• BLUE TOOLBAR CHANGES! We've made some minor adjustments to the categories in the blue tool bar at the top of your screen. You may notice some links in a different drop-down menu, but everything is still there.
Lounge Doctor
ConforMIS

THR New member-concerns re surgery

pcola

Country
United States United States
Hello I am new to this forum and this is my first post. I am a 67 year old female in general good health, 5’6”, 145lbs. I walk twice a day with my dog, about 1.5 miles each and do aqua exercises 3x week at the Y.

I was born in 1953 with a congenital hip dislocation (DDH) which was discovered at age 9 months. I was in braces and wore a 3” lift on my R shoe until my childhood surgeries. I had 3 surgeries at the ages of 6, 7 & 8. Unfortunately my parents never described the exact type of surgery I had as a child. Based on my description of the surgeries, my new orthopedist said I most likely had an osteotomy the 1st surgery. The second surgery was to put a “pin” in my R hip for a year then it was removed the 3rd surgery in 1963. The results of these early surgeries are: 1) my R leg is now only about three-quarters inch shorter and 2) my R leg turns in from the hip to the knee.

I have lived my life with limitations and can stay relatively pain free as long as I keep within my limitations: no walking over about 1.5 miles at a time, no physical work or gardening requiring more than a little weight bearing, etc. Also my R foot has been numb for almost 20 years and it gets worse the more I walk. No one has been able to determine why.

In the past year I have noticed more weakness in my right hip and my gait has worsened. Now when I do my “normal limited” routines I find that I can be in quite a bit of pain lasting for several days. Often my right SI joint can be painful for days. Basically the right side of my body from my waist to my foot is a mess.

I have gotten frustrated in the past because a doctor wants to talk about only one part of my body and I know it is all connected because of my deformed R hip. I finally got a referral and went to an orthopedic surgeon who is willing to look at the big picture and wants to come up with a plan. He ordered an electromyogram (EMG) and my nerves are fine. Yesterday I had an MRI of my lumbar and hip. He also ordered an injection in my hip, he wants to see how well an injection can provide relief and if it does, he said he may operate on my knee first then THR. I know I will need a specially made prosthesis.

Has anyone had a similar life? After years of being told I am a great candidate for THR I am finally attempting to wrap my head around going through two surgeries (hip and knee) and long recovery periods. I am concerned because I live alone and have a 50 lb lab mix who is very protective.

I find myself wondering should I just go on with life although I will most likely become more limited & in more pain or plough through with the surgeries? I will have a follow up with my ortho surgeon most likely in January 2021 and he will discuss the results of the tests and his plan.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@pcola Welcome to BoneSmart! Definitely do not keep going on with life in pain. Technology is on your side. Work with your surgeon to identify your best course of action.

If the next step is THR - you will be fine. Many of us recovered on our own. You may need a dog walker for awhile as you won't be able to do the length of walk and you wouldn't want to fall if your dog bolts at something.

What surgery is your OS considering for your knee?

OP
OP
P

pcola

Country
I don't know at this time about the knee, and perhaps I am premature in this post. Have a f/u in Dec. I mainly was wondering if anyone on this board had THR due to developmental hip dysplasia and not arthritis. I am curious to find out if that surgery is different, ex: have to "reconstruct" part of the pelvis or hip joints to make it work...

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
if anyone on this board had THR due to developmental hip dysplasia and not arthritis
I did but they did not have to do any reconstruction. I didn't know I had dysplasia until I got the diagnosis after a hip collapse. My left prosthesis is slightly angled to insure it stays in what was a very damaged acetabulum (cup part of the joint). Unfortunately I limped around for years before my LTHR. I had my right hip replaced as soon as I started to have pain.

Has your surgeon indicated they might have to do anything other than a standard THR?

OP
OP
P

pcola

Country
He is waiting on the MRI results and I have f/u in December. I may be getting ahead of myself with concern. I will post again once I see him post test results. Thanks for your input.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
Please don't be concerned. A large percentage of THRs are done due to dysplasia. Your surgeon has probably done a huge number.

Lisako76

Country
I'm in a very similar position. I had my left hip done November 11th but it's beefsteak I have terrible inflammatory arthritis.

The hip surgery was not bad at all! The only pain I've really had is my left knee but I do need that replaced too. The hip isn't bad at all, it's so worth it! You need to claim your life back. I am concerned you are alone though because you can't bend over and that is a big deal. I'd try to see if summertime can look in on you.

As for the knee, I'm afraid of that myself so I've got nothing lol. I will say though, I'm 56 and not ready to give up and sit. I'm sure I will do the knee.

Eman85

supremo
Country
Didn't have dysplasia instead I had slipped epiphysis so the femur didn't sit in the socket properly. Basically the end of the femur was in the wrong place so it wore he socket and the femur and the cartilage. I guess my pelvis was sturdy enough and they just ream it out to accept the new socket assembly and they used a screw to hold it. The stem replaces the end of the femur so it's all new to fit in the new socket. I had restricted ROM all of my life and now my hip moved more than ever.
I had a lot of concerns pre-op and really asked my OS a lot of questions about my condition and complications. My left femur had pins in it which is what they do to stop the crown of the femur from slipping, my pins were inserted almost 50 years before my THR. He was confident in doing the THR and had seen this before. He did a great job and it all worked out fine. He also did my right which didn't have pins so it was supposed to be the easy one. He found a bone cyst during the surgery and had to fill that and it all also worked out fine. Good surgeons that have done a lot of THR's have seen a lot over the years and know how to deal with it.

HandyWOMAN

Country
I know someone who just went through a new hip & lenghtened her leg 1 1/2" shorter at that time. Not on this board. She's in her 60's, & had a bad back for years. She , she wished she had done it earlyer.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Scouty
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom