BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

[TKR] New to site! Misaligned left leg corrected. Hopefully right soon.

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by Lucy1, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Lucy1

Lucy1 new member

Canada Canada
    Hello, just new to site, but really need advice.

I had a TKR left leg over 2 years ago. I was knock kneed and the surgeon straightened the leg at the time.

I have struggled with my gait as my right leg is still in valgus. I have back pain, hip pain, foot pain and my left knee which was replaced almost hurts more than my right knee which is bone on bone and hopefully will be replaced soon. Going to the surgeon end of December and I must impress upon him how my lifestyle is curtailed as I cannot walk very far without pain.

Not even sure I will be able to do the physio as I have back problems which may be from the misaligned leg as well as arthritis in my back. I hope a right TKR will solve all sorts of problems.

Am I being unrealistic as my quality of life is not very good. I still struggle up and downstairs even after 2 years with my new left knee. Only time, I am not in pain is sitting. I feel I was put together with left over parts. Any encouragement would be appreciated. Almost think I was better off before the first TKR with two misaligned legs rather than one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Roy Gardiner

Roy Gardiner FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hello, welcome to BoneSmart.

It's normal to have 'adjustment pain' with a new knee, but 2 years is extreme. I'm also surprised that it's been left so long if your right needs TKR too; this might fix it - after another period of adjustment!

All I can think of is to get a 2nd opinion from another surgeon who has no connection to your original one, just to check what's going on.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Pumpkln

Pumpkln FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    You'll notice that I have moved your newest thread to the knee recovery forum. Were you will receive more replies from others with a similar challenge.
    For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
    • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
    • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
    • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
    So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
    If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
    How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

4. Lucy1

Lucy1 new member

Canada Canada
    Thank you for your quick response. I guess the wait has been partly my fault as I kept thinking things would get better. Wait times for a TKR in the area where I live are about a year, so I really don't want to go with another surgeon as the one I had with the first replacement has a very good reputation. Thank for replying.

5. Pumpkln

Pumpkln FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

@Lucy1 ,
    Have you had your leg length measured? Many of the symptoms you describe could be from a leg length difference (LLD).
    I agree with Roy, you should seek a second opinion, for your TKR, from a surgeon specializing in Revisions, they have the education and background to determine what is happening with troubled knees. Look for a surgeon specializing in complex joint reconstruction or revisions. They should have no relationship with your present OS, not even golf buddies.
    Suggest you pay out of pocket for a second opinion, for peace of mind that your present surgeon has not missed anything.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. rustic

rustic member

Since your left leg got effectively longer when they straightened it, maybe wearing a lift in the other shoe would help with some of the other pains (esp. the back pain). It would be temporary until you get the other leg fixed. Maybe your physical therapist, or your personal doctor (esp. if they are an OD), or your surgeon can give you suggestions on how big of a lift to try. My operated leg is longer than the other, and I just wear a couple extra insoles in the shoe of the other leg.
    Us seniors don't have much movement in our sacroiliac joints and lower spine, so adjusting to even a 1/4" difference in a leg length can be difficult.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Lucy1

Lucy1 new member

Canada Canada
    Thank you for some great ideas to consider. My physio says that my leg isn't shorter, but because my leg is vegus or knock kneed on the one side I am having the problems. Thanks everyone.

8. Roy Gardiner

Roy Gardiner FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I was bowlegged pre-op, but as I had BTKR they were both straight afterwards. I still had to learn to walk properly and how to pedal my bike. Your knee needs doing, with any luck post-op you can get physios to help with gait etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello @Lucy1 - and :welome:

Please will you tell us the full dates of your knee replacements, so we can make a signature for you? Thank you.:flwrysmile:

10. Lucy1

Lucy1 new member

Canada Canada
    Left TKR was August 11, 2016. Thank you.
    Right Arthroscopy 2007

11. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Thank you for those surgery dates. I've put them in your signature.
    If you fill in this chart and take it with you, it might help you to explain to the surgeon how your knees are affecting your quality of life:
    Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?

12. jboles

jboles graduate

@Lucy1 I can sympathize with you. Both of my knees were valgus (knock knees). I had LTKR July 2017 and it’s perfectly straight. Then 6 months later I had RTKR and it was 19 degrees valgus, the OS messed up and it’s still 10 degrees valgus. I still walk with a cane and I’m looking at a revision in my future. Take these peoples advice and get a second opinion, because as long as you have a crooked leg you’re going to have knee pain, foot pain and back pain.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Lucy1

Lucy1 new member

Canada Canada
    Thanks you for the good advice. Will look into doing that soon. Just so tiring not walking properly especially at this time of the year. Even my winter coat looks lopsided on me. Thank you. Needed to hear that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. jboles

jboles graduate

I understand exactly what you’re saying. One pant leg hangs straight, the other doesn’t. And I walk like I’m 90 years old!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Lucy1

Lucy1 new member

Canada Canada
    Will be getting a second opinion soon. At this point, my left knee that was replaced and straightened is giving me more problems (pain in back, hip and thigh) than the right one that is bone on bone and valgus. Beginning to think I don't need a right tkr. No pain sitting, just walking and standing. Feel like I am not put together right and until the other leg is straightened I won't be able to walk without pain.

16. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I am going to tag @Josephine
    our forum administrator and nurse director to address your concerns.

17. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

I'll be interested to hear what your 2nd opinion has to say.

18. Lucy1

Lucy1 new member

Canada Canada
    Haven't forgotten you all and your good advice, but still waiting to hear when my second opinion is. Looking forward to it now. Will keep you up to date. Will be travelling about two hours from home to a major hospital for the consultation. Hope the weather is good. Meanwhile walking just gets harder and harder. Walking in the house is fine, but outside isn't easy, especially, with our Canadian winters. Thanks. L

19. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hope you can get that appointment quickly. That's a long way to go for an appointment, but for a good doctor, it's worth it!

20. Lucy1

Lucy1 new member

Canada Canada
    Just heard today that my appointment is Feb. 13th. Praying for good weather. Will keep you posted. L

• Like Like x 1