TKR new knee feb 21 and a question

thanks Bill. My spasms are not getting better maybe worse. Thankfully they are not constant or I'd be in the hospital. Going to have to rely on Tylenol and Flexeril tonight as my doctor isn't responding to his office today and yesterday he was in surgery. 3 or 4 doctors in this practice and no one can even fill a prescription. I do have 6 tramadol pills but they make me feel seasick and not as effective but will take if no news by 5 pm. These spasms tear my knee up and pain and swelling ramp up. I cant progress this way, exhausted and to weak to function.

Well they prescribed Lyrica and oxy, hope it works but need to find the cause. I need sleep:fingersx::zzz:

I feel for you Backwater. I believe I was somewhere near 6 weeks before I slept "through the night". To this day I still take a Tylenol PM at bed time. My doc gave me Valium for the spasms. It seemed to work. My guy would not prescribe sleeping pills. :-( hence the 6 week fog. Once I managed a 6 hour shot of sleep my attitude improved :).
Take care,
Tony

Thanks Tony will keep that in mind. Tried searching "knee spasms" with a few variants but nothing seems to match my symptoms pain wise. I am immobilized during these and howl and groan like a fool. Anyway another bad night but slept maybe three hours this morning. The Lyrica probably isn't fully active yet so I'm hoping tonight is better. Took a walk about 5 this morning just to get settled down. I like this forum and sorry if I'm ranting. Nice to have this to keep me straight on things.

I'm thinking it's in my thigh. still swollen and now i'm getting burning sensations and pin pricks. Healing up i think the tourniquet wacked the nerve and hopefully coming around. Still having spasms so another all nighter:tiredwheel:

still swollen and now i'm getting burning sensations and pin pricks.
Does icing the area ease this? Yes, it's nerves and soft tissues "waking up". Hope things ease for you.

Hi, at 5-months I was having awful leg cramps/spasms where my entire leg and foot would go into a muscle cramp. I would have to stand up and try to walk to have it ease up. My PCP thought it might be electrolyte issue. As it turned out my sodium blood level was normal low. Maybe give your PCP a call and see if you can get a CMP done to check it out. Something might be on the low level. With the lack of sleep and GI issues from surgery and pain medicine it took a while to return to normal.

These spasms are lasting a little longer and more frequent. Affecting the knee, stiff and super tender. Getting something done Monday or I'm going to end up in the hospital. 2 hours sleep in the last 3 days. Don't even get a chance, as soon as i drift off they hit me and keep up till i get up. I think it's harder on my wife.

I am glad you are going to see your doctor about the spasms. As a suggestion, I wouldn't go to my surgeon for help. They are only concerned about your knee. Your PCP is able to look at all the meds you are on and your symptoms to make a decision on what to have done. I know I am unable to take a statin at a regular dose due to leg/muscle cramps. It could be a combo of healing and other factors. Good luck to you and I hope you get some answers.

I wonder if Gabapentin would help with your spasms? I took it for leg and thigh tingling for quite sometime. Oddly enough, the tingling has disappeared since my TKR so I no longer take it. Maybe ask your PCP.

My doctor prescribed Valium, just extra sleepy while leg keeps me up. Then surgeon ordered a ultra sound but no results though my leg was jumping so much it took quite a while. No mention of that in report

Maybe a neurologist? Does sound like nerve damage of some kind. But so early on, you will probably just end up with another kind of drug.
Feel for you, sleeping is not easy even without this horrible problem.

Yes it seems they want to stretch it out before a neurologist. I got bullheaded last night and took 2 oxycodone 5 mil about 2 hours after a vallum. Slept 4 hrs and leg started seizing again so took another oxy 5 hrs after the last, slept another four hrs and feel better but wore down. But lord does it feel good having slept and my wife is less worried. she talks to the pharmacist and they are surprised at all the scripts and suggested a EpiPen, .

Backwater, I also took gabapentin for nerve pain the first few weeks and seemed to help and eventually weaned off of it. Maybe inquire about that drug? This is not an easy thing to go through. I am about 8. 1/2 weeks out and while nerve pain has diminished, it is still a healing process.

Hi @backwater
I hope the spasms are easing and you're able to get some restorative rest.
Happy Two Month Anniversary! Have a lovely weekend! :SUNsmile:

Happy Three Month Anniversary!
How is recovery going these days? We'd love to hear from you, if you have time to share an update.
I hope you have a nice week!
@backwater

Finally had a EEG test last Monday. epileptic focal seizures coming from right front of brain. this i got in a phone call from my doctors nurse 5 days after the test, hope to hear something more today Tuesday 7/25. Nurse said to take 2 drugs but pharmacy only had 1, levetiracetam. To early to tell but i think it's helping but not tonight due to jumpiness or restless. Been having restless legs a lot and dizzy right when i lay down the last couple weeks but everything else is the same. Rarely drive and just cant concentrate. If i do a little project refinding tools and materials take up most of my time:) Been using a walking stick to get around, height helps if i bump my foot and activate a seizure, used to be my morel mushroom stick. Wife is not impressed with it, i stained it and put a rubber foot on it. :yes: Anyway i thought i'd update this as i hate it when a thread dies without a conclusion.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom