New sharp stabbing pain

321Evie

Country
Australia Australia
Just when I thought my pain couldn’t get any worse, I’m now experiencing this agonizing sharp stabbing pain in the front on my hip. It happens every 3 to 5 steps when I’m weight bearing or if I’ve slightly turned on that leg. The pain shoots right up into my skull. My whole body is tense.
What the heck is going on now?! My surgery is in September, but I’m worried I’m doing more damage just by existing [emoji17]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Evening @321Evie. I do have a intense sharp pain in lefty (hip) also. I can't say it goes up to my skull however it makes me holler and heads turn. Have you got a cane? If not I suggest getting one it will help you to put less strain on that hip. If you haven't check YouTube on sizing it and how to use it properly. I'm been using my for awhile now, it does help. Take care.

Hi Evie,
I'm so sorry, the pain you described sounds miserable. I can say from experience that I felt the same on ocassion. Out of the blue, for no apparent reason, I'd get a stabbing, shooting pain that normally put me out of commission for the rest of the day as it hurt with each step I took. Then after a OTC pain reliever and rest, it was gone! Craziest thing. I hope it plays out the same for you. Wishing you comfort and speedy relief.

If all else fails, try a heating pad. It seemed to be the only thing that brought me comfort in the weeks leading up to my surgery. I don't know if it actually relieves pain, but it can be comforting.
@321Evie

Thanks @julesglass and @Layla. I do have a cane and used it while on vacation, but my vanity gets the best of me here at home. I need to get over that! I have popped some pain relief and laid down. I normally ice my hip, but maybe heat would feel better.

Evie, I'm sorry you're in such pain and still have to wait until September for your surgery. Since that is several months, you're going to need to try and baby that hip as much as possible if the pains continue. You don't want to damage the joint any more than it already is. This is a time to be practical. Any cane, crutches or walker you must use now is just a temporary coping tool. It's not permanent. Please try to let go of your vanity and do what is right for your well-being.

It's great ain't it let's you know you're alive! My wife could tell when it happened as I would tense up.

Thanks for the reminder @Jamie I need to hear it!
I do worry about doing more damage, do you know of any such stories?

@Eman85 boy do I know I'm alive. Ugh!

Yes, Evie, I do know of people who have caused themselves additional pain by not taking things easy when they have a hip needing replacement. Our own BoneSmart moderator, @Jaycey, is one of them. She waited a bit too long to get her hip replaced and the joint collapsed. I've tagged her so she can tell you how painful it was. Please take care of yourself in these last couple of months.

I do worry about doing more damage, do you know of any such stories?
Yes indeed I did experience a collapse. My hip pain was diagnosed as lower back pain for literally years. A few days after moving house I suddenly could not walk without intense pain. The x-ray was pretty ugly.

I found one crutch more stable and it did help me stay off my hip a bit. But waiting when you are in this state is very difficult. As Jamie says - baby that hip!

Oh, sorry to read you're experiencing such pain, @321Evie --really sounds miserable. When I would get the stabbng pain, it was always on the side of my hip, reaching down into my thigh and, yes, as you've been advised, getting into a prone position, popping some Tylenol and using ice or a heating pad is really the way to go. I do understand why a "youngster" like you would be self-conscious using an assistive device, but it IS just a temporary measure and if it helps you stay more mobile, I say kick that vanity to the curb! Hang in there!

Last edited:
Oh @Jaycey that sounds awful I’m so sorry! I’ve had undiagnosed lower back pain for years and I assume now the two are related.

Thanks again everyone for chiming in and advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So sorry to hear this, it seems we all get this. My pain and loss of movement is constantly changing. Rest, rest, use your cane. I’m 56 couldn’t care less what people think as long as it helps me. Chin up. Wishing you the best.

I'm the guy that waited, and is still waiting. I had never been told about having it collapse but through the years have seen deterioration of the joint. It's only been 50 years so I truly got my money's worth.

I’ve had undiagnosed lower back pain for years and I assume now the two are related.
This was my situation.
I was looking for answers for my lower back pain to no avail as various imaging showed no disc issues..
It took a bit..but most of my back issues have resolved. :tada:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
MaxiHound
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom