THR New September Sapphire here

Can any of you share your experience with Spinal anesthesia? I’ve had general, and a block for shoulder and elbow surgery, but this is going to be a new experience and, frankly, I am nervous. Ive read the risks and benefits, but there’s nothing like hearing from people who have been there. Thanks.

I had the spinal anesth. for both of my hips and I sure was nervous for the first one! The nervousness was for nothing because it was such an easy, simple procedure to experience.
The pluses of a spinal are that you will end up with some additional pain relief initially because you are still numb from the waist down. It also let me avoid the post op nausea that was so bad when I had general anesth. for other surgeries in the past.

My anesthesiologist had me sit up and lean forward on the table and I didn't even feel the spinal, they must have given me something through my IV and because I was so relaxed and sleepy. In fact with the first THR, I was asleep. With the second, I was awake but very relaxed.
They keep you sedated through your surgery, like you are for a colonoscopy and before you know it, it's over with.

I will honestly have a difficult time if I ever need a general again, and I never thought I'd think that way.

I experienced spinal also. Just as CricketHip, the anesthesiologists has me sit upright leaning forward, forearms resting on a table and explained how I would feel, light needle prick followed by a warm and numbing sensation down my legs, it felt instantaneous, they laid me down, mask came down...lights out! It went that fast, next thing I woke up. Not a bad experience at all.

Wishing you all the best tomorrow! I hope you get some sleep tonight. I didn’t think I’d sleep on the eve of...but I did! Will look forward to following your journey on the healing side. Start your recovery thread today if you have time and we‘ll leave you the Recovery Guidelines.
@Woodstockhip

Wishing you a successful surgery and a smooth pain controlled recovery. I hope we see you on the shiny (recovery) side when you are up to posting.

Thanks you guys. How's this? My surgery is tomorrow and this morning I got a call from the hospital saying that they had not received ANY of my clearances: blood work, cardiology, and primary doc. I absolutely couldn’t believe it. Tried calling both offices, couldn’t reach a human at either of them. Left panicked messages and am hoping they get their act together. My appointments were WEEKS ago! And now I've gotten a call saying my surgery is scheduled for 8:45 tomorrow. The right hand doesn’t know what the left hand is doing. Aaaargh!!!

Edited to add: at 3:30, they called to tell me they got all the clearances. I’m scheduled for 8:45 tomorrow. See you on the other side.

Last edited:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom