THR New Member Scheduled for July 26th AMIS Hip Replacement

MyHipsDon'tLie

Country
United States United States
Hi There!
New member here and wondering how people have done with the AMIS hip replacement. This isn't my first rodeo with hip replacements, last one (right hip) was done about 25 years ago. I was born with dislocated hips and have surgeries since I was about 5 years old. I've had a pin and screw in each hip and have been lucky with the repairs and replacement. My last hip replacement was done due to it being bone on bone and I literally could hear it clicking while walking and needless to say, I was in a lot of pain but I sucked it up until I couldn't handle it any longer. I've always had arthritis and was just diagnosed with Osteoarthritis in the left hip which lead me to where I am now. My last replacement was posterior and was in the hospital 4 days and it was tough. I'm a bit worried since I am now older and am wondering if anyone has had the AMIS hip replacement (recovery is easier than traditional hip replacement surgery as they are not cutting into muscles) It's so confusing with all this new technology! :loll: If anyone could share their experience with having AMIS hip replacement that would be great.
Thanks so much!

Last edited:
I would allow the surgeon to decide which approach suits this particular surgery best. All the approaches work well. They're all invasive - because the surgeon has to get into the pelvis and top of the femur so there for all of us. There is a lot of chatter about quicker recovery with anterior, which may be true, but it's only a matter of weeks and the end result is what counts. If everything goes right, we're all just about in the same spot in a couple of months post op.
I had a posterior surgery around lunch time, and was home in my recliner for dinner, and haven't had any type of complications. Recovery has been smooth.
On the other hand, I had a few more post op restrictions about movement than folks seem to have with anterior. But even though my OS is really conservative that way, I'm doing everything and anything I want now. My sister who also had posterior had no post op restrictions whatever, so I'd say it would be something to ask your OS about.
Nowadays, we're all up and walking hours after surgery as long as there aren't idiosyncrasies like blood pressure issues and that sort of thing.
I hope all goes well for you, and that your surgery is a success and that your recovery is smooth.

Thank you for reply @subie2021 :) my surgeon has already decided that he will be doing the anterior approach. I just wanted to hear different perspectives so thank you again. I am definitely looking forward to getting some new parts..lol

Have a great weekend!

I have both hips replaced, using the anterior approach. I had good recoveries, but honestly? It seems a bit easier for the first week then all approaches tend to progress similarly. My only complaint is the very visible scars on the front of my upper thighs, but I just opt for swim skirts or boy shorts.

So, do you have a surgery date set up? If you do can you please reply here on your thread and we will get your signature set up.. In fact we can also add your THR form 25 years ago if you can give us the actual year? we won't pressure you to know the exact date..:heehee:

There's quite a bit of good reading, you may find it helpful since it's been 25 years since your last "rodeo."

HIP

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:

I hope this helps and :welome: to the forum!

Both of mine were posterior, I really didn't know where they were going to make the hole when I signed up. I did ask before I went in, just wondered if they were going to use the old scars on the side. My L had hardware from decades previous. My OS prefers posterior and in my case with the hardware he said it gave him more room to work removing it. I went home the next day with both but was offered the drive thru deal for my second as there was no hardware in it but I declined and spent the night with it also.

@CricketHip I, too, have scars on the upper front of both hips. The surgeries were done when I was younger and I was always embarrassed by them as a teenager. People always wanted to know "what happened to your legs?"
With my last hip replacement (approx 25 years ago) I now have a scar on the backside near my bum! I wear boy shorts when going to the river or lakes as I am still self conscious about my scars.

My AMIS surgery is scheduled for July 26th.

Hello and Welcome to BoneSmart! Thanks for joining us.
Is it your left hip that will be replaced? I will create a signature for you and if it’s the wrong hip, please let us know and we’ll edit it. If you’d like to share any dates of previous surgeries and procedure names, we’ll add that info also. Wishing you the best as you move toward your big day!
@MyHipsDon'tLie

I wish I got to ask these questions lol. I will before the surgery my curiosity will get to me! I have read up on both but are not sure where they cut on the skin.
As for scars … your body tells a story. Those are the victories you won. Be proud not embarrassed!

My original scar was directly on the side of my hip. It is old but still looks like they hacked me open and tied it with a shoelace, that was my concern about where they were going to work, I didn't think that spot could handle it. I have trouble finding the tiny thin line of a scar from my 2 THR's with posterior approach now.

@Dulcinea14 So glad to hear your hip surgery is going smoothly! I think my fear is with the anesthesia as I am always worried that I won't wake or I'll wake up during the surgery :scaredycat:I am told I am going to have the epidural which I have never had. I think I am going to tell the dr that I want the usual IV drug to put me out.

I wish you a continued smooth ride with your lovely new hip :) :-) (:

I had never had spinal anesthesia until my hip surgery. I deferred to what the anesthesiologist preferred in my case. I could have had either spinal or general but thought I'd let the experts decide as generals had always left me groggy and nauseous. It was wonderful to wake up without a sore throat or nausea. That said, I've also recently had other surgeries in which general anesthesia was required. It was tailored to my requests and the anesthesia team compensated for my previous issues with general anesthesia. These were also good experiences. I think go with what you're comfortable with but taking into consideration what your anesthesia team recommends. To allay your concerns, I would recommend speaking openly and honestly with them. This, afterall, is supposed to be a team approach and you are a significant part of the team.

I had both of my hips replaced, anterior approach. I had no problems, very easy recoveries.

Marie

Had an epidural and general anesthesia. No nausea afterwards and no reaction. Woke up feeling no pain.

Hello @MyHipsDon'tLie
Today is your big day. Wishing you all the best.
Please join us on the Recovery side once you’re feeling up to it. We’d love to support you on your healing journey. Hope to see you there soon! :)

Bye bye hip pain... See you on the Healing Side.:egypdance:

Thinking of you, good luck.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member