our members signatures underneath each of their posts on the bottom left.

For example LeeApril26’s shows as follows -

Right THR - June 18, 2021
Right TKR October 4, 2018
Left TKR May 10, 2017
Left THR April 26, 2013

If signatures are not showing on your screen, try rotating your device and see if it makes a difference.

I hope you sleep well tonight. :sleeep:

@LeeApril26 … I am sorry that you have had do endure 4 THR surgeries . I was curious if you could elaborate on why so many?
In my option you have a strong spirit , and the definition of a fighter . You have been thru a lot and I hope this surgery is the last.
Many of us hippies know all to well what you have managed to cope to get thru 4 surgeries. I have had 3 thr and I don’t even want to think about going thru another. one hip implant components would you believe is almost 24 years old and still ticking. They can last long term , I am one of the oldies that had my first hip surger at a young age for OA than most.
Many blessings sent your way that on this healing journey you will be given all that you need for a successful surgery.
Please keep us posted.

Last edited:
Oh, I’m sorry. I did not have four replacements on one hip. Sorry my joke was misleading.
I had first hip in 2013, knees in 2017 and 2018, And second hip on 6/18/21.

Went for 5 weeks post op visit with surgeon today. He said X-rays look good and everything is in place where it should be.
I did tell I am experiencing much soreness on arising in thigh area which is relieved with Tylenol. This happens every morning so far. I have also been feeling a tightness in this thigh area when I walk. This tightness went away for a few days but came back yesterday.
The doctor said the tight feeling could be because it may take a little longer for that stem part to heal. He said many people do not experience this feeling at all. He wants me to return in 6 weeks before I am hoping to return to work to see how I am doing.
He also recommended some physical therapy a few times a week.
Hopefully this tightness I am feeling will get better soon and will turn out to be just slower healing…and not a stem problem.

Wondering if anyone else has had this feeling happen to them?

kenadle

I am almost five weeks out and have the same feeling in my thigh. It is tight and tender. The surgeon reassured me that it was normal.

I was reading a post on someone having a sore knee after hip surgery. It was said they put your leg in many positions during surgery to test fit of implant. Got me to thinking!!!!!

Watched a video of hip replacement surgery on YouTube. Not for the faint of stomach! But really interesting to watch….. after you have had your procedure.

You are brave! I started watching the video before my first THR and quit. Ugh! Never finished it:)

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts