THR New Right Hip Burning Pain

Trailgirl

Country
United States United States
Hi folks, I was just wondering if anyone could help me with these symptoms. I have had a Left THR but now my right is in pain. The pain seems to radiate out to the groin but mostly it feels like it is right on the area where I sit on the right side.. sitting on ice helps, and the pain is constant.. sometimes more than others. Laying down and ice is the only things that relieve it and the pain is constant.. around a level 5 or six.. enough to be a constant aggravation and change my activities. I was well on my way in PT with the previous surgery to my lumbar/SI joints but am wondering if the flexing and movement in PT aggravated something.

I will say that I was experiencing this pain off and on prior to the PLIF and SI joint surgery and thought the procedures would alleviate it .. it alleviated my back pain but this has gotten worse. I saw a neurosurgeon today and they are sending me for xrays. Any ideas what could be causing this pain. Does anyone know if this is the beginning of hip joint problem.. I am not having difficulty walking, but am to the point I am avoiding further activity and especially stairs

I am feeling frustrated as I am still recovering from the previous surgery.. maybe it aggravated a condition that was undiagnosed.. the doctor today said it is "never just one issue"

Oh, I'm so sorry. I'm feeling your pain. What does your PT say?

I had a hip replacement less than a year ago and now it looks like I'm headed for another one. I, too, am frustrated.

It might just be something that physical therapy can help straighten out.

With mine, it seems that the extra pressure on my "good" hip speeded up an injury that was just waiting to happen, and here I am. Well, I'm pretty sure. I went back to my surgeon, who prescribed stretching and then physical therapy. The PT didn't help, so I am now headed for an MRI.

See what the neurosurgeon says. It might just be some angry tendons that will calm down.

Well groin pain is one of the leading signs and symptoms of hip arthritis. Have you had this hip X-rayed?

@Going4fun and @Schaargi thank you! Per the Neurosurgeon they are referring me to an ortho and also xrays. I wish that it was just angry tendons and they will calm down. I know my knees did with lots of rest.

The pain seems to radiate out to the groin but mostly it feels like it is right on the area where I sit on the right side..
Since you feel the pain most severely in the area you sit on, it maybe inflammation of the bursa that covers the end of the bone you sit on - ischial bursitis.
When you see teh orthopaedic doctor, mention that as well.

The orthopedist x ray and told me I had "hamstring tendonitis". I didn't know that hamstrings are in your rear muscle?

Since I have had cervical, Left hip replacement and now lumbar/sacroilac surgeries he looked at my record and said "wow you have a lot of metal in you" "you are too young to have all of this metal"

They said the right joint looks ok and free of osteoarthritis. Any feedback would be helpful appreciated as I am sort of scratching my head at the entire appt... other than I am really thankful that the joint looks ok

Hello @Trailgirl
Wondering if your surgeon advised on how you can obtain relief?
”You are too young to have all of this metal” is helpful how? Possibly you can seek another opinion?

Great news the joint looks okay!
Wishing you comfort as you search for answers / relief. :console2:

You might want to mention something called "meralgia paresthetica" to your doc as a possibility, and/or look at the lower lumbar spine/nerve system. Both of these factors can create what you're experiencing... and can totally irritate nerve endings.
I hope you feel better soon.

@DGrant thank you for that.. I do remember now that this was the leg hit the hardest in the car accident + I have had a lot of tingling and it completely going to sleep while sitting. I will mention this to the neurologist - my neurologist was the one that wanted the Osteo's opinion and may have just been trying to rule out the hip joint. So I guess I am back to it being something to do with nerves.

@Layla .. they didn't really advise me on pain relief other than some type of PT and deep massage in the area..I kinda feel like the problem got worse due to the PT as they were stretching and what they called "flossing" the leg nerves. Yes, I did not understand the comment either, sometimes it's difficult I suppose in discerning where the doctor is coming from.. their perspective.. maybe they were just surprised but I am just shy of my 60s so I wouldn't say I am that young anymore:heehee::old::scratch: I am thinking that weight loss (I need to shed 50lbs) would help alleviate some of this :umm:

Last edited:
You’re as young as you’ll ever be! :yes: If your surgeon can’t offer suggestions that may bring you relief and you feel PT aggravated the situation. Step back for awhile if you haven’t already.

I wish you success with the weight loss, I think given what we’ve all been through over the past year with Covid, you’re in good company. Keep hearing jokes about the Covid 15. Sad...but true. All the best to you!
@Trailgirl

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom