Knee Infection* new swelling

its beach

Country
United States United States
After 2.5 years from total knee replacement on my left knee I have experienced painful swelling out of no where. The first time it happened I went to bed and I was feeling fine, then I woke up and I couldn't put any weight on it. It lasted for about 3 days. Today I woke up, it was fine, I did some stretches and about 90 minutes later my knee swelled up with a lot of pain and swelling on the sides of the knee and behind the knee. I'm super frustrated....... It's not red or hot to the touch.

I don't know what could be wrong. Have you called your OS about it? He should be notified. I hope you can find out something.

Would you please tell us your exact date of your tkr? I will add it to your signature for you. Knowing this is will us to advise you better.

It is rather odd that you cannot equate any activity to the swelling and it doesn't happen with any regularity. The best option is just what sistersinhim suggested - have a chat with your surgeon about it. You may be able to schedule a telehealth conference since a lot of surgeons aren't seeing patients in person right now.

I'd suggest you consider you may have a Baker's Cyst, but check with your GP. If it is, I know it's painful, but not a major issue long term.

You should be able to tell if the pain is from a Baker's cyst. You would have swelling at the back of the knee as shown in the left leg of this photo:

1586710153783.png

This is a large cyst and they can be smaller. But it definitely would be located at the back of the knee. If you have pain and swelling at the sides, this probably is not the problem. A Baker's cyst is the result of your body producing too much synovial fluid, resulting in an enlarged bursa at the back of your knee joint. There can be some calf swelling with a Baker's cyst and many times the pain and swelling is worse if you have rheumatoid arthritis.

The best course of action is still for you to talk with your orthopedic surgeon. That should get you the answers you're looking for. Please let us know how things go.

I have a Baker's cyst behind my tkr knee. Most of the time it doesn't bother me, but if I do a lot of extra walking or lifting, it'll flare up. Rest brings it back down.

I found a photo on Google where the swelling had spread round the sides of the knees, but I know they can burst and maybe this can explain it. But we are guessing here, off to the docs with you.

Thank you everyone for your responses!! Since the post I contacted the Surgeon an met him at our hospitals ER (The Covid-19 has luckily not hit our county hard at all in California and the emergency room was completely empty) He drew blood and also the fluid. They ran tests on the blood that showed that I have a staff infection.
From the get go this experience never went very smooth... Instant swelling beyond normal after the surgery, not very good range of motion, I had to go back in the hospital and get manipulated because of scar tissue and the swelling never really completely went away. We did take blood samples to confirm any infections but always came back negative. (that's what is the most mind boggling to me).
I'm meeting the two doctors this morning to discuss replacement surgery this week. The doctor did mention that if the strain is not that sever that in Europe they are just putting a permanent replacement with one surgery instead of the normal procedure where they would pull out the original put in a temp, wait 6 weeks for antibiotics to run its path and then put in a permanent replacement. (have any of you folks heard about the Europe Technic???) I'd be curious.....

MAD-FRUSTRATED....but I need to stay positive

Again, thanks for the feedback

@its beach
Sorry to hear you have an infection and have to have additional surgery, glad they found the source of your swelling and discomfort with your TKR.

In the US most surgeons will do a 2 stage replacement, removing the original TKR and replacing it with an antibiotic infused spacer, after a course of antibiotics and cultures coming back negative, they go back in and place a new implant. Usually you will continue with a course of antibiotics after the second stage of this process.

A few surgeons in the US and surgeons in Europe will do a single stage revision.
First they ID the pathogen with genetic testing, and give you an antibiotic that works best with that strain of bacteria. Once your cultures come back negative, they go in and do a single stage revision.

Please post your exact surgery dates, and date if your MUA, a moderator will add it to your signature for you. Having the exact dates will help us properly advise you. Thanks!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back