New Knees on 10/16 for MissViv

MissViv18

Country
United States United States
I had my CT Scan today for Conformist knees and got the call shortly after coming home … the date is 10/16. Joined the October Fiesties!!

Excited & scared at the same time … so need this done. I am really in a lot of pain now and activities are very limited. Cannot do any walking without severe pain, so I know it is time.

My surgery is scheduled for 2:00 pm (late) but I have to be at the hospital @ 11:30 am and the hospital is 1½ hours from my home. So maybe it won't be too bad. Just no food or drink that morning, ugh!

I'm glad you now have a date for your surgery.

Here is some reading to help you prepare:

Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing knee recoveries

Congratulations on getting a date. Let the countdown begin!

Advice Needed!!!

My pain is getting worse every day. I am completely off the prednisone and evidently it was helping some because now my pain is BAD. I would say an 8 at least.

I tried doing some moderate quad exercises but now I am sore have trouble getting up out of chairs and I am already using the toilet riser. Can't go out much or do much. Shopping at Wal-Mart includes a scooter with husband pushing shopping cart.

Do I need to try and push it and walk more? Very painful and knee & ankles are swelling. I have been elevating and using ice although probably not enough. Ice a couple of times a day and feet up in recliner.

I am also sick at my stomach most of the time (nerves maybe). I am nervous about the upcoming surgery.

Can't sleep very well at night because of the pain. I take 2 alleve when I go to bed and a couple of Tylenol during the day.

Should I call the doctor's office for a prescription (don't even know if he will prescribe anything). I am in much worse shape that when I visited him in his office on 8/17.

Still have over four more weeks until surgery. HELP!!

Hi Sorry you are in so much pain.... I took Tramadol 400 mgs. a day for years because of the pain. My surgery is scheduled for 10/1 and my doctor has me only on 1 to 2 pills a day and only one a day the last days before a surgery. I cannot take any NSAIDS for 5 days before surgery either. Why not see if your doctor will prescribe a small script for a weak medication to get you thru til surgery. I do know how you feel because even taking this minimal dose the pain is still there but a little more bearable. Good luck!

Not being able to sleep at night because of the pain isn’t fun at all plus it makes daytime that much more harder for you I’m sure but I wouldn’t hesitate to ask him for something a little stronger for night time so you can get a goodnights sleep

Last edited:
I’ve had days like that but few and far between. All I could do was ice and elevate and take Tylenol arthritis. Call your OS.

I tried doing some moderate quad exercises but now I am sore have trouble getting up out of chairs and I am already using the toilet riser. Can't go out much or do much. Shopping at Wal-Mart includes a scooter with husband pushing shopping cart.
I'd stop the exercises. They aren't going to do much to help at this stage and they're probably adding to your pain.
Do I need to try and push it and walk more? Very painful and knee & ankles are swelling. I have been elevating and using ice although probably not enough. Ice a couple of times a day and feet up in recliner.
No, don't push it to walk more.

Instead, spend more time elevating and icing.

Can't sleep very well at night because of the pain. I take 2 alleve when I go to bed and a couple of Tylenol during the day.
Try taking 2 x 500 mg Tylenol at night as well.
Should I call the doctor's office for a prescription (don't even know if he will prescribe anything). I am in much worse shape that when I visited him in his office on 8/17.
It wouldn't hurt to let him know. He may, or may not, prescribe something to help.

Are you taking a little food with meds you take at night? Even a couple of crackers can help your stomach. Aleve, especially, can irritate the stomach. I took it for years and needed to nibble a cracker at night if I took it. Tylenol is less irritating to the stomach but it didn't help my pre-op pain much (it may help you, though, so try it). Something to remember: POST-OP Tylenol works really well! Not as well as an opioid painkiller, but definitely way better than it did pre-op. I was surprised. So when it comes time to wean off the strong stuff, give Tylenol a chance.

I'm also giving you a hug because right now you are in the worst part of the lead-up to surgery. :console2: My OS even took me off Aleve for the last month, and yours might also do so at some point. This part, without pain meds, is not fun. But you can get through it! Your knees might even surprise you.

Many times knees will suddenly, for no reason in the world, become LESS painful as your surgery date approaches. It's like when the car stops making the weird noise the moment you take it to the mechanic. It may or may not happen to you but if it does, don't let them fool you.

Also, as you get close to surgery you will encounter this amazing feeling of calm. It's really happening. It's a good feeling because you know how much you really need this.

Thank you for your words of encouragement. My OS does not prescribe pain killers before surgery. I thought that was how it would be, the nurse said you want your pain medication to work well after surgery when it is really needed.

My husband bought me some Tylenol Arthritis. Hoping that will help.

I use Tylenol arthritis occasionally and it’s helped. I think it’s 1300mgs (650X2) . Extra strength Tylenol is 1000mgs. (500x2). Someone here can tell you the max amount you can have in 24 hrs.

The maximum amount of Tylenol you can safely take in 24 hours is 4,000 mg, divided into 3 doses of 2 x 1,300 mg or 4 doses of 1,000 mg.
You need to check all other medications you're taking, to see if there is any Tylenol (Acetaminophen) in them. If there is, reduce one or two of your Tylenol doses, so you stay within the safe daily limit of 4,000 mg.

Really sick last night. Went to bed at 6:30 p.m. I have been feeling really sick the last few days especially after I eat. No vomiting yet but I feel like I need too most of the time. I was also having chills last night. I got to thinking about the flu or gallbladder. Feel a little better this morning but I have not had anything to eat yet. Planning on eating really light so we'll see.

I started taking gabapentin (my husbands) a week or so ago (1 a day). Stopping taking it - that may have been what is making me sick.

I have not been taking hardly any Tylenol (maybe 2 pills a day) and I have taken a couple of alleve each night before bed for quite some time.

I started taking gabapentin (my husbands) a week or so ago (1 a day). Stopping taking it - that may have been what is making me sick.
That could be it.

Taking someone else's medication is a big no-no.
Gabapentin can have some dangerous side-effects.

Well … we have nailed down the culprit. I am having prednisone withdrawal. I did taper down my doses but I have been on it for three years. Not at the higher doses as of late. I was taking 15 mgs. a day for my knees and it was not helping as it had before. My OS said get off it before surgery (chance of infection).

So I took 10 mgs. a day for the first week and 5 mgs. a day for the second week. Guess I should have tapered down slower but not sure it would have helped much since I have been on it so long. All of my symptoms point to withdrawal according to the internet. The nausea, joint pain & extreme fatigue are the worse. It could go on for weeks or possibly months. Hoping for the best as I would not like to go into surgery feeling this bad.

Praying every day for this to go away quickly and very glad to be off the prednisone.

Have you talked with your OS about these symptoms and possible causes? I’m wondering if your OS or PCP could give you something to help the nausea. The joint pain, if due to not having painkilling meds available, might just be something you have to put up with for a few more weeks. :console2: You’ll be there soon!

As far as your comment about not being allowed to drink anything after midnght before your surgery, I would think at the very least you could just rinse your mouth out with water but not swallow it, spit it out.

And yes, it is amazing all the different opinions of different surgeons! PTs are like that, too. (so if you get one you don’t like, look for another. Seriously.)

My surgeon did not have me stop my pain medication, or my tinnitus supplement, before surgery. He said just don’t take it the morning of surgery.

Sending hugs for the remainder of your wait for surgery. :console2:

Feeling better today. Went out to lunch and met my daughter and grandson. Not nauseous at all today just a very full feeling after eating. I am trying to eat less so I do not have that full up to the throat feeling. Hopeful that I will have more days like today. I can live with this until surgery.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts