THR New THR and quite upsetting

The one with the highest pay grade isn't afforded time for silliness like talking to the patient, that is for underlings with less knowledge and less pay.
This is sad, but so often true! I met with my surgeon once, scheduled surgery for two months later, saw him for a couple minutes in pre-op for the second time, then not again until I was three months post op! I guess I've come to view it as he did his job as a surgeon in the OR and beyond that let his care team handle the rest. It is not what we want, nor necessarily expect, but definitely very common. I guess this isn't Marcus Welby MD :heehee: No house calls, exceptional bedside manner, or sense of urgency for followup visits with your patients. Thankfully we have each other here on BS to laugh, support, comfort, advise, encourage and commiserate with.:wink:
You gotta love this place! I know I do. Thanks for all of your contributions here, @Eman85
I’m in the U.K., so a different system to you, @Layla, but I was absolutely staggered at how little contact I had with my surgeon, and how little the people who were looking after me in the hospital were able to tell me. Every question was met with ‘you’ll have to ask the surgeon’…. who I never saw. I’d paid to go privately, rather than wait with the NHS, so had imagined it would be very different, but it was just as you describe - one consultation, a quick pre-op chat, then a final check up at 6 weeks (less than a fortnight now!).

Without the wise, knowledgeable, compassionate and very funny people here, I would have been lost.

While in early recovery, I felt the same about the forum, Tuppence. I believe the contributions from everyone here probably save many OS's phone calls from patients over minor concerns. Little things such as, Log Leg....why does my leg feel like a tree trunk when I try to lift it? Why am I so tired? What's the time limit on icing? I feel depressed, is that normal? Questions /concerns of that variety. I found communicating with those that have "been there done that" a comfort.

I cant lift my leg of the ground at all. very tight in the morning and painful after any walking.
Log Leg - Why Does My Leg Feel So Heavy?

The first stage of healing is the inflammatory phase. During this time it is very common to notice swelling. After lower extremity surgery, or trauma involving bleeding and inflammation, there will be fluid in the leg causing the sensation of heaviness. Gravity pulls the fluid downward and since the patient is less mobile the fluid is not pumping back through the heart as quickly. The swelling gradually eases, but can persist for up to 3-6 months in some cases. Regular movement will assist in the reduction of swelling, as will elevation and ice. Your surgeon may prescribe compression stockings for a short period of time.

Following joint replacement, you may benefit from the use of a Leg Lifter. The Leg Lifter is a mobility aid that can assist in getting in and out of cars, wheelchairs, beds, recliners and much more. The Leg Lifter is an inexpensive option that helps provide safe movement in the early days, to weeks, of recovery.

@steveeasy
If you're not icing and elevating, consider doing so on a regular basis. It should help with the swelling and heaviness you described. Ice for 45-60 minutes each session and target several times daily. Always place fabric between your leg and the ice source. Hopefully this will help.

Use the Activity progression for THRs as a guide for activity. You don't really need any other exercise at this point aside from walking.

It is not necessary to exercise your injured hip to promote healing. The controlled trauma sustained through THR will heal on its own. Often though, we're impatient and want to move the process along. In doing so we run the risk of struggling with pain and setbacks stalling the healing process. The best therapy for recovery is walking, but not to excess. Start slowly increasing time and distance incrementally in an effort not to overdo it. Give yourself the TLC you deserve and reap the benefits of a successful recovery.

@Tuppence71 , might be a different country and a different currency but it all boils down the same. With our system we can shop for a doctor within our private insurance parameters.

Well its been 14 days now. pain has gone in my leg, well almost. I am walking with sticks. indeed I find I can walk as well with one stick. I intend to use a stick for a long time as ive got this leg discrepancy. Id say its around 40mm and I have 3 insoles in my right shoe. without a stick im rocking too and frow. there is a chance im still not really weight bearing on my left side properly but i am not concerned about that.

Sleep. well ive spent every night in a reclining chair, cant sleep in my bed at all. just so uncomfortable, keep trying but not keen to sleep on my side. Think the plan is to do my other hip in around 8-10 weeks time.

Not sure how I feel about my new hip yet. no pain in it. lots in the other side. I sat on my Tractor today and it was easier getting on today than before. Just testing the water. Could go back to work next week but ive cancelled that. need more time off to make sure everything is fine. may see how I am in 2 weeks.

oh ive quite bad knees, I mean they have been so painful pre surgery. Post surgery they seam much better, now it might be as im taking it easy, but it might be the opp has helped in this regard.
Best wishes
steveeasy.

Steveeasy - Left hip in Dec 2019. I probably had some leg length discrepancy going in (left longer), but it was quite significant after, over an inch. And I don't think there was any 'eve—ing out' over the next few months. It is very upsetting, I agree. I was using heel lifts, but there wasn't sufficient room in any of my shoes to get me totally even. When I had the other hip done seven months later, the surgeon was able to lengthen that leg so that I was much closer to even. Did that have anything to do with the painful zingers in that thigh that started up about six months later? Who knows? (I've written about that experience - which thankfully, eventually, abated - elsewhere on this forum). So, just want to say that I have total empathy for what you are going through. You can buy a lift that fits over your shoe, if that sounds like any help. But…it's also early days still. And perhaps the experience that others have recounted of 'evening up' happening will be the case for you.
Sure hope you have brighter days going forward!

Hi Arjay,
Thanks for your post. very interesting to read. Wish id not got on my Tractor yesterday, My leg is painful today. No point rushing it.
I am not sure why my leg was left longer. ive no pelvic tilt at all. I appreciate they need to make sure the muscles are tight to hold the joint in place. But stretching a leg too much really makes recovery longer I suspect. the muscles need to recalibrate as well as recover from the trauma.

I am only 2 weeks in but not sure who long it will take for me to walk without a stick. Not even sure if im using the stick correctly. had my left hip replaced and I use the stick on my right side. seams to balance me as I walk.

Steveeasy

I also had a noticeable LLD after a pelvic tilt was straightened with my latest surgery, which was three weeks ago. It *is* getting better, but not quite there yet. My surgeon is dead set against heel lifts until the hip has thoroughly heeled, so I'm still lopsided. I'm just now starting with a cane/stick. You are using it correctly -- you are meant to use it on the opposite side of the bad hip. It's taking me some serious getting used to, since I'm a righty and it feels very odd to hold it in my left hand. I think this is another case of needing to exercise the patience muscle, as one of our mods puts it. I am seeing gradual changes -- the LLD isn't as bad as it was three weeks ago and it's still very early days for you. Hang in there, I know how disconcerting this can be.

Could go back to work next week but ive cancelled that. need more time off to make sure everything is fine. may see how I am in 2 weeks.
Good choice! I think getting on your tractor could have caused todays pains, any strain on your muscles usually shows up the day after.
As for the cane Youtube has good videos on the proper way to aid yourself with a cane and how to adjust it and walk properly with it. Yes it should be in the opposite hand from the effected leg.

Hi Steveeasy,
I am wondering who advised you place three insoles in your shoe, if you don't mind answering?
As far as Leg Length Differential goes, many feel this sensation post op. In most cases it eases with time. We advise giving it 3-4 months as it can take that amount of time for things to balance. If at that point, you are still concerned we suggest you visit a reputable podiatrist or PT for a measurement.
Here's an article from our Library on LLD in case you haven't read it -
Leg length differential - LLD.

I am sorry you're struggling with some pain after the tractor ride yesterday. I hope with lots of ice and rest you feel better tomorrow. :thumb:
@steveeasy

Hi Steveeasy,
I am wondering who advised you place three insoles in your shoe, if you don't mind answering?
As far as Leg Length Differential goes, many feel this sensation post op. In most cases it eases with time. We advise giving it 3-4 months as it can take that amount of time for things to balance. If at that point, you are still concerned we suggest you visit a reputable podiatrist or PT for a measurement.
Here's an article from our Library on LLD in case you haven't read it -
Leg length differential - LLD.

I am sorry you're struggling with some pain after the tractor ride yesterday. I hope with lots of ice and rest you feel better tomorrow. :thumb:
@steveeasy
Hi Layla,
No one advised me. As my leg is longer I thought it would help with walking etc. I am having my other hip replaced in 6-8 weeks at which time I am told I will be levelled up!!.

Best wishes.
stephen

Last edited:
Well progress has slowed. Pain is almost gone completly. swelling gone. slight lack of feeling arround wound. Try as I might I cant walk without limping. I think this is due to not being able to put full weight in to new hip. fine with a single stick.

So I suspect it just means more time to rest. Finances dictate work calls but simply cant return to work wiithout walking. Yes I know I am being unrealistic. Defiantly on the mend though.

Steveeasy

Returning to work at 3 weeks is definitely unrealistic unless you work from a recliner. The recovery guidelines on this site are very realistic and reflect what the majority of us had for recovery. Walking with a limp at 3 weeks is pretty normal, many are still on a walker at 3 weeks so if you can use a cane you're ahead of the curve.

Hi,
Ok I thought it would be helpful to others to update 25 days post THR.. Well Much to my amazement I actually thing my extra 2 inch leg is more like an inch now. I have no pain at all in my leg. no swelling. no pain in my new hip and I can sleep in my bed. Actually ive even slept on my boat. I can drive. and Been out fencing all day today. Still wobbling though due to the hight difference but comfortable.

What I really am having problems with is my other hip. looks like ive got to go thru it all again in around 6 weeks time. I am being careful though with no twisting or anything too much. Planning a 250 mile sail for next week. So there is defiantly light at the end of the tunnel.

I should mention though prior to this optimism I really hit rock bottom last week. resting and doing little which we need to do really does nothing for your mental or indeed your physical state. so much better now.
Best wishes to everyone.

Stephen

That’s good news! My extra long leg seems to be somewhat less long as well. Our muscles and tendons must be doing what they are supposed to be doing. Hopefully, in a few more months, we will have evened out.

@steveeasy only days out of surgery is very early in this process. Please don't push to get back to activity.

If you are considering having the other hip done - great! Any leg length issue can be addressed during that surgery. My LLD was resolved after my second THR. Muscles, tendons and soft tissues were very angry at being stretched a bit. But the result was no LLD and no more lift in my shoe.

I just wanted to check in, and that's in part because of my LLD! But what made me think of you is the three lifts. Again, I'd check with a really good PT person first. I do understand your rationale though but three is a lot. After almost 9 months of worsening issues secondary to a totally unresolved LLD I finally got measured by a certified person who does orthotics who is a PT as well. My first PT who I still see measured a difference of 12 mm months ago, and this person today indicated about a half inch slightly more- so about the same. My surgeon would not measure down to the malleous. In addition my neuro clearly indicated that there ws a LLD too. Now with this said, the others are so right, you very very well may straighten out after the second hip is done! But given your scenario with the crew you had in the first place- I hope you have a good and long meeting with them to really really clarify absolutely every aspect of your next surgery if you have it there. I have injured myself secondary to the LLD (glutes, back and achilles). I think my pont here is- IF you should decide to wear a lift to get around- please make sure you touch base with certified and licensed folks. Yes, I know not easy- the person who had been advising me was the doctor's secretary, but obviously I did go to the professionals as the surgeon was and still is in absolute denial.

Hello,
6 weeks post op and I thought I should update on my progress. Well I dont have a long leg anymore. I dont understand why but It seams the same lenght now. I have no pain at all in my left hip. It seams perfectly normal and comfortable. I have been working carefully but some physical work. can drive very long distances and even climb up on boats.
I do not understand why ?. I am very pleased though indeed. My right hip has got a lot worse and I am booked in for a new right hand hip on the 16th December.

I hope anyone else who comes out with a long leg and is concerned reads this. I genuinely believed it was so much longer it would never even out. indeed it seemingly has.
Best wishes to all.
Steveeasy

@steveeasy It is quite normal for someone who feels they have a significant leg length difference just post op to see this ease with time. The body balances after shifting to accommodate a sore hip. Well done!

Sounds like you are really doing well. I hope you will stick around for your second THR. Soon you will join the double hippie club!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom