• REGISTER for Joint Replacement Awareness Day on May 9th, 2020!

Surgeons, patients, and other medical professionals will talk about topics you've told are important to you. You can ask questions LIVE of the participants. Please "like" and "share" our JRAD notice on your Facebook page too!

Register and learn more in this announcement:

Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

TKR New to group

jadaniels53

Country
United States United States
Hello group I’m new to the group. I had TKR in January 22nd am still experiencing lots of pain and many sleepless nights. I have p/t in my home 3 times a week which is going good. I’m taking 2- 500 mg tylenol every 8 hrs and 5mg oxocodone every 4-6 hrs. The medicine is causing me to be nauseous. My thigh is severely bruised and painful I’m told due to tourniquet used. I’m having shin splint pain and ankle pain. I’m walking good with and without the walker in the house. Any hints or helpful tools for recovery

Last edited:

Jockette

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hi and Welcome!

Most of us were still in some level of pain at your stage, but it should be manageable.

Maybe your doctor can give you something for the nausea. Be sure you always eat something with your dose of medication.

Eventually it will settle down, especially if you don’t overdo your activities.

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Seatides

Country
Welcome, @jadaniels53! I'm at 12 weeks now, but at 2 weeks I was having trouble managing pain and sleeping at night too. You've already been through the worst, in my opinion -- those first few days after the surgery. It's a very gradual, back-and-forth process, but it does get better!

caredFL

Country
For me the pain (controlled with oxy/tylenol) eased up about 3-4 weeks but continued with Tylenol and Tramadol at night for a couple more weeks. Thankfully, I didn't experience nausea but always made sure I ate something before the meds. I kept crackers by my bed at night so I didn't have to get up when I took my meds during the night. Honestly, it was about 8 weeks before my sleep was much better. At that point I could sleep on my side some and move around more with only tylenol at night. It just takes time, rest and ice. As for the bruise, I too had a huge one from that tourniquet and it took 6 weeks for it to go away. Hang in there as it's early but it will get better!

Helizabug

graduate
Country
Stick with us on BoneSmart. You’ll find that most of us were still working on pain management months out. It gets better, for sure, but this recovery is long and complicated. Sleep is challenging for most of us, too. I listen to audiobooks and lectures on my iPhone with headphones, and that helps me fall asleep. Even when I don’t fall asleep, I feel like the time was well spent.

Rubyroo

Country
Welcome! Those first several weeks are pretty rough. Hang in there though- it slowly gets better! Baby steps!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Doxiemome
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom