TKR new tkr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vallee
You are like all of us here in your recovery. And A typical of our stories. It's a very hard one to deal with. The knee is the most complicated joint in the body. Do what is recommended here and you'll be o.k. Time will go by fast and you'll realize how far you've come at some point.
I felt the same way that I wouldn't have my other knee done but my rtkr turned out so well after 2 years I couldn't stand living with the pain my left knee still gave so I went in June 2 2014. It's been 10 weeks and still needs healing and work. I pray it comes out like my rtkr did.
I wonder how all the folks here turn out after so much time has passed. So many feel pain,discomfort,etc. for months and months. At some point they must (assuming they don't have an infection or loosening) settle down to being so glad they did it. My RTKR after 2 years is wonderful. Yes it clunks around or clicks once in a while. Yes it still gets stiff sitting. But I do forget I had it done and it was the answer to the pain I had before. A friend told me you always know it's there. She was right. Keep that in mind in time.

Congratulations on getting done with the staples and strips. Bit by bit you're getting there.

time is moving on and the recovery is taking place day by day when I look back over the last 4 weeks since my op I am recovering slowly, I can now walk with one crutch indoors I can have a shower, I walk round my round daily and can sit with a bent knee albeit a very small bend it is better than straight particularly while trying to sit on the loo.
my quad is still not working but I can now manage to get in and out of the car independently, it looks strange and my hubby and I do laugh about how I do it.
I have walked round the supermarket and even went to my allotment and sat and watched hubby dig up the potatoes, I can prepare meals standing up, I haven't cooked yet.
life is slowly becoming more normal but on a daily basis the changes are small and not noticeable but when you look back to op day things have moved on. I am off to physio Thursday so it will be interesting to see how things stand due to no exercise this last week due to wound not healing. I have been so lucky and haven't suffered major pain but boy it is swollen still

little things.jpg
@vallee, TKR recovery is very slow and it's difficult sometimes to feel that we're actually improving. You're only one month post op---just 1/12th of the way down a long, long road. So to keep things in perspective, I also suggest you keep a record of the milestones you achieve as you're recovering.

With a written record, you have something to pull out and look at that shows you just how far you've come. When you consider how long it took that knee to get in the shape is was before surgery, we really shouldn't expect that it's going to just be all well and "normal" in a month's time. So rather than focus on how far we have to go---we should keep an eye on just how far we've come.

And the "little" things really help us as we move through recovery---the first time you fully rotate that pedal on the exercise bike, the first shower, washing your hair for the first time after surgery, making that first trip out of the house----you get the idea. These little things add up to that BIG thing---getting your life back; and you are on the way. And I think you're doing great so far!

Take care and keep us posted. We care.

well another visit to the physio which I was dreading due to the no bend rule while my wound healed. at the beginning of the time my ROM was 60 down 10 but we got it back up to 72, no pain just a bit of pulling. she told me my leg was nice and straight so pleased about that.
home iced and elevating feels different not pain slightly stretched I would say
happy recovery everyone x

dread.jpg
@vallee, glad the anticipation was worse than the actual visit. Just remember that you are the boss, and you can also say NO or STOP if things get past being uncomfortable.

Take care, be good to that new knee, and keep us posted. We care.

so here I am another visit to physio, this time a class for newbie knees did a circuit of exercises which was actually good I ENJOYED it!!!!
measure my ROM from 4 days ago and I am now at 80, now I know compared to some that is not brilliant but for me it is fantastic but the very best thing was a straight leg lift and my quad worked yippee I ohhhhh, I have waited nearly 5 weeks for this to happen
home icing and elevating and feeling chuffed to nuts

way to go 1.jpg
straight leg raise.jpg
@vallee! These little milestones are just the bomb! Feels so good, gets you so excited, lets you know good things are happening! I am so pleased for you.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.

Progress!:yay:

Hi I have a question. my knee is tight and the physio said it was scar tissue building up and exercise would ease it, which is fine and I have been exercising and we are both happy with what I am doing but my question is this morning I was doing a little squat and felt something give in my knee like a slight rip, no pain since no problems whatsoever, would this be the scar tissue giving way or something more sinister? any ideas very welcome
thanks @Josephine I hope you don't mind but I tagged you in the hope you may have been asked this before thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope today you are doing better.

I HATED getting the staples out---HATED it!! It HURT :scare: . I think we should be numbed first. It hurt really bad with the other knee too. I had a very highly rated surgeon take the first ones out. I had a nurse take the second left knee ones out, both hurt like hell!! :yikes:

My first right knee didn't lift easily, just give it time. My second lifted right away in the hospital, so everything was different between the two recoveries.

Patience is the word. :ice::sleep:

I was also a wus getting staples removed. I took a pain pill and it still bothered me. Not looking forward to that when I have my left tkr done.

here we go another update, just had an appt with my surgeon, he is great and very realistic about what I can achieve. my ROM is 85 not great but given my earlier problems with the wound and infection I am not unhappy.it has been a gradual improvement which I hope can keep going . He would like me to reach 95 and if we got to 100 he would be :rotfl:. so he has given me a month to get there otherwise it may be a MUA. i am now able to get into the water so might be able to swim a bit but definitely i will be doing exercises in the pool, my physio is going to write some down for me also i can go into the gym and use the bikes which fingers crossed will improve my ROM
i am feeling positive and everyday i am finding things easier and i still want him to arrange for my RTR when i come back from my holiday in December as it is so good to be without pain in my new knee

@vallee one thing I have learn threw this experience well two things its a day by day thing and patience. I do think a positive attitude will go a long way!!! You go girl You got this :yahoo::yes!:

You're moving in the right direction!

I hope you like the bike as much as I do - I am convinced it really helped me get my flexion moving along. And it's my go to exercise when I'm super stiff or feel real swollen. I also used the pool but wasn't crazy about it - I think the water was too cold for me. It feels so good to know you are moving forward, doesn't it?

he has given me a month to get there otherwise it may be a MUA.
@vallee, I had an MUA after my first TRKR in 2000 -- as it was so swollen and I couldn't do more than 60 on the knee bending machine -- and it was great. Went under with a difficult knee then woke up to find it bending like Beckham! :yahoo:

Hang in there - things WILL improve :)

Wishing you all the best for a speedy recovery
~Nona

yea a good workout with physio today got to 91-92 so going in the right direction, it was meant to be my last class with them but they are letting me continue so I can be measured weekly and I am really pleased about that.
went to the pool yesterday and it was so good to get in the water I miss swimming but it was nice to walk and exercise in water felt a bit strange but I now have exercises specially for the water
I really want to hit the 100 mark

just been to gp surgery to have my clips out and oh no they think I have an infection so clips are staying in and I have to take some penicillin feeling a bit miffed :(
@vallee - you poor thing! I hope the antibiotics will kick in and get rid of any bugs in your system!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom