• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

New member, new knee, need help

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
F

faith

Wow! I am blown away by the support! Thank you all.
Today is better. I've made up my mind that after my post op appt tomorrow, I will let my Dr. make the decision about work. I can see myself working half days, and I'm sure my boss will go along with it. \
The thing is, I'm alone, and I don't own a car. My office is 6 blocks away. I always walked ( sometimes I took a bus when I hurt too badly). I'm just going to tell him I need a ride back and forth. It's a small company. In many ways we are like family. Lord, there is only 10 of us, putting out 4 weekly newspapers, of course they need me!
Sometimes I think that every time I make a step closer to "normal", I get scared.
I hope you all have a good Sunday. Thanks again.

Faith

beachcomber

post-grad
Country
United States United States
I think asking for a ride is the ULTIMATE in wisdom! You will have enough challenges after you GET to work without having to deal with your 6 block walk to get there. Make sure you ask for the ride home as well. If you are anything like me you will push yourself farther and harder than you should at work and then be heading for home limping with your tail between your legs, crying. I think Patti, Skeet, and I can all vouch for that one!

This will be my 4th week back at work full time and Mondays and Tuesdays aren't too bad--- but the end of the week is a big struggle. Take every opportunity to save yourself and your knee. Sit when you can, keep it moving if you end up sitting for a while, take ziplock bags/ace wraps so you can ice it if needed. I even ended up using my walking stick 3 days last week. My pride didn't like it much but the 20% load it removes from my knee was a big help.

Good luck!

OP
OP
F

faith

I am definitely taking my cane, only to make a statement that I am not superwoman to some of the people I work with. I have a PolarCare machine and I might take it along. I'll decide that morning.

Sue

Faith, asking for a ride sounds like a great idea, and continuing to do some of the work from home might also help you put in more hours than you can handle putting in at the office. Let us know what happens, okay? Sue

blondie42550

Country
United States United States
Faith,
I am at 16 weeks post BTKR as of tomorrow, and I didn't feel like doing much of anything until mid February, and the weather was so bad then that no one would let me leave the house by myself! I started back to work March 4th and it is mostly part-time. This past week I have put in a lot more hours. I also work for a small company. We are so much like family, my boss/friend used to live next door to me, for over 20 years. They still own the house, her mother grew up there, and my mother grew up in my house. Since this is their "slow" season", they have a yard barn business (we build the BEST yard barn in town!) , they didn't have a problem with me being off as long as I did. Although, nothing had been done that I normally do, for the past 3 months, so I have some serious catching up to do! Not to mention we are starting to get busier! I DID miss it though. I love working with the public, I love people, and this past week of working has been very rewarding! Not to mention, I really need the income, after being off for 3 months. This economy sucks! Gas prices, food prices, EVERYTHING costs way too much! I really wasn't prepared to be off as long as I was. My son just came in...gotta go! Welcome

Nursepair

supremo
Wecome Faith, Sorry not to have welcomed you earlier, I have not been able to get online all weekend. As you have probably noticed the people on here are a lot of fun and absolutely full of support for each other.

You seem to be doing well, I am almost 10 weeks and am still only at 90 ROM and still have quite a lot of swelling. Don't worry about the crying, we all do that, Josephime says it is a great release, I find that to be true.
Keep your chin up, Sue.

OP
OP
F

faith

Well my post op appt went really well. My Dr says that he was really impressed with my progress, and warned me that progress tends to get slower after the first month. He said there was no reason not to go back to work.
So I did go back to work yesterday after my appt and I must say that it did wonders for my mental health. It was great seeing everyone and it was good to do something that wasn't knee related. I came home with my knee the size of a bowling ball!, but that's to be expected.
Today I am suppose to start my outpatient PT, however I woke up with a miserable chest cold & sore throat. So I think I will cancel, do a half day at work and take care of myself.
Boy, do I ever wish I found this site with all of you a few wks ago. You really helped me through a tough weekend. I was so anxious about my appt and going back to work.
Thank you all, I only hope I can be of some encouragement & hope to you someday!
Truly,
Faith

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Pink tulip
Recent bookmarks