TKR New knee for me !

Status
Not open for further replies.
@swmrgirl ,thank you for you kind thoughts! Just found out my daughter has a dentist appointment that she forgot same time as my doc appt so will see if I can move my appt or have to re-schedule . :-(
@theresav I think I'm a little better ,but is strange this feeling comes and goes. I want to get another blood work from my doctor to see. I'm sorry about your pain , what medicines are you taking? May be you walk too much during the day? I hope you get some relief to your pain and get a good night rest!
@Stefny sure , once I'm better and I'm in the area I would love to meet you , it will be great! Keep me posted on when you are having your stress test, and don't worry , it's nothing like we thought , the medicine they use now days is much easier and you will barely feel it.,
@wings , yes pain it's not too bad at least for now .. Will see when I start the real therapy , my ROM is really good. As to my upset stomach I stopped everything for a while , may be I got my liver overload with medicines and I'm paying the price now. I will take your advice and call my pharmacist tomorrow to see about the iron.

Thank you everyone! Take care and let's keep up our good work!! Good night , sweet dreams:sleep::sleep:

@swmrgirl ,thank you for you kind thoughts! Just found out my daughter has a dentist appointment that she forgot same time as my doc appt so will see if I can move my appt or have to re-schedule . :-(
@theresav I think I'm a little better ,but is strange this feeling comes and goes. I want to get another blood work from my doctor to see. I'm sorry about your pain , what medicines are you taking? May be you walk too much during the day? I hope you get some relief to your pain and get a good night rest!
@Stefny sure , once I'm better and I'm in the area I would love to meet you , it will be great! Keep me posted on when you are having your stress test, and don't worry , it's nothing like we thought , the medicine they use now days is much easier and you will barely feel it.,
@wings , yes pain it's not too bad at least for now .. Will see when I start the real therapy , my ROM is really good. As to my upset stomach I stopped everything for a while , may be I got my liver overload with medicines and I'm paying the price now. I will take your advice and call my pharmacist tomorrow to see about the iron.

Thank you everyone! Take care and let's keep up our good work!! Good night , sweet dreams[emoji99][emoji99]
Hi Lili
I'm still on 15 mg percocet. .wanting to taper down again starting this weekend but the night flash pain is so bad..sometimes it makes me cry. So frustrating because most of day it's bearable.i ended up wrapping my knee in saran wrap and think it took the edge off. How did you get off yours so soon. Guess we are all different. Hope they can figure your current issues out soon. Starting Pt Tomorrow At A Place nearby.
I never sleep through the night..but that is normal for me.
T.

Theresa 9/21/15 left knee

@Lili....thinking of you early this am Lili. Wishing you well.....I think it is wonderful that you are feeling so little pain. I am hoping you are able to see you doctor soon. Lili...when you take any of your pain meds, make sure you take them with plenty of water. (a whole glass) At one time.....I had a terrible tooth ache which of course required dental work. Anyway, I was taking a lot of Tylenol and or aspirin during that time frame. The next time I went to my doctor, after blood work.... my liver enzymes were way off. They did however, return to NORMAL after a few weeks. I guess my point is....the water is important. I know it is hard to eat if you are not feeling like it or you are nauseas, however you need some food to facilitate healing. A soft boiled egg cut up on toast, and or yogurt may not be too hard to get down. The protein would help with healing. We are all rooting for you Lili!! We just want you to get to the doctor to make sure all is well. :) :):)

This surgery really takes a toll on our stamina and energy just by itself. Having a low hematocrit is going to have an additional effect. I like @Stefny 's mention of the water. I feel like my body kind of has to "reset" itself after all the physical and pharmacological extremes it has been subjected to. I make sure I drink water all day long, and eat fresh, wholesome, nonprocessed food.

As you say, I would want a blood test too. Helpful to see that the numbers are moving!

Love your good attitude. That will take you far, and me as well - it's contagious!

HI friends! I'm feeling a lot better today, I feel like I can eat and have a little more strength!,thank you God!!
@theresav I didn't know when I stop taking my pain pills how much pain I was going to have and to my surprise I don't have that much of a pain,but I haven't been doing much, Just some of the simple exercises ,slides and the cpm machine.I have been resting ALOT! I don't know how it's going to be when I start PT. IM PRAYING THAT YOUR PAIN CAN GO AWAY SOON. I will keep the Saran Wrap in mind for when I get my pains. I wonder why that works! It's a mistery I guess.
@Stefny thank you for your good thoughts, I will try drinking more water with my pills.
@Slainte yes this surgery has been really tough on me, the funny thing is that my knee was the least of my problems this past few days. I'm also eatting eat ealthy . I. Having a blood test done tomorrow morning. It will take a few days to know the results but at least I will know where I am with my numbers.

Now I have to try to strengthen my muscles so I can let go of my Walker !Im trying to walk a little bit with out it but My knee is not strong enough yet , I have to work harder on it

Thank you , it's always so good to open my page and see all of your kind words and thoughts. Good night, take care my good friends !

Lili

@Lili.....so happy to see that your spirits are up!! I think resting A LOT is probably the best medicine. :) I know with myself, even with my non surgical hurting knee....when I rest just for one or two days it makes a big difference in my pain level. Thinking of you and wishing you well!! :) :)

I just had bloodwork done and at 10 wks out, my levels were all over the map. The GP asked if I drink lots of water. I thought I did, but have made an effort to drink more! Don't be surprised if your numbers are crazy this close to surgery. Like the knee, they will improve, too!

I held onto my walker for almost 4 wks. Not sure if it was my "security blanket" or if my DH was so terrified that I would fall without it that I used it so that he could relax! :heehee:

Hi @Thesoutherncook wow! So is kind of normal may be for our numbers not to return to normal so soon.do you or did you feel very tired most of the time? Because that's how I feel , very tired and I sleep a lot. I'm trying the little that I eat to be ealthy and nutritious. I do drink a lot of water,so I think, lol. My PT mentioned today exactly what you said about using the Walker as a security blanket for the risk of falling! Me too! I have been trying however to let go of it a little bit and go for short walks arround the house. How is your knee? Are you still on PT ?

Lili

Lili you are just18 days after surgery, so of course you still need a lots of rest. I stayed 7 days in hospital, mostly sleeping and resting, very few PT as at the time all the med (33 med a day) upset my tummy a lot, then I stayed about 10 days in rehab hospital, besides 2 sessions PT (50 minutes morning and afternoon), I rest or sleep or iPad the other times. So yes, from my own experience you still need lots and lots of rest. And since tummy upset I didn,t keep down too much food then. By the way, my name is Lily, nice to meet you little sis. And I rarely need to nap or ice during the day now, only elevate while watch TV or sleep. Hang in there, you will be fine.

My home PT advised me that using the walker for a few weeks would help keep my gait "straight" until my extension improved. I, being the doubter, tried not using the walker ( going to the cane too soon), found myself limping and threw my pelvis out of line! After my PT adjusted my pelvis, I went back to using the walker! :oyvey:
I'm in my last week of outpatient PT! Yeahhhhh! My knee has great days and good days with a few crummy ones mixed in. If I push it too hard, it balks. I still rest, ice and elevate but take no pain meds except at night. About 4 pm finds me wiped out, so I rest and get my second wind. The swelling is going down as is the tight feeling which makes it easier to move it! All as predicted by the folks on this site who know of what they speak!
So, hang in there! Be patient ( says she who is NOT) and you will be absolutely better than new!! And drink LOTS of water!!!! :chillpill:

HI @Birdy , nice to meet you! I'm also Lili, yes , some times it feels like It's been so long from my surgery , but like you said it has only been 19 days today. I'm such an active person that I want to get better so soon but I know I can't rush things, patience is one thing I have to work on . How long it took you to feel your self again? I can't seem to get out of this hole. I'm tired but I have some Spurs of energy thru out the day. Is that common to everyone? How is your knee? How much are you walking? :dogwalk:

Lili

My home PT advised me that using the walker for a few weeks would help keep my gait "straight" until my extension improved. I, being the doubter, tried not using the walker ( going to the cane too soon), found myself limping and threw my pelvis out of line! After my PT adjusted my pelvis, I went back to using the walker! :oyvey:
I'm glad to hear that your PT gave you such sensible advice.

Walking aids are not just to give you support and there are no prizes for giving them up early. If a walker or a cane helps you to walk properly, keep using it until your gait is always normal.

So glad to hear your body is starting to normalize @Lili with the stomach and back issues you were experiencing. It is interesting in how any different ways our bodies seem to respond to the abuse they have endured - both from the surgery(s) itself, as well as the way we have "adjusted" as our knee(s)/hip(s)/back/etc. have worn down.

Seems we have quite a crew of Californians on here - time for happy hour! @Stefny , @theresav , @swmrgirl (and whomever else I might have missed!). Seems we all have much to celebrate.:happydance:

@NightQuilter....Lynn, Actually, I am in the process...I was scheduled for a right knee replacement for July 28 when I had an abnormal EKG and I got scared and cancelled everything. I just was not able to go from perhaps, having a heart condition on one day and then moving on to actual surgery a short three days later. Long story short, I just wanted to check things out thoroughly before proceeding. In the interim, I am making a move to San Clemente (currently live in LA) to be closer to my son in the event I go forward. So shortly I will be living in a new environment, researching new doctors etc. etc. Some incredibly nice people here on this site, with so much knowledge. What part of California are you in, Lynn?

@Stefny - that EKG would have had me a bit rattled too. Was it done as part of your pre-ops? Might have been impacted by the nerves anticipating surgery - but I have no medical training and don't know. It will be good to be near your son when you have your surgery done.

This site was, as many here have testified, my saving grace as well. People who have literally walked in our shoes and especially the administrators who really understand all aspects of these procedures and recoveries.

I am in Pacific Palisades (near Santa Monica). My OS was Brad Penenberg at Cedars - amazing surgeon - he did my hips as well in 2003.

@NightQuilter ,yes it is soo nice to see my body start normalizing and being able to eat again. Today was a great day! I whent to my PCP office to have him do some paperwork for me ( I drove , my daughter whent with me just in case) then to wash my car ( daughter and grand kids helped) and to the supermarket. ,! And I feel pretty good , not too tired. Of course I came back and I'm resting and elevating but my knee behave very good, just needs to get stronger but who knows in a couple of years I might be able to do the Camino the Compostela .
@Stefny did you have your stress test done? I'm thinking about your move, are you getting a home out there or it is just temporary? I imagine moving a home it is not easy. I have been in my home for about 20 years and if I have to move , O Boy! I wouldn't know where to start from. Take care of your self.

Lili

@Lili.....Lili, that is so wonderful that you are feeling so good.....and so soon as well. I am very encouraged by that!! No Lili, I am moving to an apartment to be closer to my son in the event I have surgery and need some help. Still it is exhausting trying to get things cleaned out and moved with sore knees and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • sistersinhim
    Staff member since March 20, 2017
  • Susie-Q
    Staff member since February2, 2022