TKR New Knee journey to new me

@Rollem1 If your knee is feeling tight you have internal swelling going on. Ice and elevate.

How high is your temperature? You might want to check with your surgeon.
It was 37.4 - I rang the ward and they said they call me back but didn’t - it’s come down again now but knee still tight so legs up again xx

Evening all - temperature settled so i snoozed off and on all day and a gentle walk around the garden. I’m not in as much pain as I was this morning and am taking it really slowly - back on the Ice and elevation however my right buttock/ hip/ sciatic nerve is getting feb up and giving me a nudge.
move resorted to sleeping on the sofa as when I went to embed I ended up rolling into my side which I don’t think is a good thing so me and dogs are camping out for a few nights near the tv and kettle .

It’s bank holiday weekend here and so much to do in the garden but I have resided myself to be the supervisor and the crutches are great for pointing at things .
Physio and consultant on Thursday so that will be a busy day (I will actually have to get dressed )

hope you all doing well and coping xxx

Glad your temperature has settled down. Yes, sleeping is a challenge for most of us, especially for us side-sleepers! Supervisory status isn’t all that bad :snork:.

Glad your temperature has settled down. Yes, sleeping is a challenge for most of us, especially for us side-sleepers! Supervisory status isn’t all that bad :snork:.
I know I’m secretly looking forward to bossing them around and see their reaction - it’s now 2.30am here in uk and here I am sat up wide awake ! Thank goodness for candy crush, Suduko and here

Day 12
Have spent most of it sleeping on the sofa with legs elevated as I have swelling in left ankle (TKR Right) - very little energy other than a 5 min walk around the garden or to the kettle.
Pain has subsided somewhat however now just on paracetamol as not allowed ibuprofen anymore due to stomach issues.
arthritis seems to be staring to flair up but I think I can go back on the biological injections in about a week so can hold out for then.
Turned into a total slob - not got dressed for 3 days and really need to think about having a shower .
other than that nothing to report today
Hope you are all well xx

Progress bit by slow bit! The fatigue lasts a long time, so just go with it for now. I think many of us go through the “slob “ stage :heehee: . You’ll get to the point of wanting that shower badly, and then it will feel oh so good!

Progress bit by slow bit! The fatigue lasts a long time, so just go with it for now. I think many of us go through the “slob “ stage :heehee: . You’ll get to the point of wanting that shower badly, and then it will feel oh so good!
Oooh yes - I am gong to have one later I can’t straighten my leg yet so think I will be told off tomorrow ‍♀️

I can’t straighten my leg yet so think I will be told off tomorrow ‍
They can say what they want, but it’s your knee, and you are in very early days of recovery. Don’t let them worry you with their goals, your knee knows what it’s doing and will be fine.

Soooo day 13 and just been for first physio !
the first thing he did was ice my knee and told me I was doing too much - I needed to slow down on the exercises for at least 6 weeks to give everything time to heal !
he likened it to a broken leg which would be on a cast for 6 weeks - I think we are going to get on just fine .
im 95 on bend which he said was good and only 13 to go to get full straight - I have 3 exercises to do and no more than 5 reps each time - little and often !!!
Hallelujah

Rollem, sounds like you have a BoneSmart graduate for a physio! You are very fortunate he has the right attitude. Sounds like a smooth recovery ahead. Good for you!
Granny, don’t try TOO hard - that knee will bend when it’s ready and not before. Don’t let them push you at physio! It’s your knee and you are in control. Keep us posted.

Day 15 and a corner has been turned - I am walking well without limp and pain and using one crutch. I am able to also walk without a crutch in no pain and properly which I am so shocked at !

swellinmy and pain totally under control and just takingparacetamol 4 times a day.

today I did some light gardening - planting some plants for a few hours with a rest every 30 mins and a knee check - plenty of Ice after just in case.
Wound looks lovely and clean and dressing g changed and can be completely removed next week.
spoke withto consultant and physio at length about how well Ifelt in terms of pain and swelling and range of knee and both said if I was happy to do stuff so was he but notnot overdo it. I know I’m not able to do much like bend and kneel etc but I’m working with what I can do and gentle stretches.

Im hoping I have found a happy medium and am very surprised at what I can do - it like me knee is so happy it’s happy to do anything as it’s now pain free !

slept in bed last night virtually on my front with extra padding on scar site just to ensure I didn’t knock it and it was bliss !!!!

Sounds like great progress! Since it is only a bit over 2 weeks, you can expect to have some days that might not be quite as good. But celebrate every good day and keep us posted.

I'm about the same age and also had RTKR just a few days after you on May 17th. I thought I was doing well, but I'm impressed with your recovery! I'm off the prescription painkillers, too, but still need the crutches for the most part. Whenever I try a bit without them I'm a bit unsteady which makes me nervous. I feel like I can work on my gait better with the crutches.

I also just came inside from repotting a bunch of seedlings into containers, but I'm soooo tired! Sitting here icing my knee and drinking hot tea to warm up (it's rainy and cold here, of course that's when I decide to sit outside repotting, ha ha!).

So glad to hear of your great recovery! I'm having the left knee done this fall, and my fingers are crossed that it will go as well as the right one! It's nice to hear about your smooth recovery, too.

I'm about the same age and also had RTKR just a few days after you on May 17th. I thought I was doing well, but I'm impressed with your recovery! I'm off the prescription painkillers, too, but still need the crutches for the most part. Whenever I try a bit without them I'm a bit unsteady which makes me nervous. I feel like I can work on my gait better with the crutches.

I also just came inside from repotting a bunch of seedlings into containers, but I'm soooo tired! Sitting here icing my knee and drinking hot tea to warm up (it's rainy and cold here, of course that's when I decide to sit outside repotting, ha ha!).

So glad to hear of your great recovery! I'm having the left knee done this fall, and my fingers are crossed that it will go as well as the right one! It's nice to hear about your smooth recovery, too.
Fingers crossed for your next one too - I’m still shocked at the ability of the knee and the trust I have in it now helps massively.
sont get me wrong my soft tissues still have a long way to go to catch up but right now I’d say I’m about as able as I was before the op and very very happy with the good days.
mom sat here with legs up icing too as ankles are swollen (more the left which is the opposite) but again all very copable.
I really think it helped that I did pretty op exercises and also the pain I was in was unbearable so maybe my threshold is higher - who knows but I’ll take these good days as a win xxxx

So today is day 16 - pleased to report swelling and pain still under control - whilst I can walk unaided my hubby and I think i am slightly limping so I have reverted to crutches again to ensure no limp.
ROM still good 90 sat down and almost straight (it’s been bent for nearly 5 years so that’s an achievement).
today we had visitors and I sat outside in a chair for a few hours - boy I was tired and swollen after but a lie down and some ice soon sorted.
Let me indulge you with a before an current picture
11380ADC-31C5-4829-AC6E-53F818CF5E7E.jpeg

5E3CBC26-0C74-4173-9CC5-CBB04143D5E1.jpeg

That's obvious swelling in the second photo! At your early stage of recovery, it is quite normal for your knee to swell up when you're seated for hours. This is one reason we tell people they likely won't be able to go back to work as soon as they think when they say they "just have a desk job."

Next time you have visitors, don't be shy about joining them with your leg elevated and iced. You are in recovery from major surgery and it will be that way for a few months yet. Own your "down time." You've earned it by going through this operation! :thumb:

I did the same thing yesterday with family visiting and the swelling was very noticeable. Live and learn!

Jamie was right. You can conduct your visits with leg elevated and ice applied - they will understand!

It was 37.4
The mild fever of 37.4 that you had is only just above normal, so no cause for worry,
You were wise to seek advice though.

It's not unusual to have a mild rise in temperature a few days after major surgery. It's part of your body's reaction to the trauma of surgery. The medical name for that phenomenon is Aseptic Traumatic Pyrexia - Non-infective trauma-induced fever.

Day 19 - second lot of physio today - totally concentrating on stretching those muscles as they have it been used and leg bent for over 3 years - it’s was pleasantly relieving stretches and felt good !
swelling under control
In knee with some swelling to ankles but to be expected - pain is a 2 (1-10 scale) and all in all a happy bunny.
down to one crutch as physio happy I am walking correctly and ROM 105.
still get very tired and nap a lot but beginning to see subtle positive changes as things settle down. Happy bunny

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom