BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

New to hopefully right hip replacement

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by shadowmoon, Sep 7, 2017.

1. shadowmoon

shadowmoon

United States United States
    I started having problems with my right hip in May 2016 at 56 y/o. X-rays showed mild degenerative osteoarthritis with some bone spurs. I was sent for a cortisone injection. It did nothing. In Nov 2016, did MRI which showed some labrum with multiple areas of cartilage missing. I am obese (BMI 43.4) and they said I have to be a BMI 30 to be a candidate for surgery. Sent me for 2nd cortisone injection. Not only didn't help, but made pain much more.

Fast forward to today. Unable to exercise due to no mobility, emotional eating from pain has caused my weight to go up, I am now on disability from work because I couldn't handle the pain any longer. I've been taking the usual ibuprofen/Tylenol & doing PT. They now put me on Tramadol as well. New x-ray showed moderate degenerative osteoarthritis, so it's gotten worse. I can't walk without use of cane or walker. I can't reach to even the bottom part of my leg. I'm at the end of my rope. I can't handle the pain any longer.

Have OS appt (3rd different doc) in a couple weeks. How do I get him to understand that with the pain, I can't exercise and can't lose the weight? If he doesn't approve, I'll have to do bariatric surgery which I really don't want to do.

Tags:
  2. mystikfairy61

mystikfairy61

I would see about finding another doctor. I know the weight has a bearing but also know there are doctors that don't look at you based on a number on the scales but as a whole person. I had weight issues before I had my right hip and left knee replaced but found a doctor that did them and was able to get my weight down this year. I am having my left hip done in 4 days but I am now down to a sz 10-12 from a sz 20. Best of luck and I hope you find a doctor that will work with you.

• Like Like x 1
  3. shadowmoon

shadowmoon

Thank you, mystikfairy61. I decided I'm taking a friend with me as an advocate to my appointment.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @shadowmoon So sorry you are suffering. This issue with trying to get patients to have bariatric surgery in order to have THR really does make my blood boil! You need your mobility to lose weight.

I agree with Donna - find a surgeon who will work with you. Yes, I know the risks of surgery are a bit greater when you are overweight. But it's very tough situation and you need help. Can you get a second opinion? Would your primary care doc help you?

Where are you based in the US? Our members may be able to help you find someone.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. shadowmoon

shadowmoon

Thanks, Jaycey. I'm in No. California and have Kaiser. I had a friend who weighs more than I do and he got a surgeon that would do his. Unfortunately, he's not on the schedule as a possibility. I had 2 to choose from that have availability - checked through end of November. I chose the one whose face looked the kindest and what he had in his professional bio:

"My practice philosophy is to provide individualized patient-centered care. My aim is to educate and empower patients, as well as establish realistic expectations."

This will be the 3rd one I've seen.

6. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

Well I guess looks can fool us. Unfortunately it is sometimes a long process to find a surgeon who will overlook complications such as yours. I would try the other surgeon. Sometimes bedside manner is overruled by necessity.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Josephine

Josephine NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

8. GrannyC

GrannyC

I would definitely look for another surgeon if this one won't do the surgery. If you are locked into Kaiser, can you go to a Kaiser surgeon in the next city from you? I know there are surgeons who would be understanding of your problem and willing to do the surgery so keep looking until you find him/her. It just may take a little more time but in the long run it will be worth it. Keep us posted on how you are doing.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Horseshoe

Horseshoe

@shadowmoon fwiw, I had a work colleague experience similar frustrations so she left Kaiser. She signed up with a different insurance co and quickly found a surgeon w/o any hitches or stalling.

• Useful Useful x 1