TKR New member

Don't over do it. I am back to work this week and 35% still on my cane, but when I get home as I needed I push my four-wheeler from room to room.

And for sure I am not walking outside without my cane. It's ok to combine options and be ok with whatever for a while. Think SPRING... what a long winter!
I’ve graduated to walking with the cane and am able to walk around the house unassisted.

It’s also because you simply aren’t moving about very much, doing the little things (like fetching and carrying!) that you’re used to doing? Some one else is having to do those things!

I have also been cold since my surgery. I am not on a prescription blood thinner, but my surgeon prescribed two baby aspirins a day, which I guess works similarly. It’s interesting to find out that that is what may be causing the coldness....

I also use layers of wool blankets on top of my soft comfy blanket. It works for me, but it’s absurdly mild where I am.

Some folks put their electric blankets under them instead of over them, by the way. That can help too.

I hope things are feeling better all the time!

Hello Everyone I pray all is going well.
So I need voices of reason- my 6 week post op appointment is tomorrow at 8am. I am stressing a lot because I want to be able to return to work. I will need right knee surgery and FMLA is 12 weeks a year, plus I don’t want to go thru savings on one knee. A little background- I am a personal caregiver/ CNA for 4 individuals with IDD in a personal care home. My job can be a bit physical when there are behaviors but I am most often working with another person. I am able to walk without the cane, steps up and down are a bit challenging, and I am still experiencing pain after doing housework and a trip to grocery store. My hours would be 7am-10am Monday thru Friday and 7-3 Saturday and Sunday. The same as before my surgery-Do you think my Dr. will clear me to work? Thank You

You'll notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. If you would like a new thread title just post what you would like it to be and we'll change it for you

I don’t know if I understand completely- will I get replies to my post?

Yes, your post is right here on your own personal thread. Most people read new posts every day, so they will see yours.

I think your doctor will let you decide when you are ready to return to work. When you return to work be sure to ice and elevate as much as you can while you're sitting. Expect your pain and swelling to increase for the first few weeks and don't do any exercises or PT. Just working is PT enough.

Each case varies Drolle. Err on caution I'd say. Awesome that you are cane-free already. I still use mine about 30% of the time!

Per my work I too had access to 12 weeks FMLA per year. No way could I do two TKRs in one year (splitting my FMLA, if that were possible) and so far I just needed one TKR. I resumed work at 7.5 weeks.

I work in technical education - a lab setting. I have to stand at points to deliver instruction, use and train at waist-level equipment and can sit, lean over individuals to demonstrate, and provide hand-on comfortably. I don't have to bend much or lift. So able to return - with restriction of cane as needed.

If you are doing ANY kind of lifting (or potential lifting) or activities that require sudden motions or actions your doctor may not release you.

Consider the hardest part of your job (as it will come up) and consider if you can do that at once a day to determine your own feeling on returning.

You may know that answer better than your doctor re. precisely what you do.

Maybe you can go back part-time with on an intermittent FMLA? Your employer can advise.

I remain tired some days when I come home, but work for sure has helped me and ranks as my ADL (activities of daily living). It just depends.

As Sisterinhim said work will be all the PT you'll need for a while. I reduced my PT to once a week when I returned to work. PM me if you'd like to talk further.

Do you think my Dr. will clear me to work? Thank You

Last edited:
So curious what your doctor said about returning to work!! I had my RTKR 2 days before you did. I went to my 6 week checkup on February 24th expecting to go back to work. He asked if I was driving yet and I said no. He looked at my knee and my ROM and upped my PT from 2 days a week back up to 3. Then when I asked what about work? He said how do you feel about going back to work now. I replied with well I haven’t driven yet, curious what that will be like with it being my right knee. He then asked are you really reading for full days of work? Getting up, getting showered, drive to work, sit all day at a desk, drive home, then do your nightly things like dinner, etc. when he put it like that I replied no way!!!!! He said ‘yes I didn’t think you were ready for that yet either. He kept me off work til my next appt with him on March 30th. I’m taking it. Healing this knee in the best least painful way is my priority right now. I know some people don’t have that luxury and need the money. But if you can afford to stay home some more then I say take it. Your job sounds like it can get quite physical at times. Good luck figuring this out. Some of the decisions we have to make during this are some hard ones. Do what’s best for your healing is what I’ve decided.

You were right Summer2020 I am not ready to go back to work. I have two more weeks at home - he and PT suggest I go back no sooner than March 15. I agree I’ve increased my activity and the pain is constant. I have PT twice a week and I plan to really REST.

Welcome @dlrolle: Hope every day is getting a little bit easier for you. I’m not far behind you, my surgery was on January 22, LTKR. I’m trying to be patient and take PT seriously but it’s hard some days. They say I’m progressing OK but I’d like to move along even quicker but I know that’s not the way it goes. I too go through the freezing cold, of course when I’m icing and have to put a throw over me and when I need something for pain. Hang in there and hope you can see the progress you’re looking for.

I was freezing for about 8 weeks after surgery! Sometimes I was under the covers with jacket, hat, mittens! Thinking of you dlrolle and hoping you are hanging in there. Sending healing vibes your way.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88