• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

THR New THR day 11

OP
OP
Greataa11

Greataa11

Country
United States United States
Hey everybody! So yesterday I started taking little 10-15 minute walks around my neighborhood and I keep noticing that my leg with the new hip turns slightly inward. It looks just ever so slightly pigeon-toed. Has anyone else experienced this? Will it work itself ouf?

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Yes, I had that issue, too. It does get sorted out. I was advised to focus on using my thigh muscles to help guide that leg and foot. As in gently squeezing the quadriceps when walking with that leg.
I think mine corrected itself around the 4 weeks mark, but as you know,we all are different.
I hope this helps you not worry. @Greataa11

OP
OP
Greataa11

Greataa11

Country
@CricketHip ok great I’ll give that a go. Are there any stretching exercises you would recommend? I had the anterior approach and my thigh + butt muscles are still really really tight.

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
I like what Jaycey recommended, for the gentle hamstring stretches. I found, for the quadriceps- just doing a gentle massage daily, I did mine in the evening. I massaged everywhere I could reach and made small circles with some good cream, Any lotion that glides a bit will be great. I would work up and down my thigh first going in little clockwise circles and then would reverse and repeat going counter clockwise.
It just takes time.. sometimes more than we'd like, but it does begin to ease. :flwrysmile:

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
I keep noticing that my leg with the new hip turns slightly inward. It looks just ever so slightly pigeon-toed. Has anyone else experienced this? Will it work itself ouf?
I had the opposite of you, referred to as external rotation. My leg turned slightly outward before surgery. I questioned it and my OS maintained surgery would take care of it. I noticed it afterward also and it slowly eased back to normal with time. So no worries, you'll be as good as new again soon. :wink:

OP
OP
Greataa11

Greataa11

Country
4 weeks today and might have overdone the walking. My hip started aching last night so I’m icing and elevating. I set a goal of 5000 steps a day-something I never paid attention to-and I kinda forced a longer walk yesterday in freezing conditions no less. I’m ready to go back to my life and my hip is still not there. I’m ready to resume my role as primary care giver to my four year old. I haven’t yet attempted to drive my car as it’s a stick and there’s been a bit of snow and I don’t have tons of muscle in my left thigh. Every day is one step forward and two steps back. :tantrum:

Mayhip8

senior
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Wow! It sound like you’re doing really well! Well done :) :-) (:

OP
OP
Greataa11

Greataa11

Country
@Mayhip8 hi ouf i don’t feel like I’m doing well but thank you for the kind and encouraging words. Yesterday I did feel better but today I feel so achy! This forum keeps a lot of worries at bay. I have a good book and started knitting just to keep myself busy. I tend towards worry and anxiety so staying busy is key.

Mayhip8

senior
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I agree this forum is brilliant! It’s helped me massively during my recovery since May, I like your plan to knit and read to keep your anxiety at bay it’s a good one! Are you knitting anything in particular? Do you do mindfulness or have you got access to the ‘headspace’ app ? I find it really useful - there is also an app called ‘calm ‘which I use, I know you have to pay for some of these apps but there are also some free trials. The main thing I’ve learnt is to be patient, Ice becomes your best friend! Take each day as it comes, rest when you need to, and keep coming back to this forum!

It’s 3 pm in the afternoon now so I must go and get ready for work, hope you have a comfortable whatever time of day it is with you :flwrysmile::flwrysmile:

OP
OP
Greataa11

Greataa11

Country
@Mayhip8 its early here in Colorado or at least it was when I read your post. You convinced me to finally download and try the Ten percent happier app. I used to do a lot of yoga and a lot of breathing exercises and honestly I’ve grown to dislike both. Walking has always been the most effective anxiety reducer and I’m enjoying my 10-20 minutes around the neighborhood. The first exercise on the app was a 4:30 minute meditation and I do feel calmer! Thanks for the nudge!

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
You sound like you're doing well, one month out is still early on so take it slow and easy. Have you been cleared by your OS to start driving again, especially a stick? I know it gives us a bit of our independence back but don't rush it if you're not ready. I'm thinking caring for a 4 year old is definitely helping you get your steps in. :running: Keep up the good work.

OP
OP
Greataa11

Greataa11

Country
@Elf1 yes I was told that I could drive once I felt ready and off the narcotics. I drove today and that was fine; however, I did not take my daughter to school or pick her up. The drop off and pick up are hectic and I don’t feel fast enough yet. One month anniversary tomorrow! Woot!

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:hi: Happy One Month Hipversary!:flwrysmile:
There are lots of improvement to come.
I just had to remind myself often -
Tightness is a normal occurrence after this kind of major surgery. Your surgeon did major carpentry work and disturbed every millimeter of soft tissue in this area. You aren't tight because your muscle is underused and needs to be stretched and rehabbed. You're tight because your tissue is healing... If a long full step right now is causing pain and limping, don't take long full steps. Take smaller steps. Take a short walk several times a day, instead of longer walks. Use your cane. Use ice. Rest a lot.

This isn't the time to do anything to excess. Baby steps now, and lots of patience, pays off big time later. Recovering from self-induced tendinitis can end up taking weeks or months. Consider yourself as still recovering from surgery and structure your return to your life as a slow, gradual process where you introduce very small increments in activity, and then give yourself time to see how you react to it.
All temporary, and worth the patience. I am certainly glad I am able to get back to a full happy life

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hello @Greataa11
Happy Thursday and Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you're having a good week as you continue the journey. :walking:

OP
OP
Greataa11

Greataa11

Country
Thank you @Layla and @Mojo333 ! I like the little 10-20 min walks. I’m terrible at exercise but walking has always cleared my mind. That was one of the deciding factors for scheduling the surgery. I stopped being able to walk to the grocery store and I’d had a couple people *notice* my limp. It really is leaps and bounds when you compare weeks as opposed to days. Sleeping so much better now too!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Greataa11

Greataa11

Country
Hello, So driving a manual has proved too much. I think it’s aggravated a tendon on my upper thigh. It’s better today but yesterday I became a member of the dreaded ODIC. Going to borrow my sisters automatic car and take the rest of the weekend easy. :tiredwheel:

Gretelin

Country
Yes, Gretta going through the same thing. Had LTHR on Nov 5. Exactly 10 days ago. im very uncomfortable sleeping at nights. My hearts races?, I feel the palpitations. When I get up am out of breath. My blood pressure is usually low. I dont have no pain, Thanks God. I will have my first visit with my OS on Monday Nov.18 at 10am. I started therapy right away. I cane home o. Nov 8 Friday and Monday Nov 11 I started therapy 3x a week for 8 weeks. I slso do the exercises they send me at home 2x a day. Are you going to therapy? You are quite young 44 am 49 but do far so good. One day at s time, we have to have patience lots of recuparating goi g through this sllow process. I k ow is difficult, but think of a this way we already went through the worst part. Now we are on the other side recuperati ng. Much love and patience your way
from Gretelin!!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Scooby22
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom