Lounge Doctor
Ask the Expert Webinar

TKR new to knee

zinnia

senior
Country
United States United States
Hi All, First thread on the knee forum. I was on the hip forum for years with 4 surgeries to fix a very bad replacement, Now I have a misaligned knee on the same side which must be replaced so I can get back to walking with stability. Look forward to reading all your experiences.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hello @zinnia - and :welome: to the knee side.

I hope your knee replacement will be less of a problem than your hip has been.

Do let us know when you have a surgery date, won't you?
Meanwhile, here is some pre-op reading for you:

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing knee recoveries

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Welcome back, sweet Zinnia.
So sorry it’s due to another surgery, but I’m selfishly happy to see your smiling face on your avatar. I’ve missed you! I will be following your surgery / recovery and be one of your biggest cheerleaders. Hopefully it’s one of the easiest recoveries you’ll experience.
Sending hugs and wishes for comfort and peace while you’re waiting for your scheduled date. I hope you have a nice weekend! :)

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hello @zinnia - welcome to the knee side of BoneSmart! We will certainly support you all the way through this journey. Don't hesitate to post your questions or concerns!

OP
OP
zinnia

zinnia

senior
Country
Thanks to Layla and Jaycey; nice to have you both back on my side. Good to meet you, Celle. Thank you for your welcome, My surgery is Oct. 2. I am mainly concerned about the pain following surgery. I've heard from others that it is bad. I'm not afraid of pain, been through quite a bit of it. Just want to be prepared. My surgeon is good about controlling it which is very helpful. I am already reading the other members' questions pre-op and the answers which are very helpful. To I am underway. A nice weekend to all. I'll be around off and on over the weekend.

leejaa

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Hi and welcome to the knee side. This is the side I started with and then proceeded to the hip side. The knees are a bit more difficult recovery but so doable the bonesmart way. My OS who did all my joints is also great with pain management so everything was well managed and not difficult. I did the necessary medication on a schedule, lots of elevation and icing and easy on the exercises. It all worked and now I have pain free knees and hips. Have a peaceful day.

Tykey

big-cheese
Pain after surgery isnt compulsory, I'm not saying it won't sting a bit. A sensible consistent thought out approach to taking medication, elevating and lots of icing will see you through OK.
Good luck

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:wave:my hippy pal.
Sorry your knee is misbehaving and now needs sorting, but really good to see you on the forum.:loveshwr:
Will be looking for your updates on surgery date.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
TKR. 2019
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom