THR Over did it after a year and a half

Question: I have a stick shift and had my left hip replaced. When can I drive? I’m off all the painkillers except aspirin or Tylenol. Anyone have a thought about that?

My "extremely conservative" OS cleared me at my six week follow-up. Pushing in the clutch wasn't the issue for me - it was moving my leg "over and up" to depress the clutch. I was probably ready at about 4-5 weeks. I had a posterior hip replacement and still have to be careful entering and exiting the car. Good luck to you and I hope this helps...

@Gretelin hello our names are so similar how funny that we find ourselves here! My heart was racing too and I suspected it was the blood thinners (baby aspirin and Lovenox) but wound up taking a trip to the ER to rule out a pulmonary embolism. Sleeping didn’t really happen for me until week 3. My blood pressure is usually high. Maybe call your PA? Just to have that checked out.

GreetaI agree with you . My OS send me tramadol and I have not touched I also want to flush it downbthe toilet. I dont like taking tylenol since he told me to take 2 of 500mg/each. Im not in pain, I will ask him if CBD oil is good to take? I will ask him that question on Monday.
I sleep very uncomfortable. Well, keep me post it. Thanks, Gretelin.

Last edited by a moderator:
My real name is actually Gretell. Some people call me Greta like Greta Garbo. I will see my OS on Monday. I believe the heart race is because I get out of breath when I walk. PT said it was normal, but I will ask my OS on Monday.

@Gretelin My real name is Gretchen but I much prefer Greta. I’m in Colorado. I just took 1000mg of Tylenol to take the edge off. Ouf this process is very slow! It’s hard to find the patience to let the body recover. I feel pressure from friends and family to be back to normal because « it’s been so long ». Trust me, no one wants me up and running more than I do!

Yes, agree I also have my family asking all the time sp when are you going to walk normal without walker. Are you having a hard time sleeping. Do you havevthe wedge between legs to avoid turning in bed.
When was you surgery? What type of anesthesia they put and the name of your implant? I have to ask the doctor to give me a card with all that info so when I fly the TSA ask you to show prove.

We are about the same as to when we had our surgery Greataa11. I feel too, that since I’m feeling so much better my family thinks I should be back at the usual things. We have a dairy farm and I am one of the main cow milkers. We have good help so that’s not a problem. I don’t see my OS for two more weeks and I’m hoping he tells me to take a few more weeks off. I’m still getting up at least 2 times during the night, and actually took a nap today. I’m driving some, it’s easier to get in the drivers side. I am doing exercises at home my dr does not prescribe any pt for his hip patients just walking and 6 exercises I can do at home. Good luck with your continued healing

@boots hey! I’m fortunate to be a stay at home mom but my husband owns his own business and of course there’s a lot he can’t do within the constraints of preschool that ends at 3:30pm! I’m not doing PT, my therapist was young and kinda pushy and I dropped it after the second visit. Walking/icing/elevating/resting. And waiting!

I have to ask the doctor to give me a card with all that info so when I fly the TSA ask you to show prove.
@Gretelin - The TSA won't take any notice of documentation saying you have an implant. They still have to check, because they wouldn't be doing their job properly if they didn't.
Unfortunately, false documentation is all to easy to obtain.

Hello @Greataa11
I'm sorry you feel pressure from friends and family to be back to normal but it's a slower process than those without the experience realize. We've seen some push it and develop chronic pain issues and you obviously don't want that. I'll bet you're noticing some great progress over the past month.
It sounds like you're taking a wise measured approach. Keep it up, you'll get there!

That is too bad about the stick shift getting you a front seat in the ODIC. Wonderful friend, though to loan you her automatic.
Ooh! I get so annoyed when I hear that people think us new hippies should be further along!
This is your recovery and you do you.. I think you are taking a very steady approach and it will pay off really well for you.
That goes for you, too @boots , I'm glad you are hoping to take a few more weeks off.

Hello everybody. So here I am at week 7 and everything is going well. Walking without assistance, feeling really good, follow up with surgeon went well- he told me to forget I even had my hip replaced and sometimes I do! However, I am noticing a weird numbness on my foot. It’s primarily on the top part of my big toe and kinda feels like a tissue or cobweb is stuck to it. Goes away when I wiggle the foot. It either just started or I’m just noticing it because I recently stopped wearing those compression socks. I don’t notice it when I’m
wearing socks or slippers but bare-footed it is annoying. Had the anterior approach — could this be nerve damage?

:wave: @Greataa11
7 weeks and you sound as if you have done beautifully!
I had different odd sensations that popped up through my recovery...especially the first 3 months. Some may have been post surgery hiccups and many I think were due to my body's adjustment to my improved stance, new gait, etc...
I don't remember the particular one you describe but by the time I got concerned, it seems my issue would resolve and perhaps a new one would take over for a bit.:shrug: Of course, I had 2 to deal with also.
We recover from the surgery and from the period - in my case years -of our compensation due to bad hips.
he told me to forget I even had my hip replaced
Sounds as if he was very pleased with your recovery, and wanted to be encouraging but @ 7 weeks ...you are still healing.
My guess is...this too shall pass, but do treat yourself with ice and elevation still after activity...and be mindful of heel to toe gait.
I am so glad you are doing so well!
Hope your week is sweet.:tada:

@Greataa11 do you have any issues with your lower back? That sensation on the top of the foot could be issues with your sciatic nerve. And since that nerve runs very close to the hip it may have been aggravated by the surgery. I'll bet this just fades with time.

Thank you both of you for easing my mind a bit. I don’t have any back issues that I know of. Socks and slippers help a lot it’s only at night when I notice it.

Hi @Greataa11
Happy Two Month Anniversary! I hope you're doing well and your Saturday is off to a good start. We'd love to hear how you're doing if you have time to share an update. Wishing you a lovely weekend!

Hello, happy to announce that I’m doing really well. The weird foot numbness has disappeared and I’m working out at home almost everyday (Barre3 classes online, I love them!). It’s a busy time of year and I’m thinking about my hip less and less. Happy holidays to everyone on bonesmart! Thank you for keeping me sane!
:christmas-carols-smiley-emoticon:

@Greataa11 You sound like you are doing great!! :bow: Great to hear!

I am intrigued. Online was not very descriptive. I had heard Barre classes were quite difficult. Is there a graduated process to Barre3?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom